Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ND high school wrestling.

Default Re: ND high school wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I was at the middle school state tournament and it was awesome never had that as a kid. We have 34 boys out for wrestling and a girls team. When I was in junior high I was getting my ass kicked by seniors at the varsity level.

We do have one open weight on varsity. So nice not having to throw the young wrestlers to the wolves. They can develop the upper weight classes.
    Having middle school or even JV "state" tourneys seems like a good idea. Let kids compete for something at against their peers/similar talent level. That was definitely not a thing for us either.

In 7th grade I did JV. In 8th grade I did varsity for duals and JV for most of the tournaments until regionals. I thought that worked out pretty good. No use in making kids wrestle varsity full-time if they aren't really ready for that. Particularly at the higher weights where varsity guys are typically upperclassmen who are just going to ragdoll the chubby middle school kids.
    College of Business Alumnus

Westhope???? Pretty sure we lost in overtime to them that year. I was in the 8th grade.
    Parshall Plaza North Shore

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was at the middle school state tournament and it was awesome never had that as a kid. We have 34 boys out for wrestling and a girls team. When I was in junior high I was getting my ass kicked by seniors at the varsity level.

We do have one open weight on varsity. So nice not having to throw the young wrestlers to the wolves. They can develop the upper weight classes.
    Glad you enjoyed it. We’re trying to improve it a little every year.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Parshall Plaza North Shore

Got it. We lost the region championship to Westhope and then must have traveled to Parshall. I went. Cold day if I remember right.

Lardsin must go!

Yup it was a chilly playoffs that year. Divide county the next week was pretty nasty too.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Having middle school or even JV "state" tourneys seems like a good idea. Let kids compete for something at against their peers/similar talent level. That was definitely not a thing for us either.

In 7th grade I did JV. In 8th grade I did varsity for duals and JV for most of the tournaments until regionals. I thought that worked out pretty good. No use in making kids wrestle varsity full-time if they aren't really ready for that. Particularly at the higher weights where varsity guys are typically upperclassmen who are just going to ragdoll the chubby middle school kids.
    MN has a 7-9 grade state tournament and it's awesome. Like you guys mentioned, it's a great chance for kids who are thrust into varsity roles out of necessity and give them a chance to compete against peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    MN has a 7-9 grade state tournament and it's awesome. Like you guys mentioned, it's a great chance for kids who are thrust into varsity roles out of necessity and give them a chance to compete against peers.
    That's great. Just based on the kind of numbers Minnesota has I'm sure that's a pretty competitive tournament in the later rounds.
    College of Business Alumnus

State duels were a blast. Gave it hell. Shoulder injury and cut on an eye away from winning eh. Our opponent knew it too. Lots of respect for South Border and their fans. What a great year we both had. Fun seeing the true little schools compete and win against the bigger class B schools.

Velva 9 Lisbon 60. What happened there?

Lardsin must go!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

State duels were a blast. Gave it hell. Shoulder injury and cut on an eye away from winning eh. Our opponent knew it too. Lots of respect for South Border and their fans. What a great year we both had. Fun seeing the true little schools compete and win against the bigger class B schools.

Velva 9 Lisbon 60. What happened there?
    To use a basketball term, you guys must have really balled out against South Border. I didn’t think you had the firepower to keep the duel that close.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    To use a basketball term, you guys must have really balled out against South Border. I didn’t think you had the firepower to keep the duel that close.
    Alvy Henderson didn't wrestle that round. Brett Tastad been nursing a shoulder injury all year and gave it a go. Tossed their heavyweight to his back but couldn't keep his feet in bounds. Second period he went down and hurt his shoulder trying to escape. Had to forefit!!! That's 6 freaking points!!!! I'm pretty sure that's the quietest I've ever seen a state championship team fans cheer for a win. They knew it. A lot of those south border boys and northern lights were on a team dueling other states a few years ago. Fun visiting with their fans after. Lots of respect both ways. Not going to lie. I was very nervous after seeing the score of Lisbon vs Velva. We best Velva but not like that.

Play one of us in 9 man football eh. With your 9 best. Let's go!

Lol.

Lardsin must go!