Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Great article
    https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/s...back-to-voters

It wont be a June vote because the survey is taking too long. Lots of info here to unpack

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

AlumniGreen is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Probably for the best. Kind of a rush to get a June vote. Need to be very, very strategic and leave no stone unturned.

Great to hear they are still working to get this passed. Its not like the dome is getting younger. I hope the plan is now is to just have the dome remodel without the convention center. Always thought this should have been a 2 part plan. I think anyone who has been inside the dome realize the need for it to be upgraded. Put on the ballot just dome renovation, no convention center, and just the lodging tax combined with the Fargodome’s contribution. That I think would get 60% approval.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Great to hear they are still working to get this passed. Its not like the dome is getting younger. I hope the plan is now is to just have the dome remodel without the convention center. Always thought this should have been a 2 part plan. I think anyone who has been inside the dome realize the need for it to be upgraded. Put on the ballot just dome renovation, no convention center, and just the lodging tax combined with the Fargodome’s contribution. That I think would get 60% approval.
    It's gotta be separate. Here's why

The lodging tax can't be used solely on the dome. Only a new structure to attract tourism and goes into a special fund to pay a bond.

I just read the home charter and it says nothing about a lodging tax requiring 60%. It says a sales tax or use tax requires a 60% vote. Isn't a use tax is a fee collected when sales tax is NOT collected?

If that's true, it may not need a vote at all.

Edit. I think I was wrong. State law defines use tax

HOME CHARTER
    Amendment #2 - No city sales and/or use tax shall be imposed unless the question of imposing such a sales and/or use tax has been submitted to a vote of the qualified electors of the City of Fargo, North Dakota, and has been approved by sixty (60) percent of such electors voting on such question.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 03-27-2024 at 03:32 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

And even though all of us should know that a lodging tax is paid for by hotels, I had read COMMENTS by some people (pre Dec 5th vote) that think the lodging tax is to be borne by citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    And even though all of us should know that a lodging tax is paid for by hotels, I had read COMMENTS by some people (pre Dec 5th vote) that think the lodging tax is to be borne by citizens.
    Never mind... state law does define use tax. If I'm reading this correctly, it should require 60%

"Use tax" means the tax levied under section 57-40.2-02.1 or imposed under home rule authority by a city or county.

reformedUNDfan is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    It's less than a mile from the 52nd Ave Walmart and 2 minutes from 45th St. It's a longer drive from the dome to Downtown

Believe me with the 390k SF Sports Center and a 100k sf Conference Center, every developer in town will want to build a hotel or 3 to the south of it. The only walkable area in Fargo is Downtown but you still need to drive there
    Wow Walmart.

We don't need more sprawl or tax-negative areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Wow Walmart.

I agree but sprawl has already happened there. Sports Complex, NDSCS Career Center, and the Capstone Academy. Plus 2 large apartments and a few commercial projects. The next public school is going out there too

Walmart is lame but Suite Shots is only a few blocks from it. Not in the middle of nowhere

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I really hope they are smart about their plan this time. Listening to Izzo's interview of Rob from a couple weeks ago didn't exactly install confidence that they will get this figured out. The guy has no vision on what the Fargodome could be. He might be a great manager but man, we are up against a wall here and he needs to be able to sale this. The people I knew who voted no did so because it was lipstick on a pig. A larger concourse and new press box doesn't set up the Dome for the next 35 years and really does next to nothing to help NDSU transition to FBS. The convention center was the clencher.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Wow Walmart.

You can't undo sprawl. Sadly