Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 fcs playoffs

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2023 fcs playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    NDSU has met these teams five times in the playoffs:

SDSU: 4-1
    Montana State: 5-0
    JMU: 4-1
    Sam Houston: 4-1

There aren't any playoff matchups that have more than 5 games and all of the 5-game matchups have NDSU as one of the teams.

Four playoff meetings:

App State v Richmond: App State 3-1
    EWU v UNI: UNI 3-1
    McNeese v Montana: Tied 2-2
    Villanova v Youngstown: Tied 2-2

Georgia Southern played more postseason games than NDSU but never met the same team more than three times. It might have something to do with DI-AA seeding all 16 teams in the playoffs for most of the 1990s through 2001*. Playing the same teams over and over makes the playoffs a little less spicy than they could be, imo.

* The FCS let the terrorists win on the one.
    I think the high number of match-ups with SDSU, Montana State, JMU, and SHSU is due to each team having great teams the last 14 seasons, same as NDSU, and making deep runs. Ultimately meeting past the Quarters. NDSU beating them many times due to THE DYNASTY. It is fun ending the same team's seasons multiple times and watching their reactions. Especially when their fans talk a lot of smack and we then put them back in their place.

Plus regionalization doesn't help SDSU or MSU at all. SHSU win in the spring Covid-19 season doesn't count IMO. That entire "season" was a bit of a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    I think the high number of match-ups with SDSU, Montana State, JMU, and SHSU is due to each team having great teams the last 14 seasons, same as NDSU, and making deep runs. Ultimately meeting past the Quarters. NDSU beating them many times due to THE DYNASTY. It is fun ending the same team's seasons multiple times and watching their reactions. Especially when their fans talk a lot of smack and we then put them back in their place.

Plus regionalization doesn't help SDSU or MSU at all. SHSU win in the spring Covid-19 season doesn't count IMO. That entire "season" was a bit of a farce.
    I dug into that a little bit too. NDSU is also the only team to have the same second-round opponent three times (Montana State.)

Matchups that have happened more than once in the second round (which is usually NDSU's first game.)

JMU v Colgate: Tied 1-1
    EWU v Montana:
    NDSU v Montana: NDSU 2-0
    NDSU v San Diego: NDSU 2-0
    NDSU v SDSU: NDSU 2-0
    SDSU v UNI 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    One road team wins this weekend in the FCS playoffs....

say it again saturday broski!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I dug into that a little bit too. NDSU is also the only team to have the same second-round opponent three times (Montana State.)

Matchups that have happened more than once in the second round (which is usually NDSU's first game.)

JMU v Colgate: Tied 1-1
    EWU v Montana:
    NDSU v Montana: NDSU 2-0
    NDSU v San Diego: NDSU 2-0
    NDSU v SDSU: NDSU 2-0
    SDSU v UNI 1-1
    Not surprised that all but 1 of these are west on west. Geography is a bitch.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Not surprised that all but 1 of these are west on west. Geography is a bitch.
    Yep. Problem is better teams in the west, so we'll always have a tougher path for the regionalized games.

That said, bring it on. Would rather have a tough path with interesting games than sleepwalk our way to frisco.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Yep. Problem is better teams in the west, so we'll always have a tougher path for the regionalized games.

That said, bring it on. Would rather have a tough path with interesting games than sleepwalk our way to frisco.
    Fewer teams, better teams, and more space. It’s a trifecta under the regionalization and travel rules.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post

Well, you can tell that I'm spoiled because I'm a Bison fan, but it'd be nice to see different teams in the first two rounds.

In D2, NDSU faced 30 different opponents in 42 games (played UC Davis and Pittsburg State 4 times - 3 of the Pittsburg games were because of D2's stupid regionalization.)
    In FCS, NDSU has faced 26 different opponents in 50 games - USD will be the 27th)

Bonus: NDSU has faced Montana State, Towson, Jacksonville State, and now USD in both the D2 and FCS playoffs.

Double-bonus: There seems to be a theme out there about NDSU being a bad road team in the playoffs. That's crap. NDSU is an awesome road playoff team. In all four games, NDSU was an unseeded team playing a seeded team. And in both road losses, they were playing the eventual national champion and took them to OT or had a 4th quarter lead respectively.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well, you can tell that I'm spoiled because I'm a Bison fan, but it'd be nice to see different teams in the first two rounds.

In D2, NDSU faced 30 different opponents in 42 games (played UC Davis and Pittsburg State 4 times - 3 of the Pittsburg games were because of D2's stupid regionalization.)
    In FCS, NDSU has faced 26 different opponents in 50 games - USD will be the 27th)

Bonus: NDSU has faced Montana State, Towson, Jacksonville State, and now USD in both the D2 and FCS playoffs.

Double-bonus: There seems to be a theme out there about NDSU being a bad road team in the playoffs. That's crap. NDSU is an awesome road playoff team. In all four games, NDSU was an unseeded team playing a seeded team. And in both road losses, they were playing the eventual national champion and took them to OT or had a 4th quarter lead respectively.
    Must spread rep!

Furman already down 7-0 13 seconds into the game with Montana Opening kick taken to the house.

Furman ties it up 7-7.