Page 39 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard Roehl as HC

Default Re: All Aboard Roehl as HC

Quote Originally Posted by BisonFB2004 View Post
    Being afraid of change is riskier than going with status quo.
    I’ll see your fear of change and raise you a don’t fix what ain’t broke*

* just paraphrasing the professor
    Don't believe everything you think.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I’ll see your fear of change and raise you a don’t fix what ain’t broke*

* just paraphrasing the professor
    I agree. There has been something special in that locker room for 15 years. It has worked twice promoting within the ranks. I think the largest risk is looking outside of the current coaching staff circle and some jack ass coming in trying to reinvent the wheel. As greenfield says "don't fix what ain't broke"!

Hiring Tyler Roehl would be like UND hiring Bubba only worse. Tyler has zero connections outside of NDSU. He has never recruited for anyone else nor does he have any coaching connections other than the guys that have come through here. If you look at Craig Bohl, who brought in Klieman, Chris Klieman, who brought in Entz and Matt Entz...they all came from other programs which in turn enables them to use their connections for recruiting not only players but other coaches as well...which also allows us to expand our recruiting territory. Again, Tyler is a great guy...but this would not be a good move for us.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hiring Tyler Roehl would be like UND hiring Bubba only worse.
    Lol what what now?

Being afraid of change is riskier than going with status quo.
    You can spin it that way. Another way to spin it is making change for the sake of change and trying to fix what isn't broken is also risky. I don't think it can be disputed that Roehl is the safe hire - that doesn't necessarily mean he's the right hire though. I hope he is because of the continuity it provides but if Larsen doesn't think so then he should be looking hard at external candidates.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My guy I have coffee with, pretty high profile at NDSU/Athletics/Teammakers, said Polosek called him wanted him to throw the good word in for him. He said Craig made phone calls on Tim's behalf as well. Whether true or not, I don't know, but probably a lot more moving parts than even Bisonville can come up with.

This is a high profile job and I would expect a number of people are making similar type calls to get an opportunity to be the head coach.

Hiring Tyler Roehl would be like UND hiring Bubba only worse. Tyler has zero connections outside of NDSU. He has never recruited for anyone else nor does he have any coaching connections other than the guys that have come through here. If you look at Craig Bohl, who brought in Klieman, Chris Klieman, who brought in Entz and Matt Entz...they all came from other programs which in turn enables them to use their connections for recruiting not only players but other coaches as well...which also allows us to expand our recruiting territory. Again, Tyler is a great guy...but this would not be a good move for us.
    The Bubba Boogeyman doesn't work for your argument because he left UND for 10 years to be a head coach at UMD and the DC at SIU. I don't think recruiting would be a risk with Roehl but you're absolutely right that his ability to identify and hire good assistants would be a risk. That's not to say it's impossible - there's plenty of successful head coaches who rose to HC at the school they came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The Bubba Boogeyman doesn't work for your argument because he left UND for 10 years to be a head coach at UMD and the DC at SIU. I don't think recruiting would be a risk with Roehl but you're absolutely right that his ability to identify and hire good assistants would be a risk. That's not to say it's impossible - there's plenty of successful head coaches who rose to HC at the school they came up with.
    You are correct...Bubba did leave to get some experience and then returned. I can't stand the way he has brought in players from UND's past to coach but it is UND so I hope he keeps doing that. Impossible...no...but as someone stated above...this is a very high profile job. In fact, this is the best program in FCS history. There will be many candidates out there that need to be considered. That is my biggest point here.

That's one of the worst takes I've heard. First off hiring Polasek would be more like hiring Bubba since Bubba left UND for other places before coming back. Second of all Tyler's been thru all the changes at NDSU for the last 14 years as a coach and previous years as a player. Discounting his experience because he's only coached here is short sighted IMO. Third not sure how our recruiting territory could expand more then it has, I mean we recruit nationally now!

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So, would a Pat Fitzgerald ever consider this position as a rebound for an eventual round 2 in FBS?
    He's moneyed up from Northwestern so he could live on this salary for awhile.
    Longshot? Very much so. But we're simply all talking shit at this point, so I'm just throwing my shit in the mix.