Thread: Indy QB Commits to MAC school over P5 Options

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Indy QB Commits to MAC school over P5 Options

A local kid verbally committed to Toledo today over offers from Georgia, Indiana, Washington, Minnesota, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. He's only a sophomore so 2 more seasons before he can sign, and a lot can change. This article is behind a paywall, but some key comments from the player were interhappen.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...g/73588477007/

“That’s the biggest advice I can give. You don’t want to be holding the helmet, you want to be wearing the helmet. Don’t chase the logo. I know I had some bigger offers, but you should find the perfect fit. That’s what I did.”

Polston has visited Toledo five times during the recruiting process. He developed a relationship with Candle and co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Robert Weiner, who was a longtime high school coach in Tampa, Fla.

It's very likely changes between now and his signing day. This is definitely the exception rather the rule when given this option, but it can happen.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Indy QB Commits to MAC school over P5 Options

Sounds like he wants to play day 1 vs sitting on the bench wearing a prestigious uniform. I completely understand.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Sounds like he wants to play day 1 vs sitting on the bench wearing a prestigious uniform. I completely understand.
    And after a couple years of experience he can get paid $$$ and go play for a P5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No guarantee of that. Also in the article:

Kalieb Osborne, a three-star commit from Waterford, Mich., has committed in the 2024 class. Walter Moses, a three-star prospect from Perry, Ohio, is committed in the 2025 class at quarterback.

But better chance than those other programs. I have this team each of the next 2 seasons.

Even if it isn't playing Day 1, getting a real and meaningful opportunity probably carries some value.

Look at Keinholz from Ohio State. Third string as a true freshman. Got to play in the bowl game. OSU brings in two transfers, including a fellow freshman from Keinholz's recruiting class. Now he's QB4 or QB5 after the spring?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Even if it isn't playing Day 1, getting a real and meaningful opportunity probably carries some value.

Look at Keinholz from Ohio State. Third string as a true freshman. Got to play in the bowl game. OSU brings in two transfers, including a fellow freshman from Keinholz's recruiting class. Now he's QB4 or QB5 after the spring?
    But they all think they can start at those schools or they often won't go there. If you think you could start for 3 years at Ohio State or 4 years at Toledo, you are going to pick Ohio State. Not always, but most of the time. If you know you aren't good enough to start at Ohio State then definitely pick Toledo. Maybe that's what this kid. He's only a sophomore, so he still has time. He may get better and decide he could start sooner at one of these other schools. Or he could level of and not get any better and decide to stay with Toledo. Many people here mock the MAC, but it's still an exceptional level of college football. And many have gone from the MAC to the NFL. Everyone's journey is different.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    But they all think they can start at those schools or they often won't go there. If you think you could start for 3 years at Ohio State or 4 years at Toledo, you are going to pick Ohio State. Not always, but most of the time. If you know you aren't good enough to start at Ohio State then definitely pick Toledo. Maybe that's what this kid. He's only a sophomore, so he still has time. He may get better and decide he could start sooner at one of these other schools. Or he could level of and not get any better and decide to stay with Toledo. Many people here mock the MAC, but it's still an exceptional level of college football. And many have gone from the MAC to the NFL. Everyone's journey is different.

Yeah that's sorta what I mean. No point going somewhere if they just want you to be a backup or you expect them to bring in transfers.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yeah that's sorta what I mean. No point going somewhere if they just want you to be a backup or you expect them to bring in transfers.
    They are telling each of the recruits they have the next 3 years they will start but only one will win the job. They may each start eventually due to injury or transfer, but every school brings in multiple QBs. For the most part they will all think they will start.