Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    So the benefit is NDSU and this is why the average person will vote no. Don’t bring misleading info into the argument. This has nothing to do with NIL and doesn’t fund NIL yet you are using that in the argument on why it’s needed
    Part of the benefit is for NDSU. I would guess that most of the benefit goes to the hospitality industry when the Fargodome can attract larger conventions. Some concerts may draw more attendees when there is more room to buy concessions and use the restrooms for an overall better experience.
    It's OK to not be OK.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I will be voting no
    It’s not about how much per hundred dollars
    I just disagree with the public funding this if a convention center was such a great idea wouldn’t there be private sponsorship waiting in the wings
    If private investment was the benchmark for "great ideas" there would be lots of things in our world that would not exist that we all rely on quite heavily. I'm all for capitalism but it has it's limitations and the taxpayers often times fill in the gaps to create infrastructure and systems that encourage private investment.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    If private investment was the benchmark for "great ideas" there would be lots of things in our world that would not exist that we all rely on quite heavily. I'm all for capitalism but it has its limitations and the taxpayers often times fill in the gaps to create infrastructure and systems that encourage private investment.
    Too right. Vast swaths of the land in this area would likely never see a fiber optic cable other than as a photo in a print newspaper article.
    Don't believe everything you think.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I cannot really read that article today very well in the Forum due to not having a subscription but it quoted Tony Gehrig who is so damn afraid of having to spend any money to make Fargo a better place. Doug Restemayer wisely points out in the same article that the increased cost will be 25 cents per every $100 of purchases. Can people handle an extra quarter per $100? Penny wise and pound foolish. Bunch of tightwads and cheap ass people. If this vote does not pass, do not come back and bitch about not getting Monster Truck Showdown events in the future. All that the FARGODOME has done to elevate this city's stature and the vote-no crowd leaves it high and dry.
    There is NO WAY we should be losing the arms race in Monster Trucks! THIS.HAS.GOT.TO.STOP. A YES for ME and a YES for Monster Trucks!!!!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

They're going to pay for it with a hotel tax so why the hell wouldn't you vote for it as a local. I've eaten so much popcorn this morning eh.

Lardsin must go!

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I am not a raise taxes kind of person, but do the math. Third of the cost paid by the dome, third of the cost paid by hotel taxes, and the final third by the 1/4 cent sales tax.
    But then the sales tax replenishes the Dome reserve......so is the Fargodome really paying for anything or are they just spotting a portion of it upfront and getting paid back over time?

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I will be voting no
    It’s not about how much per hundred dollars
    I just disagree with the public funding this if a convention center was such a great idea wouldn’t there be private sponsorship waiting in the wings
    If educating kids was such a great idea why don't we have private sponsorships lined up for every public school in Fargo????? Government supporting and paying for k-12 education is a waste of money!!!! It brings no value to the city!!!!.

Do you really not understand how some investments aren't made for the direct return on themselves but for the greater impact they will have on things around them?

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    They're going to pay for it with a hotel tax so why the hell wouldn't you vote for it as a local. I've eaten so much popcorn this morning eh.
    It's becoming a principal thing in Fargo. Taxes on everything have gone up considerably. Property taxes up 3-4-% in last two years. Utility tax, hook up fees. It is getting to be enough is enough. Additionally the location is terrible. If you put it near West Acres, then there is a benefit for more of the community.

And as you look at the deal, the Fargodome is putting nothing into it. They get their reserve paid back.

I think this is dead in the water.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    It's becoming a principal thing in Fargo. Taxes on everything have gone up considerably. Property taxes up 3-4-% in last two years. Utility tax, hook up fees. It is getting to be enough is enough. Additionally the location is terrible. If you put it near West Acres, then there is a benefit for more of the community.

And as you look at the deal, the Fargodome is putting nothing into it. They get their reserve paid back.

That will be the next excuse….conventions won’t come here because there is no hotel connected to it

Again, I’d love to see the list of conventions that went somewhere else, where they went and the date they were held. Could change my vote when I see what we missed vs the blanket statement that we are missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post

Huh? Location? 13th Ave N and 19th ave N are like 60 seconds apart*.

* with a flat tire and driving 25 mph on the shoulder
    Don't believe everything you think.