Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green and the Gold Collective Sunday Night Event

Default Re: The Green and the Gold Collective Sunday Night Event

To me as a manager, I just look at who is the most valuable and try to do as much as I can to reward them and differentiate vs. their peers based on performance. Of course that isn't completely objective but I do the best I can. I don't know if employees often appreciate how much more valuable some are vs. others.

To me it's not about equity, it's about performance and value. I couldn't give two shits about gender, age or race.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    To me as a manager, I just look at who is the most valuable and try to do as much as I can to reward them and differentiate vs. their peers based on performance. Of course that isn't completely objective but I do the best I can. I don't know if employees often appreciate how much more valuable some are vs. others.

To me it's not about equity, it's about performance and value. I couldn't give two shits about gender, age or race.
    Equity is not only misunderstood but in my opinion a big problem to try to come to grips with. I don't know if you are truly a manager or just speaking hypothetically but I wish you had been my boss when I was employed, given your philosophy.

Also a fair manager has a high-altitude view of all employees' performance and production whereas employees do not see their own value as opposed to others in an objective manner.

I have been retired pushing 7 years, and it seems the whole work environment has really changed in even those short 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Equity is not only misunderstood but in my opinion a big problem to try to come to grips with. I don't know if you are truly a manager or just speaking hypothetically but I wish you had been my boss when I was employed, given your philosophy.

Also a fair manager has a high-altitude view of all employees' performance and production whereas employees do not see their own value as opposed to others in an objective manner.

I have been retired pushing 7 years, and it seems the whole work environment has really changed in even those short 7 years.
    Yes, agreed. Good point about the high-altitude view.

You never know where you'll find good talent or what they look like. My best two employees have both been younger than me, one significantly so, one of each gender and they had very different personalities. But they both delivered outsized results and were rewarded as such.

To me you can't go wrong if you focus on what people can deliver instead of what others expect or what someone looks like.

I guess I am not sure why you think I am saying something different. I have never said nor implied that every employee should be paid the same. However, pay transparency has been proven to boost starting pay for newly hired women at some companies. Research showed women hired at the same time as men with equivalent or greater resumes were hired at lower salaries in part because women were less likely to negotiate. Those women continued to lag behind men until they left that company.

Pay transparency does not equal identical pay for everyone.

As a manager, are you not comfortable justifying why you are paying your employees a certain salary?

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I guess I am not sure why you think I am saying something different. I have never said nor implied that every employee should be paid the same. However, pay transparency has been proven to boost starting pay for newly hired women at some companies. Research showed women hired at the same time as men with equivalent or greater resumes were hired at lower salaries in part because women were less likely to negotiate. Those women continued to lag behind men until they left that company.

Pay transparency does not equal identical pay for everyone.

As a manager, are you not comfortable justifying why you are paying your employees a certain salary?
    I was just sharing my philosophy and pointing out that what other people see as unfair may be fully justified by performance. I don't think I quoted you in that particular post.

I think you're right about women being less likely to negotiate. My advice to them....negotiate.

I was just sharing my philosophy and pointing out that what other people see as unfair may be fully justified by performance. I don't think I quoted you in that particular post.

I think you're right about women being less likely to negotiate. My advice to them....negotiate.
    You are completely correct that a decent portion of the workforce can't properly assess their performance especially compared to others. both positively and negatively.

I entered the workforce in the 90s as part of the "never discuss your pay" generation. But now I am a senior leader at a company that hires in CA so we have no option. And while I still never discuss MY pay with anyone, I have seen value of pay transparency in the real world. Particularly, at my company, due to convoluted archaic HR approaches, long tenured employees or people who rose throughout the ranks could be severely underpaid compared to new hires. Pay transparency has been a godsend to stop that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    You are completely correct that a decent portion of the workforce can't properly assess their performance especially compared to others. both positively and negatively.

I entered the workforce in the 90s as part of the "never discuss your pay" generation. But now I am a senior leader at a company that hires in CA so we have no option. And while I still never discuss MY pay with anyone, I have seen value of pay transparency in the real world. Particularly, at my company, due to convoluted archaic HR approaches, long tenured employees or people who rose throughout the ranks could be severely underpaid compared to new hires. Pay transparency has been a godsend to stop that nonsense.
    Can't you tell from headhunters if you're underpaid? That's how I know if I'm getting what I'm worth.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was never a manager but I read up a lot on male versus female workforce behaviors and politics. I wonder if women are reluctant to negotiate because that may be seen as being "bitchy" or aggressive.

A lot of times people don't have an accurate view of their abilities compared to others though and they blame it on discrimination of some type, so it can cause issues even if the differences are done for good reasons.
    Also why it’s important to have defined and tangible ladder definitions for every role and level of role in your organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched Cole in Hot Mic from Monday’s show. Great job giving some insight into the whole “process” that he had to navigate. His character is pretty awesome. He’s what we want as a Bison. He will do well in life when his days on the playing field come to an end. Not that I needed much of a push to become part of the Green and Gold but I still had reservations. His time with Izzo today solidified that I made the right choice to get involved and solidified, for me, that it was a good decision to do so. I have an even greater appreciation for what Jay, Curt, et al have accomplished thus far. Kudos to coach Polasek for hitting the ground running with this on relatively short notice for him as well.