Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Position group nicknames

Default Position group nicknames

Does anyone know the history behind the names like Rams, CrewChiefs, Alley Cats, etc.

My wife asked the question last night when we watched the signing day video (referenced the different names several times) and I couldn’t answer it. I would really like to know the history behind them.

Default Re: Position group nicknames

The Rams is the only position group nickname that I believe has any history behind it at NDSU. It started with Sam Neis who was a legendary O-line coach for the Bison. Jeff Kolpack made reference to it in a postgame article from a few seasons back: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...mes-go-to-back

North Dakota State on a cold Saturday afternoon took their two biggest running backs and went all Sam Neis on Youngstown State.

Sam is the former offensive line coach at NDSU in the 1970s who coined the term “rams,” the nickname for the Bison offensive linemen. It came from Neis challenging his players one day for not playing with full effort and teamwork and a day later one of the captains decided to call the O-line “Sam’s rams.”
    The other ones I believe were made up in the mid-to-late 2010s more as a little recruiting tool than anything else - at least I'm not aware of any history behind the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The Rams is the only position group nickname that I believe has any history behind it at NDSU. It started with Sam Neis who was a legendary O-line coach for the Bison. Jeff Kolpack made reference to it in a postgame article from a few seasons back: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...mes-go-to-back

The other ones I believe were made up in the mid-to-late 2010s more as a little recruiting tool than anything else - at least I'm not aware of any history behind the rest of them.
    Thank you!

John Neis aka SamsRams is his son and used to post here but less frequent now. Good guy. Used to host watch party in Vegas before he moved I think to California.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    John Neis aka SamsRams is his son and used to post here but less frequent now. Good guy. Used to host watch party in Vegas before he moved I think to California.
    I do remember John. After Chaos posted the article, it jarred my memory.

Was hopeful some of the other names had some history behind them too, but what Chaos suggested might be how they came about.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleK View Post
    I do remember John. After Chaos posted the article, it jarred my memory.

Was hopeful some of the other names had some history behind them too, but what Chaos suggested might be how they came about.
    Headhunters = NDSU LBs back in the day. Had to have a minimum amount of solo tackles to get that label.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Headhunters = NDSU LBs back in the day. Had to have a minimum amount of solo tackles to get that label.
    Thank you CAS

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When I was a kid, which was long ago as I'm 81,
    my favorite position group was the defensive
    backfield from LSU. Called themselves the
    Chinese Bandits.

This years group nicknames: DL/LBs could be the Matadors and the ST group could be the Limburger...

I believe Rocky Hager coined the phrase "Perimeter Rams" to describe the blocking ability of the WR's during his tenure.