Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Murray State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Murray State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    Maybe you are right, but for some reason I seem to remember it wasnt the number of runs vs passes but the types we were doing. Similar to the stubborness of running the QB three times straight up the middle. It was similar to Arizona in some ways, but I am old and thats the way I remember it .
    We only had 4 possessions in the 2nd half. 4 plays and punt, 6 plays and punt, 4 plays and punt, 8 plays and turnover on downs.

22 total plays (not counting punts), 80 yards and a big personal foul penalty on Mauch. And yet we still had the ball, down 2 with 3:49 left. Unfortunately, our vaunted 2 minute offense didn't come through.

Such a polar opposite of the first half, and the feeling we played not to lose.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    We only had 4 possessions in the 2nd half. 4 plays and punt, 6 plays and punt, 4 plays and punt, 8 plays and turnover on downs.

22 total plays (not counting punts), 80 yards and a big personal foul penalty on Mauch. And yet we still had the ball, down 2 with 3:49 left. Unfortunately, our vaunted 2 minute offense didn't come through.

Such a polar opposite of the first half, and the feeling we played not to lose.
    This is how I feel about offensive scheme and play calling in any game we aren't favored by 24+

Every time somebody brings up playcalling, especially when describing a game where the other team's offense scored on every possession in a half before the lock ran out, I feel like Jules in Pulp Fiction when that kid says "What?"

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Every time somebody brings up playcalling, especially when describing a game where the other team's offense scored on every possession in a half before the lock ran out, I feel like Jules in Pulp Fiction when that kid says "What?"

When we had good teams early in the run our offense helped our defense out by controlling the clock. It was kind of a chicken and egg thing. But now we are struggling to control the clock in big games. Part of that is our RB run game which is poor, partially as a result of these extremely slow developing RO plays. One way to prevent an offense from scoring is by keeping the ball. And our defense has stunk in some games.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    When we had good teams early in the run our offense helped our defense out by controlling the clock. It was kind of a chicken and egg thing. But now we are struggling to control the clock in big games. Part of that is our RB run game which is poor, partially as a result of these extremely slow developing RO plays. One way to prevent an offense from scoring is by keeping the ball. And our defense has stunk in some games.
    NDSU is dominating in TOP though - and I think the offense is functioning at a very high level aside from a rather big hole: the RB run game. And that TOP stat would be even better if we could hand the ball off to a RB and convert a 3rd and 1 - but we can't, and that's why we have to have the QBs run, and that's why everybody knows it's coming.

Not many QBs in NDSU history have had seasons as good as our two-headed monster have had. The problem is that the rights defense can make a great QB look terrible - everybody seems to forget that Steve Walker, Brock Jensen, Carson Wentz, Easton Stick, and Trey Lance had bad games. That's why it's nice to have a defense that stops the other team from scoring more than 3 TDs so critical.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    NDSU is dominating in TOP though - and I think the offense is functioning at a very high level aside from a rather big hole: the RB run game. And that TOP stat would be even better if we could hand the ball off to a RB and convert a 3rd and 1 - but we can't, and that's why we have to have the QBs run, and that's why everybody knows it's coming.

Not many QBs in NDSU history have had seasons as good as our two-headed monster have had. The problem is that the rights defense can make a great QB look terrible - everybody seems to forget that Steve Walker, Brock Jensen, Carson Wentz, Easton Stick, and Trey Lance had bad games. That's why it's nice to have a defense that stops the other team from scoring more than 3 TDs so critical.
    I would dispute that the defacto answer to “Can’t run the RBs” is “Run the QBs instead.” But you’re right, clearly Tyler thinks that also, and that’s a huge problem.

Nice to see we finally agree on this though.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery