Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: EDT: Fargodome Expansion Vote vs Old Man Yells at Cloud (12-5-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Our property tax bill went down 2.6% this year. It's not due to special assessments since those were all paid off a few years ago.
    How did yours go down? lol. Ours went up. I 100% voted no because of special assessments for my neighborhood next year:

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/...-cap-proposal/

Our property tax bill went down 2.6% this year. It's not due to special assessments since those were all paid off a few years ago.
    You're in the minority there. Fargo jacked my property's assessed value up 5% last year and 15% this year (which happened all over the place in south Fargo from nearby properties I checked on FargoParcels.com). Likewise City of Fargo tax (not special assessment either) went up 20% and my overall property tax bill went up 10%+ from 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFieldBison View Post
    Good news Fargoans. I'm some minutes ahead of you here and as I predicted yesterday, the sun has, once again, risen in the east. And despite predominant overcast it was a glorious sunrise to boot.

You all are only minutes away...

It's cloudy here,you are full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    You and Chapo cover that. I'm mining the great-grandmas... They have votes too.
    "mining" is that what the boomers call it these days [emoji16][emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    How many more yes votes would it have taken to get to 60% 1200?

YES - 4,122 (51.73%)
    NO - 3,846 (48.27%)

Oh well, better luck in 2050
    Surprised to see only 650 absentee ballots were sent in.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    Was 100% tone deaf lol.
    Most of us who PAY ATTENTION already know what our property tax bill will be. The bill in the mail a few days ago was merely a confirmation. My bill went up a small amount. Off the top of my head in 5 years of living here, maybe has gone up $350 TOTAL. We live downwind from the northside sewage/water plant and 100 yards from a trailer park ON PURPOSE to keep things in line.

We have already done the status street address, rubbing shoulders with the high-rollers, and now just care about a "roof over our heads." LOL.

Yikes it wasn’t even close :/

Unsure of how they would go forward from this point… split it into two different issues? Convention center/ fargodome??

Just my opinion but attaching two similar, but ultimately very different things onto one referendum gives double the ammo for people to vote no. I like this, but I don’t like that, so I’m voting no etc etc

Hope they can pull their heads out of their butts and get something compelling in front of voters next December
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Agree. They can still implement some of these upgrades without a vote. Corner cut outs should be cheap. May need to find some creative ways. A 43 million dollar surplus can be leveraged

Maybe NDSU can find a hotel for the southeast and they can add a private event space but build it into the dome. Like a private public partnership. They could lease, sell or donate the land. The Alerus Center got a hotel / water park. Why couldnt we?

Naming rights?
    I feel reassured with this post of yours. Corner cuts would be huge if they could do them. Maybe some of the major donors could do something if they could tack on a naming-rights marquee thing somewhere. I am looking for the silver lining in this vote, and will be looking for quite a long time but I think the fact that we YES people at least were at 51% and the NO people 49% did help. A few of the polls (unscientific) had shown 70% NO and 30% YES and so at least something to be grateful that did not happen. There are so many smart, creative people associated with the DOME and great architects around here (NDSU grads no doubt), they can give us a smaller face lift.

It did but we need a plan B and we cant wait 20 years

First NDSU should do an RFP for the SE land and see if there are any takers. Would a hotel build a convention space and connect it to the dome? If NDSU leases the land, they won't pay any taxes

Could the dome get a low interest loan from the bank of North Dakota and leverage the 42 million dollar surplus?

Could they sell naming rights?

Could the Park District add something?

Could NDSU build something through fundraising?
    The sun did rise! I LOVE those ideas. I hope the powers-that-be know about them. Don't hide your light under a bushel barrel.
    Last edited by AlumniGreen; 12-06-2023 at 02:48 PM.

I am kind of old-school. If POSSIBLE, always pay off special assessments right away or as soon as possible. I have never, ever understood why some people drag them out 10 or 15 years, especially if they are lower amount of specials. Maybe I am missing something. We had a $250 or so special for some street lights and as soon as they became payable in October, I was at City Hall with checkbook in hand to pay them.