Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA announcement

Default NCAA announcement

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-bake...fea7167026dbe6

LAS VEGAS (AP) — NCAA President Charlie Baker announced Tuesday that he wants the organization to create a new tier of Division I athletics where schools with the most resources can offer unlimited educational benefits, enter into name, image and likeness partnerships with athletes and directly pay them through a trust fund.

In a letter sent to more than 350 Division I schools, Baker said the disparity in resources between the wealthiest schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and other DI members — along with the hundreds of Division II and III schools — is creating “a new series of challenges.”

Division I is currently divided into the FBS and FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). Baker’s proposal is aimed at creating a new subdivision where schools in the so-called Power Five conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-12 — can operate.

Baker noted that athletic budgets in Division I range from $5 million and $250 million annually, with 59 schools spending over $100 million annually and another 32 spending over $50 million. He said 259 Division I schools, however, spend less than $50 million on their athletic programs.

He said schools in a new tier of Division I should be allowed, while staying compliant with Title IX, to “invest at least $30,000 per year into an enhanced educational trust fund for at least half of the institution’s eligible student-athletes.”
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Default Re: NCAA announcement

Link didn’t work for me…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Swaghook is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

page unavailable

Tony’s link works. Thanks.

…and holy shit.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

This is discussed in FBS better thread
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

They would allow the power 4 to eliminate scholarship limits and pay them whatever they want. I don't see how this is any good for any non-power 4 conferences.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    They would allow the power 4 to eliminate scholarship limits and pay them whatever they want. I don't see how this is any good for any non-power 4 conferences.

Can't be any worse than it is now

Bison4peat is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

PAC 12 still exists bros???

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    Its not, this is for the P4. Only argument is to create "pro" vs "scholarship" divisions.

Problem is the proposal will spill across all sports, be it Basketball, Soccer, Hockey, etc.
    The "pro" tier will be required to pay athletes while the other division will not be allowed to.

Creates two-tiered uneven competition, unless you split all sports into two divisons.
    Even with a full split, the P4 will then harvest everyone else like a farm league.
    Much the same as today, but on a massively increased scale with no limits on payments, or any roster or coaching limits.

Like a FCS or G5 player? Pay them, and add them to the roster in case your 2nd string is injured.
    Like a FCS or G5 coach? Pay them more, and add them to your team of assistants/advisors.

Its no limits monopolization of the whole system by the P4