Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-2024 Season

Default Re: 2023-2024 Season

Mooberry got pinned while losing big.

Had some nice shots, but poor finishing cost him.

Dawson loses by decision in a match he could've won. A lot of tactical errors late and missed opportunities early.

Overall, pretty terrible performance by the team.

The Gophers trotted out a 3rd stringer at 133, a backup at 141, a 3rd string 174 at 184 and they came away from those with 2 wins and a narrow defeat.

Peterson lost on a stalling call in OT, which you pretty much never see. Can't say I disagreed with it though and the NDSU staff didn't react to the call either.

Johnson and Howes weren't competitive at all.

Mooberry and Dawson had some nice attacks but did a poor job of finishing.

Only positive for me was Gavan Sax

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Dawson loses by decision in a match he could've won. A lot of tactical errors late and missed opportunities early.

Overall, pretty terrible performance by the team.

The Gophers trotted out a 3rd stringer at 133, a backup at 141, a 3rd string 174 at 184 and they came away from those with 2 wins and a narrow defeat.

Peterson lost on a stalling call in OT, which you pretty much never see. Can't say I disagreed with it though and the NDSU staff didn't react to the call either.

Johnson and Howes weren't competitive at all.

Mooberry and Dawson had some nice attacks but did a poor job of finishing.

Only positive for me was Gavan Sax
    Didn’t watch the dual today but Sax has been a very nice surprise so far. Hopefully March can come back so we can have 2 NCAA qualifiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Forfeiting at 125 is pretty shitty. Several guys on the roster and 3+ hours away. Would've hoped to have backups available but oh well
    @ College level one should never ff in a dual. Not sure why teams do it. D1 should be able and willing to take enough back ups and give them the mat time even if they are projected to get defeated. The type of fight needed to wrestle and defend the best is best gotten in a live match scenario. If it can help the team save even one point by giving up a tech in place of a fall then why wouldn't you? Every kid wants to start and that match that someone ff could have been the match that motivates him to work even harder incase his chance to step in comes again.

Unfortunately injuries happen. When you don’t have a healthy body to put out you HAVE to forfeit. Of course it’s not what anyone wants at any level, college or otherwise. But if someone is not medically cleared to wrestle they can not take the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBison4U View Post
    @ College level one should never ff in a dual. Not sure why teams do it. D1 should be able and willing to take enough back ups and give them the mat time even if they are projected to get defeated. The type of fight needed to wrestle and defend the best is best gotten in a live match scenario. If it can help the team save even one point by giving up a tech in place of a fall then why wouldn't you? Every kid wants to start and that match that someone ff could have been the match that motivates him to work even harder incase his chance to step in comes again.
    Also, 125's is also the one weight you can not bump someone up too.

Fair point. how many 125lbers do we have? Did they not take a back up? i like how some teams had about 5 exhibitions before the main dual . Would love more of that!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBison4U View Post
    Fair point. how many 125lbers do we have? Did they not take a back up? i like how some teams had about 5 exhibitions before the main dual . Would love more of that!
    At 125 the bison have negrete, silvis, and the true freshman mills. Based on the wording of the twitter announcing the forfeit i took it as one of our 125ers was injured and one was sick.

Facing Campbell this afternoon and the bison forfeit 125 and barreto loses a close match so its 9-0 campbell quickly. Drexler gets a big win but bison still down 9-4. But the biggest news of the day is March is back!

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

125-Forfeit
    133-Barreto was the better wrestler for the last two periods but gave up the early takedown and goes down. Based on those last two periods I’m optimistic he can be good here.
    141-Nice win for Drexler. Think he can be multiple NCAA qualifier
    149-March didn’t look good and goes down. Hasn’t wrestled in a month so hopefully shaking off some rust.
    157-Johnson is pretty funky but really good on top. Nice fall here.
    165-Need a long-term solution here.
    174-I’m really impressed with the strides Sax has taken. This was a nice win.
    184-I’m thinking Cherne is the long-term option. Hope they keep his redshirt.
    197-Once again Mooberry gets to legs but not strong/good enough to finish. If he can figure that out could be good.
    285-Wasn’t able to watch Dawson