Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome back HC Polasek

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Welcome back HC Polasek

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Defense and recruiting wins championships. That's where NDSU needs to improve the most. After that, special team's coverage.

Complaining about clock management and whatever this meathead garbage is supposed to be? Seriously? When NDSU can't win a game without scoring 30+ points a game, it's pretty obvious where the most improvement needs to happen. Get some new material, guys.

Also, like Ross Uglem, I have noticed that UND's OL coach has been doing a really good job... do what it takes to get that guy.
    Thanks Tony. I will shut up about that. Since I have noticed over the years you are an ELITE football mind I will shut up about it now. Thanks for the eye opening.
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    I really hope we get back to owning both lines of scrimmage. In our most dominant years we destroyed the other teams in the trenches. I feel we have really lost that on the defensive side. Get back to being nasty, stopping the run and getting pressure without needing to blitz.
    I couldn't agree more with this. When we beat KState and Iowa it was because we were as good as them in the trenches which allowed our discipline and complimentary style of football to overcome the talent gap at the skill positions. Having FBS level line play is what made NDSU as dominant as they have been. It is capable of masking some other deficiencies elsewhere on the field.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this. When we beat KState and Iowa it was because we were as good as them in the trenches which allowed our discipline and complimentary style of football to overcome the talent gap at the skill positions. Having FBS level line play is what made NDSU as dominant as they have been. It is capable of masking some other deficiencies elsewhere on the field.
    Agree. That is a very good point.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Agree. That is a very good point.
    I remember talking with Iowa fans at our hotel the night before the game. They were asking us how we thought the game would play out. We told them that we felt like if our DL could get pressure without blitzing and our OL could get push enough for us to pick up some first downs running the ball that we would keep it close and have a chance to win. We acknowledged that they had better WRs, TEs, DBs etc. but the gap wouldn't come into play as much if we could compete in the trenches. When we saw the same fans after the game they commented on how accurate our assessment of things were. Iowa fans know good OL/DL play as that is how they have built their program as well. They were very impressed with how stout NDSU was at the point of attack.

Pretty clear listening to the introductory presser that Polasek is fired up to the thousandth degree for this opportunity and also pretty clear that he and Roehl have a very close relationship - he had a hard time getting words out talking about how he knew there was a guy here that was really special to him that also wanted this job.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Pretty clear listening to the introductory presser that Polasek is fired up to the thousandth degree for this opportunity and also pretty clear that he and Roehl have a very close relationship - he had a hard time getting words out talking about how he knew there was a guy here that was really special to him that also wanted this job.
    Completely agree....passion he has for this program and sincere appreciation for this opportunity was apparent. It seemed to me like he wanted Tyler to get the job as much as he wanted it himself. Makes you wonder if he is going to try and keep him around...

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Completely agree....passion he has for this program and sincere appreciation for this opportunity was apparent. It seemed to me like he wanted Tyler to get the job as much as he wanted it himself. Makes you wonder if he is going to try and keep him around...
    The way he keeps referring to "the staff" makes me believe he's trying to retain pretty much all the coaches but no one has asked him specifically about it yet.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sounds like Tim Polasek wants to maintain continuity and wants to retain players who want to be here and a part of our culture.

Recruitment is turning into Roster Management. Sound like he understands the current dynamic of transfers and player mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The way he keeps referring to "the staff" makes me believe he's trying to retain pretty much all the coaches but no one has asked him specifically about it yet.
    The way he talked about the someone on staff wanting the job and talking about retaining staff makes me believe TR is looking at other opportunities. Maybe I read that wrong but that's what I saw. Lots of emotion coming from him in those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by #1BISONFAN ASHLEY View Post
    The way he talked about the someone on staff wanting the job and talking about retaining staff makes me believe TR is looking at other opportunities. Maybe I read that wrong but that's what I saw. Lots of emotion coming from him in those comments.
    Yeah, he's definitely not planning to retain everyone. Made it clear the focus is on the early signing day right now but that he hopes to have his staff solidified by the end of the calendar year. He astutely pointed out when asked about retaining coaches for continuity's sake that if continuity was the priority he wouldn't have been hired.