Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Thoughtful comments. You do have financial wisdom.
    1. There is an excellent book which is my second bible "The Millionaire Next Door." If you can get it (used or check out of the library) get it and read it. I had heard about it years ago and found it at a library book sale for $1. It is how my dad (who put the blue in blue collar) lived his life and he taught me well.
    2. LBYM. Another nugget from my dad.
    3. There is good debt and bad debt. Credit card debt is horrible. When I get my credit card bill, within 24 hours, it is in the post office slot at Hornbacher's. Paid in FULL always, always. When I hear about people with $10,000, $30,000 in credit card debt.....
    4. Sounds like you are young. My dad said, "the day you start working is the day you start thinking about and saving for your retirement."
    1. heard of it and haven't read it.
    3. You know you can pay online now right? Even faster than snail mail through Hornbacher's mail slot. (oh wait I'm young. )
    4. Relatively, I'm actually officially into middle age by a few years (over the hill)! But you probably have kids (maybe even a grandkid or two) older than me.

Went and read all the replies, guess my #3 is pretty mild compared to what rest of bisonville did to ya.

AlumniGreen is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    1. heard of it and haven't read it.
    3. You know you can pay online now right? Even faster than snail mail through Hornbacher's mail slot. (oh wait I'm young. )
    4. Relatively, I'm actually officially into middle age by a few years (over the hill)! But you probably have kids (maybe even a grandkid or two) older than me.

Went and read all the replies, guess my #3 is pretty mild compared to what rest of bisonville did to ya.
    I seem to have heard something about on-line banking but still trying to wrap my head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    But you probably have kids (maybe even a grandkid or two) older than me.

There is a saying "Aging isn't for sissies." Between last night's vote fail and my check-shaming, I have aged a lot!

I take your advice seriously. I did not know about the drivers being held up and will rethink. Thank you.
    I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. My professional career requires me to have a significant amount of knowledge on this topic. I understand your position. I converted to online payments slower than the average person of my generation. I also got my 79 year old mom to switch to online. Generally speaking, it is unlikely they will steal your particular check. However, as Greenfield noted, there are other benefits to paying on line and may help you avoid a nasty mess.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. My professional career requires me to have a significant amount of knowledge on this topic. I understand your position. I converted to online payments slower than the average person of my generation. I also got my 79 year old mom to switch to online. Generally speaking, it is unlikely they will steal your particular check. However, as Greenfield noted, there are other benefits to paying on line and may help you avoid a nasty mess.
    Okay, I hear you. One question is do you think writing checks with the black felt pen as advised by others will stop check-washing?

Okay, I hear you. One question is do you think writing checks with the black felt pen as advised by others will stop check-washing?
    I've heard gel pens are the most difficult to wash. But I would recommend adding layers of difficulty. So, write in big letters/numbers that fill a lot of the space (more work for them to wash). Pay online what you can. That type of stuff.

"Some people know the price of everything (25 cents per $100) and the value of nothing" (A Reimagined Dome that would transform NDSU, Fargo and beyond). One of the many sayings I like.

I give up.

HerdBot - I do hope you will keep us posted on happenings that you know relative to Plan B. I am really interested in what transpires.
    I really have no inside info. I'm a life long resident who paid attention to everything Fargo for decades. I know how to locate public records and since I read everything (for years) and listen to every interview, public meeting and podcast, I'm good at putting 1+1 together. I called this whole plan 4 years ago

I do know someone connected to a developer who would develop the land into a hotel on the SE corner. Not sure on a convention center though.

But if the dome and NDSU were willing to put a city owned convention center on the south end of the dome and they are interested in a hotel by a private developer, not sure why they would reject a private events/conference center. I hope that happens. Then the city can put a performing arts center on the ballot with a lodging tax and then the dome can do their own thing. Whether it's a sales tax or just trying to finance something

Personally I would rather see a lodging tax go towards the FM Diversion Greenway or to build something similar to the Pentagon in Sioux Falls

As you can tell, I care a lot about the city and NDSU

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I've heard gel pens are the most difficult to wash. But I would recommend adding layers of difficulty. So, write in big letters/numbers that fill a lot of the space (more work for them to wash). Pay online what you can. That type of stuff.
    I see there is something called Uni-Ball Pen with Super Ink which is very effective. I will try that. I do currently write in large block letters but thanks for that tip as well. I know I may seem foolish by still writing checks and not converting to on-line but

I see there is something called Uni-Ball Pen with Super Ink which is very effective. I will try that. I do currently write in large block letters but thanks for that tip as well. I know I may seem foolish by still writing checks and not converting to on-line but
    Nope. You are a treasure AG. And you are OUR treasure.

Horns Up!!!!
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I really have no inside info. I'm a life long resident who paid attention to everything Fargo for decades. I know how to locate public records and since I read everything (for years) and listen to every interview, public meeting and podcast, I'm good at putting 1+1 together. I called this whole plan 4 years ago

I do know someone connected to a developer who would develop the land into a hotel on the SE corner. Not sure on a convention center though.

But if the dome and NDSU were willing to put a city owned convention center on the south end of the dome and they are interested in a hotel by a private developer, not sure why they would reject a private events/conference center. I hope that happens. Then the city can put a performing arts center on the ballot with a lodging tax and then the dome can do their own thing. Whether it's a sales tax or just trying to finance something

Personally I would rather see a lodging tax go towards the FM Diversion Greenway or to build something similar to the Pentagon in Sioux Falls

As you can tell, I care a lot about the city and NDSU
    My whole response to you blew up so I will try again.

I hope there is something positive to come out of last night's vote fail. I was crushed but feel energized with some possibilities. If there is anything I know about NDSU, there are some smart, creative types and there is money in this town to make it happen.

I worry about the seeming "conservative" faction (for lack of better word) which may have the power to shut down any tax increases to any improvements. I used to be a volunteer neighborhood and historic preservation activist and I know first-hand how architecture and spaces can influence us. Those designs that you showed us really moved me. I don't know how to somehow drive it into some of the naysayer's heads that government is complex, it is not black and white, and projects such as the DOME project have hundreds of moving parts and taxes are not inherently evil. Some of the comments I heard even yesterday "the FARGODOME needs to learn how to budget so they could pay for this themselves." Mind-boggling. "We are being taxed to death with this project." I do understand that for many people, this little tax may have just been the straw that broke the camel's back. I have to be empathetic to this and throw away my bootstrap mentality!

I believe you have to spend money to make money but that is not a slogan which will endear us to people who are struggling. So, again, thanks for keeping all of us posted.