Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's watching Bowl games?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Who's watching Bowl games?

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I can't remember which game it was, but I really appreciated the announcers talking up the players declaring for the draft and still playing in the Bowl games, basically saying the ones that decided to not play were quitting on their team mates and the NFL coaches should take note of which players did what.

I think these games are important to the ones out there playing!
    For the teams competing for playoff spots they do become meaningless. As the playoffs expand, there will be even more meaningless bowl games, especially since the playoff games will be taking place at the same as the bowl games. Until Monday they are the only options for college football at that level, But if there are 3-4 weekends of CFP playoff games the focus will be on those games during those weeks, and I expect fewer will watch the bowl games even during the week. Fewer eyeballs equals less value for ESPN. They'll start dropping games. This isn't entirely a bad thing as there probably are too many.

As for those declaring for the draft, I don't consider them quitting their team. It really is just an exhibition game for the teams so it's not worth risking a major injury even for the marginal guy who could go from a 5th round draft pick to a free agent or free agent/camp invite to nothing. They are often better off focusing on preparing for the draft.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    For the teams competing for playoff spots they do become meaningless. As the playoffs expand, there will be even more meaningless bowl games, especially since the playoff games will be taking place at the same as the bowl games. Until Monday they are the only options for college football at that level, But if there are 3-4 weekends of CFP playoff games the focus will be on those games during those weeks, and I expect fewer will watch the bowl games even during the week.
    I can envision the playoff games being marketed as 'Bowl' games, taking the place of some of the traditional bowls. At least I hope that's what they do. Now if it does play out that way, perhaps the benchmark to earn a bowl berth would be 7, maybe 8 wins? I'm totally on board if that's the case.
    '24 will be interesting id nothing else!

I can envision the playoff games being marketed as 'Bowl' games, taking the place of some of the traditional bowls. At least I hope that's what they do. Now if it does play out that way, perhaps the benchmark to earn a bowl berth would be 7, maybe 8 wins? I'm totally on board if that's the case.
    They already are.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    They already are.
    Which is why I can see them continuing that when the playoffs expand.
    If they do what I'm thinking there would be 16-20 less teams getting bowl games. I'd trade those mediocre bowls for playoff bowls all day, every day!

I have always been impressed with Greg Shiano. Something about the guy I like. He's done a nice job turning around Rutgers.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The bowl designation will be irrelevant. The two semifinal games are better known as the semifinal games and not the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl. And the playoffs will need to be campus especially in the early rounds. Teams that advance to the finals will not be happy playing 4-5 neutral site games (including conference championship game). And when all that happens will the Fiesta Bowl be happy getting the 14th and 16th teams with a bunch of players leaving for the transfer portal or NFL draft because they aren't in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I enjoy the different perspectives. Interesting for sure.

The Pinstripe bowl got interesting with the successful onside by Miami at the end!

K State off to a great start!
    The games (or teams) are getting better now. Most of the bottomfeeder bowls should be over.

Here is a site that lists all of the players opting out of bowl games. Looks like being in the FBS playoffs isn't much of a deterrent to declare for the NFL Draft or the Transfer Portal. https://collegefootballnetwork.com/c...-tracker-2023/

Quote Originally Posted by GFBison View Post
    Here is a site that lists all of the players opting out of bowl games. Looks like being in the FBS playoffs isn't much of a deterrent to declare for the NFL Draft or the Transfer Portal. https://collegefootballnetwork.com/c...-tracker-2023/
    From a quick glance it looks like to me that most (all?) of the declared transfers from the final 4 are scrubs or backups looking for a different team.

Anish just ate a cinnamon brown sugar Pop-Tart during the "Pop-Tart Bowl", absolutely disgusting.