Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's watching Bowl games?

Default Re: Who's watching Bowl games?

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I don't know, but money caused this problem, I don't think throwing more money away will fix it. It never works for our government anyway. (yet they never learn that lesson)
    Disagree, all of these worthless Bowl committees, ambassadors, announcers, networks and even the schools are making millions off these Bowls and since we're already past the point where the players are getting paid to play why shouldn't they make a percentage off of these bowl games? It might not change anything with regard to some of the biggest names who are guaranteed big money the next year but I'd think a lot of these borderline players who opt out will stick around for a payday and maybe we'd see a little more competitive games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I don't know, but money caused this problem, I don't think throwing more money away will fix it. It never works for our government anyway. (yet they never learn that lesson)
    I guess we could quit showing games on TV and make fans attend in person or listen on the radio like the good old days. That would take lots of money out of college football.
    It's OK to not be OK.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We all will agree that 5, 10, 25 years ago it was so much better.
    I realize my posts come across as being against the players getting paid, but that's not really my stance.
    Decisions like such as that are very much a Pandora's Box. Meaning that if this experiment doesn't work, there's no putting the toothpaste back into the tube, there's no going back. This is where we are. If any of us could wave that magic wand and go back 5 years the answer would be YES and we would proceed again more carefully.
    Moving forward, how do we mitigate the harm already done? That deserves more consideration than gutted rosters for the 2023 bowls.

After all, I earlier said this game wasn't garnering my attention, well the lead has changed multiple times in the 4th quarter so the players are still playing their hearts out and the game is indeed competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    There have been some pretty good games. Very entertaining. Cant say the same for the majority of the crews in the booth with their endless prattle. Not to mention the moronic "how does that make you feel" from every mindless sideline talking head.
    Agree. Every game I have watched had players and coaches who all seemed very invested in the end results.
    Don't believe everything you think.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Agree. Every game I have watched had players and coaches who all seemed very invested in the end results.
    The issue isn't the players who show up. They want to win. It's the potential impact of the players who left. In many of these games the teams seemed to be similar impacted so they were still competitive. But if Georgia shows up with all their regular starters and Florida State has half their starters leave, you end up with a game less than it could have been. I don't follow most of the teams close enough to know who their studs are so if the announcers don't say anything I don't know any different. But it was fun watching the freshman QBs from some of these teams (i.e. K State) get a chance to start and run a whole game. One team had a QB that was a backup and entered the portal, but the people in front of him all left so he stuck around long enough to start their bowl game. It gave him a great chance to get snaps and market himself to other schools if he does transfer. Nothing says you can't keep playing for your current team while still in the portal. There have been some great games this week.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The issue isn't the players who show up. They want to win. It's the potential impact of the players who left. In many of these games the teams seemed to be similar impacted so they were still competitive. But if Georgia shows up with all their regular starters and Florida State has half their starters leave, you end up with a game less than it could have been. I don't follow most of the teams close enough to know who their studs are so if the announcers don't say anything I don't know any different. But it was fun watching the freshman QBs from some of these teams (i.e. K State) get a chance to start and run a whole game. One team had a QB that was a backup and entered the portal, but the people in front of him all left so he stuck around long enough to start their bowl game. It gave him a great chance to get snaps and market himself to other schools if he does transfer. Nothing says you can't keep playing for your current team while still in the portal. There have been some great games this week.
    I have no interest at all in players who have left. And I just reject the bolded part of your post on its face. That might well by someone’s expectation and for those people then that is likely what they will “see” or “not see”. For me when I decide to spend some amount of my most precious resource on entertainment I just want to be entertained. Thus far I have been. As you say, those frosh QB’s were rather exciting to watch.

I even heard about a game or two played recently at the pro level where some washed up old fossil playing QB managed to throw for more than 300 yards and helped to secure a playoff spot for the team he was playing for. I’m sure he was not the best QB but he was the best one available. I bet some folks were even entertained!

I have no interest at all in players who have left. And I just reject the bolded part of your post on its face. That might well by someone’s expectation and for those people then that is likely what they will “see” or “not see”. For me when I decide to spend some amount of my most precious resource on entertainment I just want to be entertained. Thus far I have been. As you say, those frosh QB’s were rather exciting to watch.

I even heard about a game or two played recently at the pro level where some washed up old fossil playing QB managed to throw for more than 300 yards and helped to secure a playoff spot for the team he was playing for. I’m sure he was not the best QB but he was the best one available. I bet some folks were even entertained!
    I agree, I've quite enjoyed this bowl season...and honestly always have. We get to see matchups we wouldn't normally get to see.

I enjoyed the Pop-Tarts marketing last night, and it seems like the players/Klieman and the internet did as well. Pretty wholesome marketing.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Had the Notre Dame game on a second monitor at the office. First bowl game I've watched this year. Social media blowing up with the Pop Tart stuff. If bowls want to remain "relevant" that is a good way to do so.
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The issue is what could have been a close game in that case ends up being a 41-10 game because one team is very depleted. So far most of the games with several departures had equal numbers so they were still fairly even resulting in exciting games.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The issue is what could have been a close game in that case ends up being a 41-10 game because one team is very depleted. So far most of the games with several departures had equal numbers so they were still fairly even resulting in exciting games.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Yep, I concede that reality but reserve that it is probabilistic and not deterministic.

So far we have been fortunate to have entertaining games to watch so I am going to choose to be uninjured by the opt-outs for now.