Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: USD Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: USD Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by sbark View Post
    Cam was locked on target...almost opposite of bobcats game.
    Coaches see it in warmups and call plays accordingly.

Hope he can string 2 more games together.

They best ask him what he had for breakfadt sat morn & repeat it.
    Very few QBs look good when they are getting the kind of pressure Montana State was bringing. While I've said before that Cam is the best passer I've ever seen at NDSU when the QB is given time, I might have to qualify that - he doesn't seem to thrive outdoors when there's a wind - not many QBs do, of course, but NDSU has had some.

Also, that was targeting, or there is no such thing. The USD defender came at Mathis like a head-down Naruto.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Very few QBs look good when they are getting the kind of pressure Montana State was bringing. While I've said before that Cam is the best passer I've ever seen at NDSU when the QB is given time, I might have to qualify that - he doesn't seem to thrive outdoors when there's a wind - not many QBs do, of course, but NDSU has had some.

Also, that was targeting, or there is no such thing. The USD defender came at Mathis like a head-down Naruto.
    Agree on your targeting take. Maybe would have been called had the score been reversed.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, that's another example of inconsistent enforcement of targeting. If Mathis was deemed to be "defenseless" that's textbox targeting since it was most definitely a defender launching and making "forcible contact to the head and neck". If they determined that he wasn't defenseless and was a runner at that point then I guess you could claim it wasn't targeting since the defender didn't really lead with the crown of his helmet (but it was close). I think the fact that Mathis absorbed the hit pretty well and wasn't injured made it an excuse for them to not call it - I'm also convinced that they were actually reviewing targeting and the official just mis-spoke during the explanation since there's no way that pass could've been deemed incomplete.

Back to targeting though the fact that the official makes two subjective rulings in cases like this - first whether the receiver is still defenseless or has become a runner and second, if the receiver is defenseless, whether it's "forcible" contact above the shoulders - makes the enforcement horribly inconsistent.

I think the outdoor aspect is because he doesn't have the cannon Lance or Wentz had. That being said, his accuracy is up there with any of the Bison QBs.

It is so rare to see a college QB (FCS or FBS) with his intermediate accuracy. It really is elite. His deep ball has been significantly improved this year too.

On another note did anyone else notice that the color commentator on the broadcast sounded like Matt Larsen or was it just me???

Quote Originally Posted by primespareribs View Post
    Neither Griz nor Bunnies impresses this weekend...
    In that wind and weather nobody would look impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a great X thread with a bunch of running plays. It looked more like Bison fb with pin and pull and power, etc. I wonder why they went back to some of that now and/or why it started working again? Maybe the passing game opened things up more? Maybe it was playing with a lead?

Whatever it was, I sure liked what I saw.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I watched a great X thread with a bunch of running plays. It looked more like Bison fb with pin and pull and power, etc. I wonder why they went back to some of that now and/or why it started working again? Maybe the passing game opened things up more? Maybe it was playing with a lead?

Maybe it's just how each team is defending them? As a fan, it's tough to see that, especially watching on TV.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Agree. I honestly think this is the type of offense Roehl wants to run, but for some reason he hasn’t had confidence in it the last couple years. Maybe the rb’s/OL are starting to figure it out. I have absolutely no proof of this, jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Agree. I honestly think this is the type of offense Roehl wants to run, but for some reason he hasn’t had confidence in it the last couple years. Maybe the rb’s/OL are starting to figure it out. I have absolutely no proof of this, jmo.
    There is no logical argument for why we’ve been dickin around with a read option offense all year. How could he have had confidence in the read option that wasn’t working and then every time we open it up we put up 40+?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*