Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Default Re: Maine Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    heff, first of all thanks for the posting parameters. I'll try to keep my sorry ass in line. Second, if I'm totally honest about it my impression of the QB run game seems parallel to yours, @steelbison's and others. But curiosity got the better of me so I went shopping for evidence. What I found in an admittedly brief search seemed contrarian on its face. You however appeared to be quite emphatic. So I threw the data I found at you and asked for your analysis/explanation. Still eager to read it btw.

Unlike others I do not feel qualified to second guess paid coaches but I recognize that it is everyone's right to do so. Not criticizing anyone for doing so and I'm not arguing with anyone about the relative success or failure of the staff and particularly the play calling. I have never played Madden anything and it has been a looooooooooooong time since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. But if you or anyone take a strong stance I will feel free to ask questions. Fair enough?

If I disagree with you trust me you will not be wondering what I meant. I will say I disagree with respect and with my reasoning*.

* Yeah right. If its after 9:00 pm and the scotch bottle is open all bets are off.
    Cool. I’m willing to move on. Enjoy the scotch. I hope it’s a Macallan 12 or 15.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Ok put the shovel down.

I’m convinced greenfield is Chapo posting when he’s taken his adderall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://youtu.be/qfTg0SQVvwE?si=bjv_Uj5C0wkol-dL
    Don't believe everything you think.

Now I know it. Lol.

So I was telling my wife about this convo and she said well you know this quote:

Don’t blame a clown for being a clown. Ask yourself why you keep going back to the circus.

I think a great example of this conversation is the 61 yard TD run by CP. It's 2nd & 12 and clearly a pass is called. Cole evades pressure and makes an excellent run for the touchdown. That's a playmaker improvising to make a play. How much credit should the playcaller get for that? Play at 10:50 of link.

https://youtu.be/wh6Oq5EtO7I?si=imDO_oRg_IpEABNA

It's probably my lying eyes but I saw marginal success on designed QB runs and great success with improvised QB scrambles.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Chief View Post
    I think a great example of this conversation is the 61 yard TD run by CP. It's 2nd & 12 and clearly a pass is called. Cole evades pressure and makes an excellent run for the touchdown. That's a playmaker improvising to make a play. How much credit should the playcaller get for that? Play at 10:50 of link.

It's probably my lying eyes but I saw marginal success on designed QB runs and great success with improvised QB scrambles.

Watch out, data never lies!!!

It’s just so very frustrating to have to pull your punches.

Not a fair fight though so I’ll keep pulling.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Chief View Post

I agree with this but there’s also great play calls that fail because of poor execution. But yet the play caller also gets blamed for those.

It’s just so very frustrating to have to pull your punches.

Not a fair fight though so I’ll keep pulling.
    Lol doh k.

Anyway. Roehl’s play calling is still very questionable. The oline isn’t getting the push they have in years past which as a coach you should know since you see them in practice everyday and adjust. But he’s proven year after year he doesn’t adjust he just beats his head against the only playbook he knows.

After the first two games it sure looks to me like we could have ourselves a championship level D. That will win us most games. If the play calling doesn’t change we will lose one or two games because the D can’t keep every team out of the end zone every game.

My prediction is we lose 2 still get a top 4 seed and fall just short of a championship. It actually kind of sucks when win it all is pretty much the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    I agree with this but there’s also great play calls that fail because of poor execution. But yet the play caller also gets blamed for those.
    True; Indy made a good post about this in the fire vigen thread. The playcalling seems predictable though and that is on the play caller. He might even get credit for that if it were working better, but I'm not sure it is. It doesn't feel like it.

This is my preference but I'd rather see 3-4 yard grind carries by the RBs, not the QBs. I dunno, something about the designed QB runs seem unsustainable, no evidence will be given to support that view.