Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Montana State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMartin View Post
    As a Cat fan, after the injuries we wouldn’t have been able to compete next week, better to see the Bison move on.
    Yeah, that was kind of what I thought too. Losing a close game to NDSU might have been a better way to end the season than a blowout loss at South Dakota, especially if NDSU beats USD. And this game just puts a little more spice into the burgeoning Bobcat-Bison rivalry.

One thing: Bison fans always hear about how Southern speed is going to destroy us, but it was Mountain speed that almost did the job. Montana State was quicker/faster at almost every position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Super exciting game and I have some thoughts on our defense play. Our OSL were missing in action on some plays and safety play on run support was terrible. Coach Petrino needs to sit Jung and Wlodarczyk. They have been picked on all year and I would like to see some young players in there. On the OT one play touchdown by MSU there was NO ONE around the end and the running back could have run backwards into the endzone.
    Not very good in coverage. Too many players who take terrible angles and not much instinct. Julian was a big reason Chambers had the long run. He got sucked inside. The defense was better when he was out. Tommy was starting to pick us apart until he got hurt. Even when we do blitz some of our guys dont break down or adjust to where the play is. Sometimes you just gotta use football iq.

TK Marshall should be getting more carries than Barika. Barika just doesnt have the vision yet and TK has some juice. Hopefully the run plays yesterday opens the offense more and we can do more under center stuff. The play action passing was there when we tried it.

If both Bison QB'S are being offered big paydays in the portal isn't the SDSU QB getting the same big offer?

With these offers rumored to be between $100,000 and $250,000 that doesn't guarantee a starting spot. The FBS schools could also have bigger offers to FBS transfer QB'S.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    The timing on this is pretty shitty.

But, it affects other teams too, possibly SDSU and others in the playoffs.
    Also, impacts FBS teams with their bowl games. At some point, I think they may adjust the portal dates.
    Are we the only Defense in the country that might get better after our portal kids leave?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

It seemed like our running backs (including QBs) were slow and/or tentative about where to go except for a couple of plays.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It seemed like our running backs (including QBs) were slow and/or tentative about where to go except for a couple of plays.
    I think it's directly correlated to our formation. Tamerik looks like a different back running out of the I formation than he does on RPO plays. Same for the other RBs. Raja is dynamic because he's getting the ball with a running start.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    One thing I thought I saw was that NDSU had a couple of huge plays stopped dead because the Bobcat defender won a one on one with our guy (and in one pass in the flat a one on three.) On some plays the Montana State player was on the ground and just managed to trip up our guy by throwing out an arm too. I'm going to watch the game again today so I can be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    One thing I thought I saw was that NDSU had a couple of huge plays stopped dead because the Bobcat defender won a one on one with our guy (and in one pass in the flat a one on three.) On some plays the Montana State player was on the ground and just managed to trip up our guy by throwing out an arm too. I'm going to watch the game again today so I can be more specific.
    Translation: Montana State is/was better at tackling than NDSU.

If it saves you some rigorous film study, I think we all already knew that…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    I think it's directly correlated to our formation. Tamerik looks like a different back running out of the I formation than he does on RPO plays. Same for the other RBs. Raja is dynamic because he's getting the ball with a running start.
    I agree with you. We had better plays under center all game long. I don't know why we just do that all game. Also when Cam's under center we need some quick hitters over the middle to take the pressure off Cam. Those slants over the middle are almost impossible to cover.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Based on my amateur eyes alot of LBs struggled yesterday. Benson didn't look very good when he was out there but I think at this point you have to play him over Wlodarczyk and let the young guy take his lumps because with more playing time I think he'd be better than Wlodarczyk (if he isn't already). Weerts struggled mightily as well - he's had plenty of noticeable missed tackles but that miss behind the LOS on Mellott's 66 yard TD run when he had a free shot at the ball carrier was the worst of the year. Really need to see some improvement in that LB group next year - I've just accepted that they're going to be a liability this year.
    Agree on Weerts. I don't care how many FBS offers and stars he had. IMO Kubitz is a far better option at MLB! Had a big solo TFL yesterday...actually think he had 4 or 5 solo tackles and didn't see the field near the time Weerts did.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!