Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Rob is awesome but I havent heard him on the radio talking about the expansion
    I hope he will get on the airways. What I was referring to was a video in the Reimagined website where his message was clear and concise. I continue to see comments such as "why do we need a convention center when there are all these other event centers and so forth at hotels?" Even when the FARGODOME people EXPLAIN why, they still ask the same questions about a new convention center being unnecessary. I need to let go of this as it is driving me nuts, but you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. Most naysayers have made up their minds, they can't be changed because they don't want to be.

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I hope he will get on the airways. What I was referring to was a video in the Reimagined website where his message was clear and concise. I continue to see comments such as "why do we need a convention center when there are all these other event centers and so forth at hotels?" Even when the FARGODOME people EXPLAIN why, they still ask the same questions about a new convention center being unnecessary. I need to let go of this as it is driving me nuts, but you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. Most naysayers have made up their minds, they can't be changed because they don't want to be.
    Agree. It's all about getting the right people to vote. Hopefully on election day, NDSU Athletics uses their media muscle to inform people there is an election to expand the Fargodome. That's not taking a political stance. By the looks of the tiny crowd of 7,800... a dome rennovation wont hurt

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Coffee Group discussion on the vote yesterday. 8 in group. Doctor, lawyer, couple of accountants, insurance and seed sales and real estate person. Five against the vote, 2 for, 1 undecided. The two in favor were Teammakers. 2 others are pretty serious bison football fans/supporters. They were against.

I would venture 7 of the 8 actually vote. Over riding reasons for no votes. The opportunity to vote on a spending bill as most bills no say to the public. And location. Convention center needs to be in West Acres, Scheels Arena area.

This is the feel I hear. Strong Teammakers support, moderate NDSU support, overall support against. Also 60% yes vote needed. That makes it that much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    99% of guys who piss and don't wash say the same thing. I have data to prove it. The only people who do wash, do it because they don't want to offend someone who sees

If I grabbed behind the nuts I certainly would, but I don't do that
    Yes! There is plenty of data out there that show high colony counts of E. coli and the lot on waist bands, zippers, and belt buckles. Think about it. If you do “grab behind” do you wash your hands before you pull up your pants? All of those bacteria are still there the next time you unzip. People! WASH YOUR HANDS! Don’t make me start another thread about it….because I will……

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Coffee Group discussion on the vote yesterday. 8 in group. Doctor, lawyer, couple of accountants, insurance and seed sales and real estate person. Five against the vote, 2 for, 1 undecided. The two in favor were Teammakers. 2 others are pretty serious bison football fans/supporters. They were against.

I would venture 7 of the 8 actually vote. Over riding reasons for no votes. The opportunity to vote on a spending bill as most bills no say to the public. And location. Convention center needs to be in West Acres, Scheels Arena area.

This is the feel I hear. Strong Teammakers support, moderate NDSU support, overall support against. Also 60% yes vote needed. That makes it that much more difficult.
    I know a 60% yes is a tough hill to climb. One of the TV stations says 70% against, 30 for. That is pretty damning for us Yes people but still turnout will determine it more than anything. Unlike West Fargo's recent vote, no one in Fargo can say they were not told about this upcoming vote. City of Fargo even put a reminder in our water bills. I am not real positive about a YES vote anymore but hope springs eternal.

I wonder if the FARGODOME committee has a Plan B on all of this if it fails. They HAVE to get the existing DOME amenities updated. No ands, ifs or buts.

I know a 60% yes is a tough hill to climb. One of the TV stations says 70% against, 30 for. That is pretty damning for us Yes people but still turnout will determine it more than anything. Unlike West Fargo's recent vote, no one in Fargo can say they were not told about this upcoming vote. City of Fargo even put a reminder in our water bills. I am not real positive about a YES vote anymore but hope springs eternal.

I wonder if the FARGODOME committee has a Plan B on all of this if it fails. They HAVE to get the existing DOME amenities updated. No ands, ifs or buts.
    Group discussed Rich Becker's plan to eliminate real estate taxes. Didn't like that either. Don't think the money exists at the state level unless you tap into the legacy fund principal and feel the city would just come up with new fees tied to real estate as it would be an untaxed opportunity to create new fees.

Off all the upgrades this vote has discussed for the existing Fargodome, how much could be done with the reserve fund? You would think bathrooms, wi fi, and west side changes could be done at the very least.

Group discussed Rich Becker's plan to eliminate real estate taxes. Didn't like that either. Don't think the money exists at the state level unless you tap into the legacy fund principal and feel the city would just come up with new fees tied to real estate as it would be an untaxed opportunity to create new fees.

Off all the upgrades this vote has discussed for the existing Fargodome, how much could be done with the reserve fund? You would think bathrooms, wi fi, and west side changes could be done at the very least.

Are the anti property tax zealots at it again? Haven’t we said no to their terrible ideas enough. Take a hint already.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post

Plan B may very well include some of the more basic and much-needed upgrades and see if they can tap into more reserve. My opinion is that the FARGODOME staff/DOME Authority have been excellent stewards of money. We can play Monday morning quarterback all we want, but maybe if the vote fails, just look at the most critical existing FARGODOME deficiencies to fix and renovate. In some ways, this is not a great time to look at a tax increase (as modest as it is at 0.25%) but really when is a good time??? Focus on bathrooms, accessible seating/companion seating, any code issues, WiFi, west side changes, and adequate space for different and more food vendors so we can get a variety and less waiting in line. In short, the fan experience Maybe do some of this incrementally. Still like the idea of an attached convention center and the excitement and synergy it would create. Losing up to 60 larger-scale conventions to other towns recently HAS to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Are the anti property tax zealots at it again? Haven’t we said no to their terrible ideas enough. Take a hint already.
    Rich Becker has rolled out his plan from 6-8 years ago. State pays all property taxes. Big chunk from Legacy funds. $150-200 million in "savings". State has control.

He was in Fargo presenting and trying to raise $1 million for the campaign to get real estate taxes overturned in its current form. Not doing well in raising campaign funds from my understanding.

City is sitting back looking at untaxed or "unfee'd" properties that they could assess a myriad of fees too. So end of the day, bad plan with state in control and city of Fargo looking at an opportunity for new revenue sources.