Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would Gene Taylor & Joe Chapman Have Done?

Default Re: What would Gene Taylor & Joe Chapman Have Done?

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    Yes, it is officially time to panic. Apathy has indeed set in for everyone, from the top on down. Perhaps we missed our "window" to move up. All one can do now is get their crap together and change for the better. So many of you have come up with helpful suggestions, but The Top of the pyramid does NOTHING.
    . Long past time for Matt Larsen to go. Never liked him and he is a fake. He is responsible for the drop in expectations and performance of nearly every program except woman's basketball that had already hit rock bottom. Matt Larsen is a joke and a total loser. Get him the fuck out!

AlumniGreen is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    When's the last time the legislature gave any state school 2-3 hundred million for any project? This is a nice list, but it's a pipe dream, especially when we continue to lose enrollment with no end in sight....
    The whole enrollment dips are really making me lose sleep. And wait until the school year 2024 when Minnesota's free college tuition program for families making under $80K kicks in and now we heard a private school, Concordia, is offering free tuition for those families under $90,000 and this is offered to students in all 50 states. I read an article that they are focusing in particular on NDSU, UND, MSUM to get students to come to Concordia instead. This is flipping nuts. My alma mater can't catch a break. A bad year for NDSU, some of it self-inflicted, of course.

Enrollment is a huge issue. Without the students, it is hard to make a move to FBS. Also, we have no geographic fit with a FBS conference. It's not happening, but we ought to be putting a product on the field that is the best in the Dakotas. This season has been a joke and highlights the short comings of our AD and coaching staff.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    The whole enrollment dips are really making me lose sleep. And wait until the school year 2024 when Minnesota's free college tuition program for families making under $80K kicks in and now we heard a private school, Concordia, is offering free tuition for those families under $90,000 and this is offered to students in all 50 states. I read an article that they are focusing in particular on NDSU, UND, MSUM to get students to come to Concordia instead. This is flipping nuts. My alma mater can't catch a break. A bad year for NDSU, some of it self-inflicted, of course.
    Interesting what Concordia is doing. They want to get back up to at least 2k in attendance. Currently around 1,700. In essence what they are doing is becoming a property management/property owner company. Kid comes to Concordia they have to live on campus for two years. Pay room and board. This isn't part of the free program being offered. So Concordia is using free tuition to fill the dorms.

You have to wonder the quality of student and financial impacts going forward. They are able to do this as they have capacity and not having to add programs, instructors or buildings. Just a way to cover fixed costs through increased rents.

As for ND I don't know how big the impact is going to be with free Minnesota tuition. The good programs as SU, Ag, engineering and business are still going to attract talent. At 80k a year of income you are still getting plenty of aid to attend NDSU and the rest of the cost isn't as high as a Concordia or Minnesota system school.

If you lose the "right" students from lower rung programs it may not be a bad thing except for the perception of lower enrollment as those programs are way subsidized already.

AlumniGreen is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Interesting what Concordia is doing. They want to get back up to at least 2k in attendance. Currently around 1,700. In essence what they are doing is becoming a property management/property owner company. Kid comes to Concordia they have to live on campus for two years. Pay room and board. This isn't part of the free program being offered. So Concordia is using free tuition to fill the dorms.

You have to wonder the quality of student and financial impacts going forward. They are able to do this as they have capacity and not having to add programs, instructors or buildings. Just a way to cover fixed costs through increased rents.

As for ND I don't know how big the impact is going to be with free Minnesota tuition. The good programs as SU, Ag, engineering and business are still going to attract talent. At 80k a year of income you are still getting plenty of aid to attend NDSU and the rest of the cost isn't as high as a Concordia or Minnesota system school.

If you lose the "right" students from lower rung programs it may not be a bad thing except for the perception of lower enrollment as those programs are way subsidized already.
    Here is a quote from Ben Iverson of Concordia which touches on how Concordia can afford this: "As for affordability for the college, federal and state aid are contributing, as well as existing Concordia scholarships and payments from students for housing, food, fees and other costs.

“We’ve done the math and we are definitely banking on the fact that we think this will be attractive to more students,” Iverson said. He says having more students on campus is more sustainable: “As opposed to a smaller number of students who pay more.”

So what he says is akin to what you are saying - getting students to fill dorms. Should be "interesting" to see how NDSU's enrollment is responding to these 2 free tuition programs. The mid- and western North Dakota schools will not be impacted as much due to proximity and I doubt UND quite as much as NDSU. NDSU is absolutely stuck in this due to our stones'-throw from the Minnesota border. I recall earlier this summer when the Minnesota State Legislature approved the free-tuition program and there was a big headline in the Forum by President Cook - calling it "catastrophic" for NDSU. Of course, the drama-filled word made headlines.

I did talk to an NDSU person who said they were calling donors of North Dakota students-only scholarships, asking them to consider adding Minnesota students to their scholarship recipients (If they had not already).

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post

All of those "good" programs, except business, are down significantly in the last five years...

Meanwhile...

Undefeated James Madison appeals to NCAA Board of Directors chair to play in bowl game:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...5650f831&ei=33