Thread: Epic Bison Game at UND - 1972

Default Epic Bison Game at UND - 1972

An old memory... I found this ticket today. My brother and I went to UND to see the Bison and I'm pretty sure that UND was ranked #1 at the time. The Bison were behind by a couple of scores pretty late in the game but somehow caught up. Near the end Donny Severson (QB from Casselton) walked into the end zone on a bootleg. No one was even close to him. Memorial Stadium went absolutely silent. Game over. Jerry Dahl... one of the greatest defensive players in Bison history... walked off the field at the end with his helmet off... blood running down his face... and a huge smile. It's one of my favorite Bison games. Epic.
    Scan.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 11-28-2023 at 05:27 PM.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Epic Bison Game at UND - 1972

I remember the game well. Bison seemingly had no chance but Erhardt figured out a great defense to take Mike Deutch (sp) out of the equation. Und seemed lost without him. It is the only undies home football I ever went to and it was fantastic. Payback for the rain-soaked upset they put on us in 1971.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My first UND moment was 1981 at Dacotah Field. UND was rated #1 at the time, I believe, and the Bison totally dominated them. The student section was packed with no way to sit, so we stood there tightly together. The rest of the 80's were wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    An old memory... I found this ticket today. My brother and I went to UND to see the Bison and I'm pretty sure that UND was ranked #1 at the time. The Bison were behind by a couple of scores pretty late in the game but somehow caught up. Near the end Donny Severson (QB from Casselton) walked into the end zone on a bootleg. No one was even close to him. Memorial Stadium went absolutely silent. Game over. Jerry Dahl... one of the greatest defensive players in Bison history... walked off the field at the end with his helmet off... blood running down his face... and a huge smile. It's one of my favorite Bison games. Epic.
    Scan.jpg
    I was their too at the 5 yard line on the side Donny scored. Well blocked and he as you said ran into the endzone.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    I was their too at the 5 yard line on the side Donny scored. Well blocked and he as you said ran into the endzone.
    We were right there also. Donny had a bad wheel or two and could barely run. It's one of my favorite moments in Bison history.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was living in GF then. I somewhat remember play
    that Mike Evanson scored a TD or 2 points on a center
    eligible play. Hard to remember with such an old mind.

I wasn't there. Hard to believe, I know.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    My first UND moment was 1981 at Dacotah Field. UND was rated #1 at the time, I believe, and the Bison totally dominated them. The student section was packed with no way to sit, so we stood there tightly together. The rest of the 80's were wonderful.
    I was there watching that game in 1981 as a student. Bison games were always a good time at Dacotah Field!

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    I was living in GF then. I somewhat remember play
    that Mike Evanson scored a TD or 2 points on a center
    eligible play. Hard to remember with such an old mind.
    I believe it was a bungled pat kick and Ever was eligible for the pass. It was right in front of us.