Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    One thing to keep in mind for both GF and Sioux Falls are those are "right sized" arenas for most shows. We have that advantage down here. However, we don't ever get the major, massive shows for the same reason. There are just not that many acts where the Fargodome is really practical. You want a more intimate setting. On the flip side, we have no chance of landing a show like Taylor Swift, buy you can in Fargo. There are only so many of those sized acts to go around.
    The smaller seating arrangements in the Fargodome may not be quite the same as the Premier Center or the Ralph, but the Fargodome can be set up for smaller shows. I have no idea what goes into booking an act like to they get X% of ticket sales and/or concessions, flat fee, or does that vary from act to act.
    It's OK to not be OK.

One thing to keep in mind for both GF and Sioux Falls are those are "right sized" arenas for most shows. We have that advantage down here. However, we don't ever get the major, massive shows for the same reason. There are just not that many acts where the Fargodome is really practical. You want a more intimate setting. On the flip side, we have no chance of landing a show like Taylor Swift, buy you can in Fargo. There are only so many of those sized acts to go around.
    The Alerus isnt at all but the Denny is. That's why we should use the hotel tax to build a midsized events center with multiple levels. Turn it into something like the Armory in Minnrapolis with conference space

Or how about a 12k seat basketball / hockey arena if we ever want to add it

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    The smaller seating arrangements in the Fargodome may not be quite the same as the Premier Center or the Ralph, but the Fargodome can be set up for smaller shows. I have no idea what goes into booking an act like to they get X% of ticket sales and/or concessions, flat fee, or does that vary from act to act.
    Yep, I know. I intentionally did not mention that is its just not very nice way to watch an concert compared to a more intimate arrangement. If I was an artist choosing between Sioux Falls and Fargo who doesn't need a massive venue, Sioux Falls wins hands down. I would also argue Grad Forks is probably a little better, too, but admit that is not nearly as nice as Sioux Falls.

With all that said, the other piece is how much risk on the guarantee side is the venue willing to make. That the part were it may be true the FFD management could not be stepping up enough. Who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The Alerus isnt at all but the Denny is. That's why we should use the hotel tax to build a midsized events center with multiple levels. Turn it into something like the Armory in Minnrapolis with conference space

Or how about a 12k seat basketball / hockey arena if we ever want to add it

Why must hockey always find its way into a conversation? ........ like NDSU will add another sport......ever

Yep, I know. I intentionally did not mention that is its just not very nice way to watch an concert compared to a more intimate arrangement. If I was an artist choosing between Sioux Falls and Fargo who doesn't need a massive venue, Sioux Falls wins hands down. I would also argue Grad Forks is probably a little better, too, but admit that is not nearly as nice as Sioux Falls.

With all that said, the other piece is how much risk on the guarantee side is the venue willing to make. That the part were it may be true the FFD management could not be stepping up enough. Who knows though.
    From a concert goers perspective the seats in the upper balcony of the Denny in Sioux Falls really suck. They are smaller than those in the lower bowl, have less leg room and the pitch is a bit much. The lower bowl is great, but most of the good seats are presold to those who bought into the Denny and are not available to the general public. I still prefer the dome for mid to large size concerts.
    The best venue in the Fargo Moorhead area is the Bluestem Amphitheater. Wish they had more concerts there as outdoor concerts with comfortable tiered seating and the option of grass areas to sit is the best. Only issue is the season is only 4 months. Here in Sioux Falls the recently built outdoor venue, Levitt at the Falls, pales in comparison as it is just a flat area with no built in seating and a relatively small stage.
    Last edited by SDbison; 02-05-2024 at 07:35 PM.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Depends on which Grand Forks venue you're talking about. The Alerus Center can get north of 21,000 for a concert but its obviously a bit more spread out due to the football type configuration.
    The REA can hold just over 13,000 which is slightly more than the Denny, but dimensions and venue size are very similar. For various reasons, they aren't as aggressive on shows and the Alerus Center can handle that 7,500-12,000 crowd without much issue, though again, not as intimate as the REA (or Denny).

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Why must hockey always find its way into a conversation? ........ like NDSU will add another sport......ever
    Duel purpose. Basketball the obvious reason plus concerts. The hocoey portion could put bids in for many events. And ues, NDSU would be perfect for hockey

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Duel purpose. Basketball the obvious reason plus concerts. The hocoey portion could put bids in for many events. And ues, NDSU would be perfect for hockey
    A hockey-sized floor option for seating also opens up the possibility for arena football. We went to one indoor lacrosse game in Portland although I doubt there is much demand for that in Fargo.
    It's OK to not be OK.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A hockey-sized floor option for seating also opens up the possibility for arena football. We went to one indoor lacrosse game in Portland although I doubt there is much demand for that in Fargo.
    I think that is kind of East Coast stuff.

The IFL team from Sioux Falls is hosting a game with a team from Maine at the Scheels Arena in April. I believe there is talk of gauging the interest of an IFL team in Fargo.