Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard Roehl as HC

Default Re: All Aboard Roehl as HC

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I'm fine with Roehl if he's the best available. Could be he's better suited to the HC role.

Would like to see us do a full search first though, and see who else is available. We have a little time to sort it out.
    I hope they look around unless they are confident TR is the best we can do.

One of my main criticisms of UND's football program is how incestuous it can be with its hiring. Granted, they've had significantly less success than NDSU, so its a different situation. Idk.
    College of Business Alumnus

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm not listening to the wrong people.
    I just get tired of people here always complaining
    about our coaches and that the programs suck and
    ML doesn't do anything. Gets really old when
    you're really old and have supported the program for over 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I'm sure ML must have a shortlist of other candidates. A few days won't change mucn imo.

Is Vigen completely off the table, or people have soured on him as a possibility?
    A few days - agree. A fully vetted third party search firm? No bueno at this point. Early signing. Portal. etc, etc.
    Don't believe everything you think.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    Scottie or Cain at this point.
    Well obviously. Cain would be great. You call up the Broncos and ask if you can speak with him them convince him and his wife that moving back to Fargo to make what is probably less then half of what he is now in the NFL to join the FCS ranks. If he/they did then I'd be through the roof but its unrealistic. No idea what Hazelton is doing now and would be all for that also. Currently as we stand now, Roehl or Vigen are the only real options at this point. Roehl would be a faster hire with early signing period coming up and NIL deal going on now to possibly retain some recruits. You get more motivation and inspiration from Roehl otherwise the hires would be about the same.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Well obviously. Cain would be great. You call up the Broncos and ask if you can speak with him them convince him and his wife that moving back to Fargo to make what is probably less then half of what he is now in the NFL to join the FCS ranks. If he/they did then I'd be through the roof but its unrealistic. No idea what Hazelton is doing now and would be all for that also. Currently as we stand now, Roehl or Vigen are the only real options at this point. Roehl would be a faster hire with early signing period coming up and NIL deal going on now to possibly retain some recruits. You get more motivation and inspiration from Roehl otherwise the hires would be about the same.
    Jirik already did.

Given that coaching changes happen during the playoffs, I don't think we have much choice to promote from within unless Matt Larsen has awesome candidates waiting for an offer whenever their phone rings.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Vigen is my top choice. Roehl is my 2nd choice. The formula is when you have a good program, you try to keep it together

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Im in for Roehl as HC. Hiring a Vigen type may be too lengthy. The timeline isnt ideal with recruiting/portal/ and potentially making Frisco. Lets keep continuity. Being a successful HC is not the same as an OC and he has been a successful OC here anyways. Roehl has the qualities to be a good HC. He understands the success needed here. He can motivate, hes personable, he can continue bringing in the needed recruits. I'd imagine he would surround himself with an experienced OC.
    In my opinion, this is the first time a national search is doable. Unlike when Bohl and Klieman left, the coordinators and assistants are all under contract and can stay in contact with commits. This hire is too important to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    Jirik already did.
    The only reason you don't hire Roehl is because you hire Cain. That is my final answer.

For Roehl taking over when Entz leaves for a position coach leaving the rest of the staff in place is a perfect scenario to move into the head spot without needing to form an entirely new staff. To me that makes the jump more feasible for someone with his level of experience. Otherwise I'd agree it's too big of a jump and he just get some HC experience at a lower level first.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOhMy View Post
    Anyone who says TR should get the job because he "knows Bison Football" is delusional because since he's been OC we've moved about as far from Bison Football as we possibly could without going full Big Fluffy. I do get the continuity aspect but "well, he's already here so..." shouldn't be the sole consideration for a program of this stature. I guess the only positive I can see is that if he's HC at least he's probably not calling plays anymore...
    While I do agree partially that we have moved away from the "old school Bison football" of pounding the rock off tackle all the time to a more air it out offense, I wonder how much of that change was as a result of Entz ordering it.

I have wanted Entz gone for over 1 year (I have not posted it here in Bisonville - my friends that I talk Bison football have been hearing it from me for a while). I think that TR will go back to an emphasis on bigger and stronger linemen (both o and d lines). I wanted Entz gone when he stated that he was changing the D-Line philosophy to more speed rushers (that were not as strong but were faster to the ball). When he stated to do that, we lost the domination of the line against teams, and it has shown every time that we have played SDSU.

I hope that TR or whomever is the next head coach returns to the bigger bodies on the lines - that is what made our offense and the running game dominate in the playoffs as also allowed us to stop the opponents from being able to run on us.