Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UNI athletics over budget

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI athletics over budget

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Isn't profit the difference between revenue and expenses?
    The trouble is that taxpayer subsidies get booked as revenue. Make an athletic department stand on their own and maybe 5 are actually profitable. Maybe another 20ish could get there by cutting expenses, and 50ish by slashing the non-revenue sports to the bare minimum to still count.
    NDSU couldn't do it no matter what. Sure you want to make that the criteria?

Isn't profit the difference between revenue and expenses?
    Yes. But not of profit entities don’t call it that. Because they can’t distribute it to owners they can only reinvest it in whatever it is that they do which means that sooner or later (sometimes much later) it gets expensed.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The trouble is that taxpayer subsidies get booked as revenue. Make an athletic department stand on their own and maybe 5 are actually profitable. Maybe another 20ish could get there by cutting expenses, and 50ish by slashing the non-revenue sports to the bare minimum to still count.
    I see your point, but I think it's largely semantics, at least as long as those subsidies keep coming.

I see your point, but I think it's largely semantics, at least as long as those subsidies keep coming.
    Sure, but think of all the perverse behavior and bad incentives such a system can create when confronted with billions of dollars in TV revenue it has to spend (on anything but wages for players).
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Sure, but think of all the perverse behavior and bad incentives such a system can create when confronted with billions of dollars in TV revenue it has to spend (on anything but wages for players).
    That we agree on...

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    G5s don't make money. If D2 became the new G5 and the old d2 and the poor performing fcs schools became d3, I'd be okay with NDSU at d2.