Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players who flash against inferior competition

Default Players who flash against inferior competition

I have a question that has been noodling my noodle since yesterday. What do we make of players who flash against inferior competition, but are not impacting games against good to great competition. This is not intended as criticism, but just something I'm wondering about. Example, Logan Kopp has looked all world in some of these games against poor talent, and certainly RaJa Nelson showed out yesterday. These are just a couple examples, but there are others.

I guess I want to see some of these guys show out against quality teams as well.

Default Re: Players who flash against inferior competition

They held them to 50 yards at half time so it's tough to say.
    To my untrained eye, Dylan Hendricks was dominating his guy and making plays but it was hard to tell since the competition was mediocre. On 1 play, 3 lineman met at the QB. They played well as a unit

I liked some of the young d-lineman. Logan Larson looked like a playmaker at times. DE Gannon Williams looked good late in the game. Toby Anene was always around the ball and looks the part. McKaslin was in on a play

There were some blown assignments late but that happens with mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I have a question that has been noodling my noodle since yesterday. What do we make of players who flash against inferior competition, but are not impacting games against good to great competition. This is not intended as criticism, but just something I'm wondering about. Example, Logan Kopp has looked all world in some of these games against poor talent, and certainly RaJa Nelson showed out yesterday. These are just a couple examples, but there are others.

I guess I want to see some of these guys show out against quality teams as well.
    I have had the same thoughts about Kopp; however, what I think we saw yesterday is that he played very fast, almost like they took the training wheels off him and he responded with Tour de France sprint win. In general, I thought everyone played a lot faster and a lot stronger/tougher than in any other game this season. Hendricks played his best game, Duttenhefer played tough, Anene is a beast and should be in there more. The second team O-line looks massive. Devon Lockerby absolutely owned anyone he blocked when he was in there. Watson the RB from IL showed some real promise. Ryan Jones is always around the ball but he can't make a tackle so it doesn't really matter how fast he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Puetz View Post
    I have had the same thoughts about Kopp; however, what I think we saw yesterday is that he played very fast, almost like they took the training wheels off him and he responded with Tour de France sprint win. In general, I thought everyone played a lot faster and a lot stronger/tougher than in any other game this season. Hendricks played his best game, Duttenhefer played tough, Anene is a beast and should be in there more. The second team O-line looks massive. Devon Lockerby absolutely owned anyone he blocked when he was in there. Watson the RB from IL showed some real promise. Ryan Jones is always around the ball but he can't make a tackle so it doesn't really matter how fast he plays.
    Lockerby absolutely looked grest and physically he is ready

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Logan Kopp had a quote in an article in the Saturday column about playing tentative at times and that he needed to just get after it. Hopefully he just lets it fly and plays with instinct. I think he can be a really good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Puetz View Post
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

El Chapo does?
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    El Chapo does?
    100% Hall of Fame worthy!!!
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Well WIU was a torrid team that showed no will so take that whole game with a grain of salt. But in my experience:

-Increased confidence allows you to process faster and “just play”
    -Opponent’s fundamentals. An overmatched opponent can still beat you if they are fundamentally sound and disciplined. Talent doesn’t always win, but it usually does if both sides are undisciplined and always does if the more talented side is.
    -Game speed. WIU’s game speed was slow, making it easier to react and make the right play. Football is a game of inches. Difference between a TD and TFL sometimes is a DL/LB getting home on-time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

Not intended to be criticism huh?

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Not intended to be criticism huh?
    No, not really and I'm being honest about that. I'm just trying to figure out are these guys the elite players or not. Not everyone is elite, and nothing wrong with being good. I go back and forth on Kopp, in particular.