Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On The 2024 Season

Default Re: Thoughts On The 2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Adding to HerdBot’s post above, the DT Coach Entz & Co had recruited was:
    Kian Payne - St. Thomas Aquinas (Overland Park, KS) 6-4 / 255

Great highlight package, looked like he could do it all.
    But, with Payne being a Kansas kid, and KState being short on DL recruits at the time, he accepted their PWO offer and decommited from NDSU.
    In my totally amateur non-coach opinion, I would argue he would be better off with a team that runs a 4 man DLine. And KState doesn’t……

Hopefully the coaches find another DT for the recruiting class.
    It's times like these that I wish Klieman had acepted a job in Florida.

Adding to HerdBot’s post above, the DT Coach Entz & Co had recruited was:
    Kian Payne - St. Thomas Aquinas (Overland Park, KS) 6-4 / 255

Great highlight package, looked like he could do it all.
    But, with Payne being a Kansas kid, and KState being short on DL recruits at the time, he accepted their PWO offer and decommited from NDSU.
    In my totally amateur non-coach opinion, I would argue he would be better off with a team that runs a 4 man DLine. And KState doesn’t……

Hopefully the coaches find another DT for the recruiting class.
    Payne was a DE though...but even if the plan was to add weight and move him inside, that was. 2 year project to add 30+ pounds. Not a fan of his 2 year planning unless he is 100% confident Magin and Palmer will develop

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Payne was a DE though...but even if the plan was to add weight and move him inside, that was. 2 year project to add 30+ pounds. Not a fan of his 2 year planning unless he is 100% confident Magin and Palmer will develop
    Not a fan of 2 yr planning? Tell me, how many O or D Lineman at NDSU see the field consistently in their first 2 yrs?
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Not a fan of 2 yr planning? Tell me, how many O or D Lineman at NDSU see the field consistently in their first 2 yrs?
    It depends if they are physically ready or a project where they need to add weighy

Zack Johnson started at LG as a freshman. He was also 320 pounds.
    Nash Jensen redshirted, was #2 on depth chart as a freshman and a 3 year starter
    Grey Zabel started 5 games as a true freshman until he got injured.
    Cole Jirik redshirted and started for 4 years.
    Billy Turner started as a freshman
    Joe Haeg redshirted and was a 4 year starter
    Kyle Emanuel redshirted and was a 4 year starter
    Nate Tanguay redshirted and was a 4 year starter
    Leevon Perry redshirted and was a 4 year starter
    Greg Menard had his redshirt pulled 2 games into his true freshman season

Do you want me to keep going?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

You're right....some do. My point was that most don't lineman don't play much their first 2 yrs. IIRC both Zabel and Haeg were playing in the 275 LB range as Frosh after coming in much lighter than that.

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    You're right....some do. My point was that most don't lineman don't play much their first 2 yrs. IIRC both Zabel and Haeg were playing in the 275 LB range as Frosh after coming in much lighter than that.
    True but they were so athletic they could pull it off. I think we as Bison fans tend to think every guy is like Cody Mauch ot Cordell Volson. Truth is many are but an overwhelming number of guy are like Dillon Radunz. Redshirt. Crack the lineup as a freshman and get better each year

That's why I was pissed last year when Entz didnt play the young guys at several positions who were obviously more talented

From the Forum back when he committed

……Payne is projected to play defensive tackle for the Bison and is part of the 2024 football recruiting class. He had an official visit with NDSU in mid-June. The Bison have 15 commitments for the 2024 class…..
    This would have been a big get for the Bison. Perhaps a Prototype DT for their system. But, flipping happens every year nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    True but they were so athletic they could pull it off. I think we as Bison fans tend to think every guy is like Cody Mauch ot Cordell Volson. Truth is many are but an overwhelming number of guy are like Dillon Radunz. Redshirt. Crack the lineup as a freshman and get better each year

That's why I was pissed last year when Entz didnt play the young guys at several positions who were obviously more talented
    Went and looked at true Frosh weights for guys you mentioned

Jirik...215 lbs
    Perry...255 lbs
    Emanuel....221 lbs
    Hardie....226 lbs
    Haeg....266 lbs
    Turner....289 lbs
    Zabel...284 lbs
    Jensen was a horse when he got here.

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

I see where Eli Mostaert was listed at 6’ 4” 235 by 247 when he signed.
    Turned out to be 6’ 3”, but got his weight up to the 275-280 range

From the Forum back when he committed

This would have been a big get for the Bison. Perhaps a Prototype DT for their system. But, flipping happens every year nowadays
    As a 3 tech DT, he would have redshirted to add weight. No DT plays at 255. Maybe hit 270 as a redshirt freshman and be undersized. 285 as a sophmore and he's an impact playet. 300 by a junior. Then we got a star like Nate Tanguay

At DE, he was big enough to play as a true freshman. Both routes would have worked