Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of QB Run: Good or Bad for our offense?

Default Re: Lots of QB Run: Good or Bad for our offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    For whatever reason, good or bad....TR isn't going to share much against bad teams. He just pounds them to death. I think we are averaging 40ppg or something, so on paper that is hard to argue. We aren't a team that makes ESPN with flea flickers against non scholarship team in the 2nd half iwth huge leads. not us. We don't throw bombs up huge late in the 2nd quarter with our backup QB in. Just not us. We seem to save up and always be ready when it matters. We have always run more at QB when we have a good backup, and we have a great backup. We essentially have 2 starters. I embrace it as anything could happen. It has made both better. I think Payton will end up dominating. I have seen alot in person. I am extremely comfortable with him throwing the ball. I would like to see them allow him to do it in normal game situations. Designed pass plays. It will be fun to see play out. I would like to see the OL dominate more than I have seen so far. Still early, but they have played alot of football. I want to see us get that hard yard. Enjoy.
    A lot of wisdom here. The only thing unsatisfying to me thus far is the lack of OL dominance as you point out. I think the Valley schedule it going to be fun to watch.

Also, assuming that UCA has a staff member dedicated to reading and analyzing BV threads it will be fun to see how their QB spy performs this Saturday.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Burgundy I agree with some of what u r saying, but we are runnning it way more just not a little more and roehl didn’t add wrinkles in big games in prior year in fact he usually went to it more. I don’t mind running the qb once in a while like we used to as it keeps the defense honest and can be explosive but overall this amount is quite bad for a team game. Eventually why would Good RBs want to come here if they get four carries a game? In my opinion it just is not creative at all and why not work on some weaknesses during these games and make defenses go huh we need to be ready for different stuff.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

For whatever reason, good or bad....TR isn't going to share much against bad teams. He just pounds them to death. I think we are averaging 40ppg or something, so on paper that is hard to argue. We aren't a team that makes ESPN with flea flickers against non scholarship team in the 2nd half iwth huge leads. not us. We don't throw bombs up huge late in the 2nd quarter with our backup QB in. Just not us. We seem to save up and always be ready when it matters. We have always run more at QB when we have a good backup, and we have a great backup. We essentially have 2 starters. I embrace it as anything could happen. It has made both better. I think Payton will end up dominating. I have seen alot in person. I am extremely comfortable with him throwing the ball. I would like to see them allow him to do it in normal game situations. Designed pass plays. It will be fun to see play out. I would like to see the OL dominate more than I have seen so far. Still early, but they have played alot of football. I want to see us get that hard yard. Enjoy.
    Why pound it with the QB's though? 2 QB's can get hurt just as easily as 1. Waiting to execute plays you need to against better teams doesn't always end well if you haven't tried them in a game before, practice doesn't always make perfect. Agree with the oline comment, I think all the read option stuff limits their ability to get off the ball like they would in a straight up run play. We need to get back to under center running plays and less shotgun R/O and let the Rams work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Why pound it with the QB's though? 2 QB's can get hurt just as easily as 1. Waiting to execute plays you need to against better teams doesn't always end well if you haven't tried them in a game before, practice doesn't always make perfect. Agree with the oline comment, I think all the read option stuff limits their ability to get off the ball like they would in a straight up run play. We need to get back to under center running plays and less shotgun R/O and let the Rams work!
    Agree generally that more under center vs shotgun and more play action would effectively solve this problem… in the Maine game for example, we went under center on 16 of the 76 plays (21%)… and 6 of those were the last 3 plays of the game where our third stringer handed it off up the middle and the other 3 from the 1 yard line in the 2nd quarter where we turned it over on downs. You take those away and our under center breakdown was 10 out of 70 (14%)…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Did we have a great backup behind Trey in 2019? Cam as a true sophomore was the backup behind Quincy in 2021 so I'm not sure I would classify that as having a great backup. I think it points more to a lack of offensive creativity.

The results so far this season are hard to argue but the results over the past 4 seasons of Entz and Roehl are a bit more of a mixed bag relative to the track record of the program. I'm not in any way advocating for either to lose their jobs based on what they have done to date. I'm not sure many would take that hard of a line. That being said, the teams under Entz and Roehl don't seem to be capable of punching up a weight class so to speak. They have lost to SDSU 4 times out of 5 games. They lost their one FBS game in their tenure against an average Arizona squad. They have lost 3 games in a season twice in 4 seasons. From 2011-2018 that did not occur once. I know that the success we had previous to Entz taking over is very difficult to sustain no matter who the coach is. That being said, we're far enough in now to understand that Entz isn't at the same level as the previous two Head Coaches and that has directly correlated with the team not being at the same level as the teams under the previous Head Coaches. I believe he has earned the right to try to make adjustments but I also don't think that he should be allowed to lose to SDSU 4 out of the next 5 tries and lose more winnable FBS games. You think there is fan apathy now, it would be off the charts if we consistently repeat the 2022 season. Might not be fair but it's the price you pay for being the head coach to follow Bohl/Klieman and the success they brought.

I don’t mind the QB run game. But when we use it’s mind boggling. Like inside the 5 three straight QB runs from Cam that can’t happen. Also the look over to the sideline for play calls while set is bugging me.

Would love to see a breakdown of qb runs that were designed runs vs the ones that were passing plays where the qb scrambled. Payton’s long td run Saturday was a pass play turned into a run.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Cole is the most explosive player on offense right now. He is trying to get him touches now so he is ready for bigger games to come possibly.....

Plus our running back stable might be pretty thin after Williams....we did lose quite a few players from the position.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Would love to see a breakdown of qb runs that were designed runs vs the ones that were passing plays where the qb scrambled. Payton’s long td run Saturday was a pass play turned into a run.
    Heffy broke this down for the Maine game in the Maine post game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Done in the Maine thread.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery