Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: If the playoffs started today

Default Re: If the playoffs started today

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    USD played 4 Valley teams that finished with a winning record in conference play, they went 3-1 against them. NDSU also played 4 Valley teams that finished with a winning record in conference play, we went 1-3 against them. USD also beat NDSU head to head. Yet Sagarin has NDSU #2 in the entire division and USD #8?

It makes no sense to me to listen to a computer that would make us the 2 seed and USD the 8 seed after the seasons each team has had.
    The whole difference is whether or not you think one big game matters, 4 games you assign special importance to matter, or the entire season matters.

Computers don’t care about rivalry games, hangover games, trap games, marquee games, de facto conference championship games, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Consistently playing like one of the best teams for starters. It would be more accurate to say we are one of the top 5 talented teams in the country instead of one of the 5 best.
    This is just more subjective clap trap. We did play like one of the best teams in the country. The objective evaluations say so.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

USD played 4 Valley teams that finished with a winning record in conference play, they went 3-1 against them. NDSU also played 4 Valley teams that finished with a winning record in conference play, we went 1-3 against them. USD also beat NDSU head to head. Yet Sagarin has NDSU #2 in the entire division and USD #8?

It makes no sense to me to listen to a computer that would make us the 2 seed and USD the 8 seed after the seasons each team has had.
    Ok, what about the other 2/3 of their schedules and all the teams that those teams played and that those teams played and on and on… you need a computer to objectively evaluate the entire system. No human or collection of humans are capable of doing it. We set the criteria the machine does the calculation.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Ok, what about the other 2/3 of their schedules and all the teams that those teams played and that those teams played and on and on… you need a computer to objectively evaluate the entire system. No human or collection of humans are capable of doing it. We set the criteria the machine does the calculation.
    It's unlikely you'll ever get a playoff system with seeds solely determined by a computer ranking.
    FBS has for years used a combination of human polls, computer rankings (BCS), and now a committee as well.

It would be difficult to get any human to agree that a team with a better W/L record and head-to-head win should be seeded lower, especially from the same conference.

There is a strong case that NDSU is easily a top 8 team though, and should have been awarded a seed.
    I think a 5 or 6 seed would have been fair. I thought the committee would slot us 7 or 8 though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    It's unlikely you'll ever get a playoff system with seeds solely determined by a computer ranking.
    FBS has for years used a combination of human polls, computer rankings (BCS), and now a committee as well.

It would be difficult to get any human to agree that a team with a better W/L record and head-to-head win should be seeded lower.

There is a strong case that NDSU is easily a top 8 team though, and should have been awarded a seed.
    I think a 5 or 6 seed would have been fair. I thought the committee would slot us 7 or 8 though.
    I agree with most of this. The committee we have today and their process are not close to adequate (in fact they’ve regressed by throwing out the SRS) and I’ve pointed to committees who do it better, in part, by being willing to use better information.

I would throw a swing pass to a running back out of the backfield. Our defense can’t stop it. USD figured it out. They deserved the seed. We need to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I agree with most of this. The committee we have today and their process are not close to adequate (in fact they’ve regressed by throwing out the SRS) and I’ve pointed to committees who do it better, in part, by being willing to use better information.
    We have beat one team this year that made the playoffs. Correct me if I am wrong. We have no business being a seeded team in the FCS. We lost to USD, UND and SDSU. Are we really a top 8 team in the FCS???

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Two weeks ago people here were screaming this team is terrible. The coaches should be fired. The Bison won't make the playoffs. Even then there the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in Sagarin. Now they suddenly are the second best team in FCS and the stupid committee screwed them by not giving them a seed. It's funny people don't recognize how silly these arguments look. I still have the same opinion I did then. This is a very good team that has a tendency to not play well at times. They may win the championship. They may lose big in Bozeman. Neither editor surprise. I'm going to enjoy the ride and cheer for the Bison.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    We have beat one team this year that made the playoffs. Correct me if I am wrong. We have no business being a seeded team in the FCS. We lost to USD, UND and SDSU. Are we really a top 8 team in the FCS???

That and a simple WR bubble screen that always goes for 15 because the first tackler always misses.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Two weeks ago people here were screaming this team is terrible. The coaches should be fired. The Bison won't make the playoffs. Even then there the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in Sagarin. Now they suddenly are the second best team in FCS and the stupid committee screwed them by not giving them a seed. It's funny people don't recognize how silly these arguments look. I still have the same opinion I did then. This is a very good team that has a tendency to not play well at times. They may win the championship. They may lose big in Bozeman. Neither editor surprise. I'm going to enjoy the ride and cheer for the Bison.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Our playoff success this year is based on defense and special teams. I disagree with many play calls on offense but that is not the issue this year.