Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    No media push is needed. Actually it could hurt the chances because sentiment is low. A targeted media push is what's needed.

Low turnout. Lets say we only get 8k turnout. That means we only need 4,800k yes. Those yes votes are likely NDSU fans. Media like Dom Izzo, Kolpack, Bison Media Zone, Bison Report, Ross Uglem, Teammakers, Bisonation Twitter, Bison 1660, McFeely, 740 The Fan (Jay Bartleys show) are the people we want. What about Swannys radio show? Why is the NDSU foundation not blasting on social media? If people are willing to donate thousands, they will pay an extra quarter on $100. How about a postcard to every alumni with a Fargo zip code? Or an email?

If NDSU could get NDSU to say on social media "Today is election day" without telling people to vote yes or no, it would be huge. If they could buy a banner on the Fargodomes website it would be huge.

Why do we have a billboard on south university when it should be by the dome?

We dont want to go on conservative talk radio shows like 970, AM1100, or even liberal stations like KFGO and stir up likely no votes. It's too late to change minds

Saturdays game should have radio ads every break. Pregame and post game. Buy ads on Bison 1660
    You have good questions and suggestions but I hope the proper people and groups are hearing about these ideas. Has anyone contacted the Foundation/Alumni Association for example. It is not too late to email a quick reminder to Fargoans. Say Friday for example. That is the only group I have familiarity with. The rest, others have to request reminders to vote.

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

I plug this every Saturday morning at 8AM on my show on 740AM. I honestly cannot imagine NOT wanting this. Stop even thinking about NDSU. We use it like 8 days a year. Our community needs this! Lets be progressive and energetic. Think about our future!

If every single teammaker (husband and wife) voted. Then added their children. I don't think we could lose. I am sure my numbers aren't perfect on that. Throw in Bison fans. Fargo residents. Etc. Concert people would actually get some real concerts. This is a no brainer. Get out and vote! Tell your of age kids they will get to keep their cell phone if they vote. Encourage your employees. Do your job.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

No media push is needed. Actually it could hurt the chances because sentiment is low. A targeted media push is what's needed.

Low turnout. Lets say we only get 8k turnout. That means we only need 4,800k yes. Those yes votes are likely NDSU fans. Media like Dom Izzo, Kolpack, Bison Media Zone, Bison Report, Ross Uglem, Teammakers, Bisonation Twitter, Bison 1660, McFeely, 740 The Fan (Jay Bartleys show) are the people we want. What about Swannys radio show? Why is the NDSU foundation not blasting on social media? If people are willing to donate thousands, they will pay an extra quarter on $100. How about a postcard to every alumni with a Fargo zip code? Or an email?

If NDSU could get NDSU to say on social media "Today is election day" without telling people to vote yes or no, it would be huge. If they could buy a banner on the Fargodomes website it would be huge.

Why do we have a billboard on south university when it should be by the dome?

We dont want to go on conservative talk radio shows like 970, AM1100, or even liberal stations like KFGO and stir up likely no votes. It's too late to change minds

Saturdays game should have radio ads every break. Pregame and post game. Buy ads on Bison 1660
    ** I have spent too much time as a civilian on this topic. But ONE LAST COMMENT.

You have good ideas for targeted media push and even though I do not know your job, you seem to have inside information and influence.
    1 Are your good ideas such as the NDSU- AND BISON-FRIENDLY radio and Instagram/Twitter X spots being contacted with your ideas to remind people of December 5th vote?
    2. How about Alumni Association/Foundation? A quick call to John Glover would get things rolling. Is there confusion that some of these organizations are supposed to remain neutral and are interpreting this (perhaps incorrectly) as not being able to send out a friendly voting reminder???
    3. Does the Committee to get this vote passed have a strategic plan to have DOME-friendly partners to help out with electronic voting day reminders???
    4. If a massive targeted blitz to get out the vote does not happen and the vote FAILS, it will be pretty damn sad that not all available resources were utilized effectively!
    5. Are there concerns that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing?

I hope I am not offending you with my bossiness. But I do care about this vote, and Bisonville is a good place to get this hashed out....

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Obviously alot of work has gone into this.
    Is there a $ amount tally of already invested that would essentially be wasted if this fails?

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't see why this needs a vote when the giant sports facility that's just as expensive didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I don't see why this needs a vote when the giant sports facility that's just as expensive didn't.
    The park district funded it with their budget and managed to not raise the mills. The city could fund it without a sales tax if they got 3 votes but that would never happen because they dont have enough revenue. But if it fails, the general fund will have to fund ADA requirements or else the entire surplus fund will be gone and we will reduce capacity without the west addition

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The park district funded it with their budget and managed to not raise the mills. The city could fund it without a sales tax if they got 3 votes but that would never happen because they dont have enough revenue. But if it fails, the general fund will have to fund ADA requirements or else the entire surplus fund will be gone and we will reduce capacity without the west addition
    This facility in south Fargo is a prime example why the Fargodome doesn't have widespread support. This project was "sold" as a private/public partnership in which a large portion would be financed with Private donations. To date the park district has not reached it goal. But secondly during construction the park district has gone ahead and expanded the project with phase two. What is the funding for this? At what time does the city, schools or park district need to raise their mils even more to cover the cost.

Again "sold" as a destination site in which teams will come to Fargo for weekend tournaments. As an AAU parent for the past 10 years I can state that the teams coming to Fargo are already coming. This facility isn't going to attract good AAU programs from the upper midwest because they can play closer to home in the cities, Sioux Falls and Omaha. Because that is where the better competition is. Would have my kids stayed closer to Fargo for AAU tournaments? No, they would still have there one or two in town and play 5-6 in the cities, sioux falls, omaha and in my daughter's case Chicago.

Thus in my opinion, the park district facility will not attract people like they claim and they don't have the funding in place. Same can be said for Fargodome expansion. The cost will be substantially higher the $140 million. And whose going to use? Charlie Johnson from the CVB said we have lost out on 200 plus conventions in the last 7 years. How many would have actually come to town? 10%, even 20% that is 6 conventions a year. Just because they inquired to come to Fargo doesn't mean they will come. Scheduling conflicts may not have the facility available, groups and organizations may not want to come to Fargo due to locations. So the idea that it going to generate a large influx of activity in my opinion is a misnomer.

But time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    This facility in south Fargo is a prime example why the Fargodome doesn't have widespread support. This project was "sold" as a private/public partnership in which a large portion would be financed with Private donations. To date the park district has not reached it goal. But secondly during construction the park district has gone ahead and expanded the project with phase two. What is the funding for this? At what time does the city, schools or park district need to raise their mils even more to cover the cost.

Again "sold" as a destination site in which teams will come to Fargo for weekend tournaments. As an AAU parent for the past 10 years I can state that the teams coming to Fargo are already coming. This facility isn't going to attract good AAU programs from the upper midwest because they can play closer to home in the cities, Sioux Falls and Omaha. Because that is where the better competition is. Would have my kids stayed closer to Fargo for AAU tournaments? No, they would still have there one or two in town and play 5-6 in the cities, sioux falls, omaha and in my daughter's case Chicago.

Thus in my opinion, the park district facility will not attract people like they claim and they don't have the funding in place. Same can be said for Fargodome expansion. The cost will be substantially higher the $140 million. And whose going to use? Charlie Johnson from the CVB said we have lost out on 200 plus conventions in the last 7 years. How many would have actually come to town? 10%, even 20% that is 6 conventions a year. Just because they inquired to come to Fargo doesn't mean they will come. Scheduling conflicts may not have the facility available, groups and organizations may not want to come to Fargo due to locations. So the idea that it going to generate a large influx of activity in my opinion is a misnomer.

But time will tell.
    The City, Park District, and School Board have nothing to do with each other. Separate funding and revenue sources for each. The Park District can lower, keep the same, or raise mills to fund projects. They kept them the same

Fundraising isnt done overnight and never ends. They are approaching 50% of phase 1 and will continue for years.

I've never heard anyone complain about the project. It's going to be awesome to have indoor facility in the winter
    Last edited by HerdBot; 12-01-2023 at 03:25 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

The City, Park District, and School Board have nothing to do with each other. Separate funding and revenue sources for each. The Park District can lower, keep the same, or raise mills to fund projects. They kept them the same

Fundraising isnt done overnight and never ends. They are approaching 50% of phase 1 and will continue for years.

I've never heard anyone complain about the project. It's going to be awesome to have indoor facility in the winter
    One thing that I have learned and continue to learn is how complex local government is, whether it be city, county, projects from the park board and so forth. Most citizens either do not have time or do not understand the complexity of everything. And unfortunately, by not knowing the big picture and the huge amount of detail that city commissioners, park board members and so forth have, we might quickly form negative opinions and vote accordingly. I wish there was a Cliff's notes or "handbook for dummies" on how local and even state government works. I follow it as closely as I can but still learn something new every day. I think for the most part and with some exceptions Fargo government is very well run. I know one park board member well and certainly a few on the city commission (not bragging, just saying), and I think we are in good hands. Fargo just has enormous challenges with a growing city and the demands of us citizens.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am aware of park and school district being separate, but the fundraising is behind schedule as the "large gift" has not come through. As for the school district. City of Fargo, School district have had a history of helping each other out. Scheels Arena comes to mind and the school district came on board to prop up.

Realistically how many times are you and your family going to use the new park district facility? West Fargo at the Rustad Center is open to all that want to use it. Volleyball, Pickleball, Basketball, indoor turf. That place never seems overhelmed. You want to swim West Fargo has a swimming site.

Does it help with ice? Sure during the peak times, so kids might not have to have 530 am or 10pm practices. But ice exists.

So nothing new is being added to the FM community that doesn't already exist. And as always there will be a cost.

F