Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New DC Grant Olson, Nick Goeser Co-DC

Default Re: New DC Grant Olson, Nick Goeser Co-DC

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That's another thing I don't quite get, why the need for a co-DC unless you don't have full confidence in 1 guy. Seems like a weird message to send out IMO
    Maybe it’s different for athletics. But at Universities generally the easiest way to pay people more money is to change their job title.

It just means they'll have different duties/assignments. Article makes it sound like Olson is the main DC.

Not sure what to think but I hope Grant is a better Defensive Coordinator than he is a Special Teams Coordinator.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Bison_Pride is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Have they mentioned who the new Special Teams Coordinator is yet?

Quote Originally Posted by noryan34 View Post
    Maybe it’s different for athletics. But at Universities generally the easiest way to pay people more money is to change their job title.
    This is a great point. Goeser was a priority holdover and they wanted to give him a bump in pay/responsibilities before he left.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

If memory serves, Grant was a hell of a field general when he was on the field. Had the ability to read an offense and direct his teammates. I'm hoping that this translates to DC better than it did LB/ST. Reading offenses, identifying tendencies, and anticipating what the opposing OC is going to throw at him is typically better suited for a DC than a position coach IMO.

I don't hate the promotion, but I'm not in love with it either. We'll see in a few months I guess.

https://x.com/kolpackinforum/status/...Q4GrZGoCkZ3bZQ

Per Kolpack: Lewis Walker will remain d-backs assistant and Jeff Phelps will remain as d-tackles coach.

Not sure what to make of this. But I’m glad Petrino is gone.

Still no definitive answer on roehl?
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    Absolutely are.

Look at Gully and Kopp. Those guys can ball. Had a couple other dudes in there that couldnt get it done and lackluster play by our interior line really hampered our defense's ability to get teams off schedule and get off the field. Olson was in a no win situation and Goose was coaching arguably the best group on the defense.

With the young talent we have, the Bison defense is going to be a force!
    Idk... still not buying it. You named two guys in the entire group and one hardly played any meaningful snaps last year. It's not like the LB position had the attrition issues that the defensive secondary had either in terms of contributors leaving. They have not recruited the position well recently IMO and that's on the position coach as well since I'd assume he has a large say in how the recruiting boards sets up for that position.

I hope you're right though - Grant is definitely a great person and a great Bison so would be awesome to see him be successful in this spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    If memory serves, Grant was a hell of a field general when he was on the field. Had the ability to read an offense and direct his teammates. I'm hoping that this translates to DC better than it did LB/ST. Reading offenses, identifying tendencies, and anticipating what the opposing OC is going to throw at him is typically better suited for a DC than a position coach IMO.

I don't hate the promotion, but I'm not in love with it either. We'll see in a few months I guess.
    It's a totally different skill set. Special teams is more scheme and the players have to execute. Calling a defense is like calling plays

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com