Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-2024 Season

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2023-2024 Season

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    I’m pretty sure Parker would have red shirted this year even if he had stayed here and/or healthy at OK. . Hoose from Buffalo was originally coming to ndsu before following Kish to OK and with one yr remaining makes a perfect fit for Parker to take the year off
    I think Franek and Caliendo leaving forced me to erase my memory in regards to anything related to college wrestling for the month of April/May ha ha. So it looks like Cherne majored Hoose today? Did I see that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    It’s pretty simple to see that Kish said/did some things that didn’t sit well with Obe and the remaining kids on the team during his departure. All of the OK kids shook the bison coaches hands after the matches were done. None of the BiZon kids shook Rogers hand after he recruited all of them. And I’m not sure what people think Obe could have done differently than what he did. Kids in the transfer portal don’t have NDSU high on their list of places to go to when places like OU, Oregon St etc……. Are calling at the same time. Carlson, MCDermett and the Stanford kid from Anoka were the only kids in the portal that would have been upgrades. Kish got in on Carlson, Pendleton grabbed MCDermett and the other kid got denied his extra year.
    Sax shook kish and i think marsden hands after his loss, but your point remains the same. Didn't seem like it was a friendly atmosphere between the two teams.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    I think Franek and Caliendo leaving forced me to erase my memory in regards to anything related to college wrestling for the month of April/May ha ha. So it looks like Cherne majored Hoose today? Did I see that correctly?
    Yep. He wrestled a solid match against Hoose. Took him down at will.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Sax shook kish and i think marsden hands after his loss, but your point remains the same. Didn't seem like it was a friendly atmosphere between the two teams.
    Yep after the match there were some handshakes going through the line but none after the matches like the OK kids did.

Sax did shake after losing his match, only Bison to do so. He hesitated before doing it but he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    It was a weird interaction, for sure.

I don't blame Kish for the way things unfolded, as anybody would be crazy to not jump at taking a better job with a far better compensation package. The timing of it was a worst case scenario for NDSU, but that was OU's doing.

Obe got the job and while things look awful right now, he deserves a couple seasons to get the ship right.

That being said, Obe didn't handle the transition well at all either.
    I can't blame Kish for taking the job either, but he didn't have to take so many guys with him (wrestlers, coaches, incoming transfers, recruits). And while he didn't actually get 157, 165, and 197, he is the easiest to blame for those guys going too. I know I still had a lot of anger directed toward my television today.

All that being said, I'm not sure that the outcome today would have been much different without all of the changes.

Kish would have been stupid NOT to take the Oklahoma job. He was as hot as he was ever going to be coming off last year with a solid dual season and two AA’s. Not to mention basically doubling his salary and having way more resources ($$$$$) to work with. That being said it’s not like he was Oklahomas first choice for the job and only had the chance after people like Hahn said they weren’t interested. It’s going to suck for the next couple years but I believe they’ll be better off long term with Obe at the helm than they would have been had Kish stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    It does seem like Obe could have hit the portal harder but I am willing to play the long game a little. I have hopes for Cherne and Greenley, we have some rs freshmen who could be potential qualifiers, and the recruiting class I think looks promising.
    Kish was hired May 2nd and the portal closed May 7th. What was Obe supposed to do? Then all the other teams had an additional 30 days to try poach our guys due to the head coach leaving and we couldn’t do anything but try keep our own guys. The Bison were put in a shit situation. It’s going to be a tough year but I think k Obe can get things turned in the right direction but it’s going to take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    Kish was hired May 2nd and the portal closed May 7th. What was Obe supposed to do? Then all the other teams had an additional 30 days to try poach our guys due to the head coach leaving and we couldn’t do anything but try keep our own guys. The Bison were put in a shit situation. It’s going to be a tough year but I think k Obe can get things turned in the right direction but it’s going to take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mostly agree, except the portal characterization.

The portal closed the following week for guys to enter it and have immediate eligibility (grad transfers excluded). You could still add guys who already entered the portal so there was opportunity to fill some holes on the roster.

They have some young talent with Drexler, Greenley, Baretto, and Cherne but it’s going to be a lean couple of years as the team lacks depth and pretty much all of the class of 24 spoken for.

What kid in the portal was going to WANT to come to NDSU when the situation was the way it was. NONE. It’s pretty simple. Anyone can say OBE should have filled spots with people in the portal. The fact is anyone that was an upgrade wasn’t coming here.