Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approving new users

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Approving new users

Quote Originally Posted by PlrbrBison View Post
    What does giving and receiving "Reputation" do for a user? I've read several references to it over the years, but just figured out how to give it. And that I have received some.
    I would like to know, too. Is it sort of like "likes" on Facebook where you get the serotonin rush or whatever that feel-good chemical bonding is that you get? I just have started receiving some Reputation things including a few from Lakes.

What does giving and receiving "Reputation" do for a user? I've read several references to it over the years, but just figured out how to give it. And that I have received some.
    You get nothing. Casey's used to give out a free pizza after purchasing something like 10 or 12 pizzas and they don't even appear to do that anymore.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    You get nothing. Casey's used to give out a free pizza after purchasing something like 10 or 12 pizzas and they don't even appear to do that anymore.
    Thank you. Just another reason to click around in different places on Bisonville eh.

Thank you. Just another reason to click around in different places on Bisonville eh.
    Yeah, the theory (way back 20 years ago) was that you could set have actions occur when reputation got too low (like automatically banning somebody.) There probably was a carrot to go along with the stick too, but I don't know how it was implemented.

Reputation stops at a pretty low number so it stops on a lot of people. If you see somebody with all red chiclets under their name, that might be a red flag.

Most people give out positive rep though - and it's to say "thanks" or "well done" without having to create a post to accomplish the same thing - the "why waste time make post when click do trick" theory of Bisonville.

Apologies to:

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Yeah, the theory (way back 20 years ago) was that you could set have actions occur when reputation got too low (like automatically banning somebody.) There probably was a carrot to go along with the stick too, but I don't know how it was implemented.

Reputation stops at a pretty low number so it stops on a lot of people. If you see somebody with all red chiclets under their name, that might be a red flag.

Most people give out positive rep though - and it's to say "thanks" or "well done" without having to create a post to accomplish the same thing - the "why waste time make post when click do trick" theory of Bisonville.

Apologies to:

I thought when you achieved a certain number of green chiclets, you got a Bisonville tee shirt.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What happened to me as a newbie was that I would try to give a certain poster a positive Rep and then I got an auto message that I had to spread it around and could not give the poster a positive rep until I gave another poster a positive rep and so I went into a random poster and arbitrarily gave THAT poster a positive rep so I could go back to the initial poster and give a positive rep.

So if you got a positive rep without a comment, don't take it too personally.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    What happened to me as a newbie was that I would try to give a certain poster a positive Rep and then I got an auto message that I had to spread it around and could not give the poster a positive rep until I gave another poster a positive rep and so I went into a random poster and arbitrarily gave THAT poster a positive rep so I could go back to the initial poster and give a positive rep.

So if you got a positive rep without a comment, don't take it too personally.
    Yeah they should just have a thing where you could rep me as much as you want but sometimes you have to spread it eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Yeah they should just have a thing where you could rep me as much as you want but sometimes you have to spread it eh.
    Me too eh. Anytime.
    Don't believe everything you think.

So there isn't a t-shirt?

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    So there isn't a t-shirt?
    Apparently, an empty promise.
    Maybe we just need a secret handshake instead of a shirt.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans