Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    It failed. Good.

Red flag when the main leader of a “Vote Yes” group is the beverage supplier for the Fargodome. Gee, I wonder why they want it.
    Yes, I have to agree. The optics were not great on that. Next time something like this comes up, have the prominent people as leaders but not those who have a HUGE skin in the game. And also a few regular people on board early on to run the proposal past them to pick the Committee's brains and see if it will play in Peoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Didn't vote because I didn't feel strongly enough about it one way or the other. Kolpack whining about his pressbox this morning is kind of making me regret not voting no though.
    I am not going to read Kolpack's article or the Forum. Emotions still too raw but for the love of Mike, Jeff should not make it about him in any fashion.

I was almost convinced until we got our property tax bill and up it goes again
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I am not going to read Kolpack's article or the Forum. Emotions still too raw but for the love of Mike, Jeff should not make it about him in any fashion.
    my two cents: I get why it didn't pass however by not passing this we are literally making things worse for Fargo tax payers in the future. Another similar vote will probably take place in future years and we can damn well bet it will be more than the 25 cents/$100 that was proposed this time.

Also, there will be a day when the Fargodome is no longer attractive to events like they have been accustomed to getting in the past. Without big events, the Fargodome will eventaully lose money. Those losses will be paid for by the citizens of Fargo (one way or another).

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    my two cents: I get why it didn't pass however by not passing this we are literally making things worse for Fargo tax payers in the future. Another similar vote will probably take place in future years and we can damn well bet it will be more than the 25 cents/$100 that was proposed this time.

Also, there will be a day when the Fargodome is no longer attractive to events like they have been accustomed to getting in the past. Without big events, the Fargodome will eventaully lose money. Those losses will be paid for by the citizens of Fargo (one way or another).
    You are, in fact, preaching to the choir on the short- and long-term consequences of this whole vote going down. I was a major "regular Joe" type supporter on this project and in the post-mortem, agree with everything you said 1,000%.

One of my favorite sayings is "don't be penny-wise and pound foolish." I never like to say "I told you so" but I am afraid that someday in the future, it will be true. Fargoans will pay for it in the long-run. The DOME is such an economic driver and I do not like the idea of my girl fading in its glory. Other cities' venues have already caught up and are passing us big-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    You want NDSU to use their land for a fucking hotel/convention center??? JFC stop already!
    Because NDSU is making bank on an empty parking lot. It's idioitic to not develop the land. Just saying it should be explored as a complex

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Should have went with a lazy river float park eh.

Lardsin must go!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Yikes it wasn’t even close :/

Unsure of how they would go forward from this point… split it into two different issues? Convention center/ fargodome??

Just my opinion but attaching two similar, but ultimately very different things onto one referendum gives double the ammo for people to vote no. I like this, but I don’t like that, so I’m voting no etc etc

Hope they can pull their heads out of their butts and get something compelling in front of voters next December
    I think you are 100% spot on. Of the 7 people that I personally know who voted, 3 were yes, 2 were no because they didn't feel right about taxes being raised to fund a convention center and the last voted no because he always votes no on all tax increases. All 7 have connections to NDSU.
    Last edited by AKBison; 12-06-2023 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post

That's going to happen whether this passed or not. This is lipstick on a pig. The FD will need to be replaced at some point and it's going to be expensive. Why not put this money into some type of investment account to help defray some of those costs rather then sink more money into a pit along the way?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    It failed. Good.

Red flag when the main leader of a “Vote Yes” group is the beverage supplier for the Fargodome. Gee, I wonder why they want it.
    Anybody that's ever been in a room with Mr. Restemayer would understand why he was chosen to lead this. He has an infectious personality and energy for days. I understand where you're coming from and the optics of it. And at the end of the day Doug wasn't going to be in front of enough potential voters. Monday morning QBing this, maybe the Fargodome should have earmarked $500,000 for a media blitz leading up to this vote. Really get the message out there, and I believe the Fargodome reserve was going to be reimbursed through this anyway.

I was on the fence and ultimately did go in and vote yes on this since I was near the Ramada around noon. I was surprised how low the turnout was since it seemed pretty busy when I was there.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk