Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    If that happens I hope for your sake you're not a grandma or Lakes will join you.
    As it turns out, a few have told me I am a dead ringer for "Granny" Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fargo approves December 5th special election for Fargodome expansion, remodel

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I am not interested in a post-mortem yet. Where is the excitement in this project?? I love seeing the billboards and yard signs. I have drawn a huge magenta circle around my calendar for December 5th. No one will be disappointed in this project when and if it is approved and unfolds. I will take to my bed for a week if the vote fails.
    Won't pass, IMO. I know not one person voting yes, their reason location of the Convention center, I'm starting to think if they just asked for Dome expansion and leave out the convention center it may have had a better chance.

We will see

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Won't pass, IMO. I know not one person voting yes, their reason location of the Convention center, I'm starting to think if they just asked for Dome expansion and leave out the convention center it may have had a better chance.

We will see
    You might be right. But everything I have heard is that there is no realistic amount of space in Fargo for a convention center. If you know of one, let us know. Maybe it would have been better to just go for the DOME upgrade but time will tell what happens.

I know HerdBot knows a lot about this, the ins and outs, but what I have heard is attaching the Convention Center to the FARGODOME would result in shared efficiencies.

I know there are a couple of polls which do not look good for the YES vote and I am besides myself about this but we still have to get out with the YES vote. Hope springs eternal.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    You might be right. But everything I have heard is that there is no realistic amount of space in Fargo for a convention center. If you know of one, let us know. Maybe it would have been better to just go for the DOME upgrade but time will tell what happens.

I know HerdBot knows a lot about this, the ins and outs, but what I have heard is attaching the Convention Center to the FARGODOME would result in shared efficiencies.

I know there are a couple of polls which do not look good for the YES vote and I am besides myself about this but we still have to get out with the YES vote. Hope springs eternal.
    I'm not the one saying its wrong spot, to actually say there is no reasonable good space lol...lots of room the largest US infrastructure project ever is currently being built that will open a shitload of acres.....that IMO is why this will not pass, that and I guarantee 90% of the people who will vote look at this as an advantage to NDSU not the city/region

I can't seriously believe anyone thinks there isn't land for a Convention center, outside North Fargo.

Biggest thing is the Diversion will allow expansion north also, the acres available are unreal.

I would like to see it happen, just think there is too much misinformation out and bad timing

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What is the alternative?
    To those not voting yes, what is your vision for the future of the Dome? It is currently adequate, but will soon be viewed as inadequate without some sort of renovation. It's a glorified auditorium in a world where our counterparts are building state of the art showcase centers. Do we run this dome for another 30 years in it's current form? Each year, a renovation will become more and more expensive, so essentially you are losing money by kicking the can down the road. Would you rather saddle your grandchildren with these costs than sack up and do it now?
    I'm sorry, but I cannot make myself think backwards enough to understand not supporting moving forward NOW, not later.

I would like to see it happen, just think there is too much misinformation out and bad timing[/QUOTE]

Yes, LOTS of misinformation out there. One, that it is mainly an NDSU thing, not a city-wide thing. I don't think lots of people understand the complexity of the whole FARGODOME financial arrangement. Or thinking that NDSU somehow owns the building and it is 'their" problem to fix it. I don't know if people know the history of the FARGODOME or have forgotten it if they lived through the vote 34 years ago. Messaging from the leaders could have been better, clearer, and more concise but no matter how the committee and leaders framed it, people will believe what they want to believe and don't approach issues with an open mind. Some are also headline-readers.

I don't think there will be any vote-swaying at this late date. I think sometimes people hear the word "tax" and they shut down at that. Even if the tax is 1/4 cent. 25 cents for $100 of purchases. And even if the hotel lodging tax increase will probably not impact locals much, if at all.

Timing could have been better but in all honesty, when is a good time??? You wait a few years, and construction costs just go up. If this vote fails, there will be lots of Monday morning quarterbacking but sooner or later in my opinion, the basic amenities must be addressed, bathrooms, accessible seating, some bumping out of the "corners" and food options. But the plan the Committee and everyone else at the DOME came up with is just gorgeous and so beautiful. Every time I look at the plans and designs, I am just blown away. I don't know if there is a Plan B; I am guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    What is the alternative?
    To those not voting yes, what is your vision for the future of the Dome? It is currently adequate, but will soon be viewed as inadequate without some sort of renovation. It's a glorified auditorium in a world where our counterparts are building state of the art showcase centers. Do we run this dome for another 30 years in it's current form? Each year, a renovation will become more and more expensive, so essentially you are losing money by kicking the can down the road. Would you rather saddle your grandchildren with these costs than sack up and do it now?
    I'm sorry, but I cannot make myself think backwards enough to understand not supporting moving forward NOW, not later.
    You are one of the reasonable ones using logic and the big picture as well as looking not so far into the future as to consequences of the DOME not being renovated. I am almost positive I voted 34 years ago when the bill passed to create the FARGODOME - it was a while ago. I remember what Fargo was like before the DOME and I know what it is like now, and one of the biggest differentiators between 31 years ago and now IS the influence and impact of the FARGODOME. I tend to be forward-thinking, progressive and not afraid to be taxed a little bit (25 cents per $100 is doable). I am just exasperated and we haven't even voted yet.

If the issue for some people voting NO is the convention center location next to the DOME, then that is perhaps reasonable - maybe - and the leaders of this will have to figure out what to do about that.

I can't seriously believe anyone thinks there isn't land for a Convention center, outside North Fargo.
    Yes, sometimes I say idiotic things. My deepest apologies.
    Last edited by AlumniGreen; 11-30-2023 at 03:24 AM. Reason: misspelling of a word

I'm not the one saying its wrong spot, to actually say there is no reasonable good space lol...lots of room the largest US infrastructure project ever is currently being built that will open a shitload of acres.....that IMO is why this will not pass, that and I guarantee 90% of the people who will vote look at this as an advantage to NDSU not the city/region

Biggest thing is the Diversion will allow expansion north also, the acres available are unreal.

I would like to see it happen, just think there is too much misinformation out and bad timing
    Doesnt NDSU have a nice track of land in North Fargo by the interstate? or close to it?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    What is the alternative?
    I think its currently inadequate and the poor experience with food, restrooms, etc contributes to attendance woes.
    Also don't see a near term plan B. Will be very disappointed if this fails.