Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL vs College Football if you had to pick one or the other...

Default Re: NFL vs College Football if you had to pick one or the other...

I've gone back and forth. As a kid until high school, it was clearly NFL. (yes, I'm an abused Vikings fan) Even though I was always an NDSU fan, I flipped to college while in college, even though I still followed NFL closely. Like others said, the electricity before an big college game is insane. (and I've been to numerous Vikings/Packers games; its just different) After college, I was firmly back in the NFL camp (although the '98 Vikings permanently scared me not to get over invested) until NDSU went D1. I never fully gave up following NDSU, but it just got different. Bigger games, bigger stakes, bigger everything. from 2006 Gopher near win on, I was firmly back in the college camp.

Now, I feel I may be gravitating more back to the NFL, mainly due to its a fair system with an equal playing field/equal opportunity. This NIL stuff has me very, very concerned, not to mention how NDSU has little to no control on the FCS vs FBS stuff. It is going to widen an already very unfair playing field. I wish I had a solution to fix college football, but I wonder if the glory days, even for the highest levels, have passed. Hard to say. I'm not checking out by any means, and am hopeful Jay's work on the G and G collective will at least stabilize NDSU's situation.

I prefer college. The portal and NIL stuff takes away some of the fun (particularly at the feeder schools). Oh well I guess
    College of Business Alumnus

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Let me comment on the portal & NIL.
    I was certain that it would ruin the game and the top 20 teams would distance themselves greatly from the rest of the field. I must eat crow because quite the opposite has happened.
    Many of the teams that were consistently rated have fallen off. Some significantly. Many teams have been able to acquire that 'missing link' and have flourished due to luring them from the portal with NIL deals. (Arizona, NC State, Tulane, Liberty to name a few)
    Don't get me wrong, I hate it. But it's not going away. We can only hope it gets fine tuned to not be so detrimental to the team cultivating then losing the talent.
    But my point is that it has actually closed the gap between the haves & have nots.

College

The NFL is woke weak hot garbage with that Goodell slimeball who is so greasy he makes politicians look normal.

I havent watched one snap of that shit in at least 7 years if not a decade
    AG1 - by himself at the West Acres food court

Quote Originally Posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
    College

The NFL is woke weak hot garbage with that Goodell slimeball who is so greasy he makes politicians look normal.

Thing that drives me crazy is the fines for the clean hits that are given out; part of why I still gravitate to college. Mr Goodell, it is a dangerous game, thus why they get paid so darn much. I get the head shot stuff, and that has improved, but when you talk about banning hip drop tackles, and the previous insanity of not allowing a players full weight hit a QB on a clean hit, its bullshit (A Rog has helped ruin football....).

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
    College

I agree Mike.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

College.

I don't care if a team from a city/state that I have never lived in wins or loses. With that being said, I hardly watch any football. I'm too busy in the outdoors living a full life.

I think still college, but could easily see giving up on it if my worse fears about NIL, transfer portal, and realignment all come true.

There is something to the parity of opportunity in the NFL that keeps it interesting, and that will only get worse as college tries to be the NFL but without spending contraints.

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like both at 50/50 but college is starting to dip for me. It's not NIL in principle that bugs me, it's that the amount being spent has nothing to do with market forces. You think the backup long snapper at Nebraska deserves NIL money if the market were to dictate? It's all just a dick measuring contest between boosters, and the big schools have a lot more big swingers.
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

1. Bison (college)
    2. Former Bison players (select NFL teams)

What can I say? More Bison, please!
    Bison gonna Bison, FCS or FBS(tm)