Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's watching Bowl games?

Default Re: Who's watching Bowl games?

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    Maalik Murphy started two games at QB for Texas when Quinn Ewers was hurt and won them both - vs Kansas state and byu. He opted out. Not an impact player unless the 1st string qb is hurt or knocked out. Lots of this going on.
    Arch is still there so they still have a quality replacement if Ewers goes down during the game. Murphy was getting demoted to 3rd string next season if he'd have stayed.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Let's not forget that the players are still eligible to play after entering the portal making the whole timing excuse is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Let's not forget that the players are still eligible to play after entering the portal making the whole timing excuse is invalid.
    Not if they're off the team which I'd imagine is the policy of most coaches to avoid getting stuck in a weird situation. NCAA doesn't require this step but think most teams have a policy to that effect. Otherwise you'd get a sort of clandestine spy operations going on by the teams still playing.

So in other words you make the decision to go in the portal you better be sure you're getting an offer from someone to keep playing.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Not if they're off the team which I'd imagine is the policy of most coaches to avoid getting stuck in a weird situation. NCAA doesn't require this step but think most teams have a policy to that effect. Otherwise you'd get a sort of clandestine spy operations going on by the teams still playing.

So in other words you make the decision to go in the portal you better be sure you're getting an offer from someone to keep playing.

There were a few players in games who were also in the portal so definitely a different policy for some teams. One I know was a QB buried on the bench who got a chance to start because of injuries or exits above him. The team probably did him a solid by letting him play so he could get snaps on video to help with his next place. He didn't do well so not sure how much it helped.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

Point is players are indeed eligible to play. If the coach supports team policy prohibiting it, then the resulting problems are on him. I am not aware of any instances of a player wanting to play out the season and being denied, but I imagine there may be some.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Point is players are indeed eligible to play. If the coach supports team policy prohibiting it, then the resulting problems are on him. I am not aware of any instances of a player wanting to play out the season and being denied, but I imagine there may be some.
    Doesn't really make much difference. Once the players are in the portal they're mentally checked out, and not giving 100% effort.

Have seen it in a number of bowl games this year. JMU lost most of their starters to the portal and let them play, but they were playing tepid, and trying to avoid injury. In most cases, I think it makes more sense to not let them play, and give other players a chance. FSU was most surprising, because they have a shit ton of money, but apparently not enough. And their players turned down the Orange bowl opportunity, which is mind boggling to me.

If it plays out like this for the CFP, its going to be real ugly for some teams. Maybe the players will care about playoffs, but not really sure that will trump $500k payouts from nil.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

They should pay college students and have a general student portal eh.

Lardsin must go!

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    They should pay college students and have a general student portal eh.
    Sign me up. In a few cases these kids are making more than NFL players.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If you just changed the blue to green I'm not sure I could tell UM and NDSU apart stylistically.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The loud band playing a jingle after each play is annoying (Alabama/Mich).
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.