Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summit League Media info.

Default Re: Summit League Media info.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    "The Summit League Network powered by Midco Sports Plus is available in mobile/tablet apps (iOS and Android), connected TV device apps (AppleTV, FireTV, and Roku), and a web-based browser interface (SummitLeagueNetwork.tv)."

Anyone can get the Midco Sport Plus app/subscription. Midco cable is not required.

Getting CBSSN has already been covered.
    "Member institutions will retain the local linear distribution rights for any games not on CBS Sports Network."

Chapo, scottie, your rabbit ears and tin foil for WDAY Extra will still work.
    But WDAY can't stream, that's SLN's now.
    Exactly. What a shitty downgrade for NDSU.

But you'll still cash the larger than before check.

But you'll still cash the larger than before check.
    Well that is a silly comment. For 1) I have no idea if the check is bigger than NDSU's previous "check" but 2) the fans and even NDSU can feel like the new agreement is a downgrade in value to the fans while also being tied to a larger group that makes decisions on behalf of everybody.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Well that is a silly comment. For 1) I have no idea if the check is bigger than NDSU's previous "check" but 2) the fans and even NDSU can feel like the new agreement is a downgrade in value to the fans while also being tied to a larger group that makes decisions on behalf of everybody.
    Schools will still get their media payment from linear sources and I would assume its set up to reward the schools that bring the most subscribers to the streaming service, which schools aren't getting anything for right now. That's how Fenton set up the NCHC streaming and its a been a very solid model for the conference.
    Not sure how its a downgrade as the funds are going to the conference partner, with almost all sports being streamed, and not ESPN who isn't sending checks back to anyone. This also will push the schools who aren't providing quality streaming to get it up to par, which is a win for everyone. The only real change for NDSU is people who aren't in market and were already paying for streaming won't have to pay ESPN+ or WDAY for home games. Instead they subscribe to Summit Streaming and get all conference games, home and away.
    The alternative is NDSU could be an independent in all sports if they don't want a "larger" group (aka conference) making the best decisions for the group.

Maybe I'm missing what you think the downgrade is though?

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Schools will still get their media payment from linear sources and I would assume its set up to reward the schools that bring the most subscribers to the streaming service, which schools aren't getting anything for right now. That's how Fenton set up the NCHC streaming and its a been a very solid model for the conference.
    Not sure how its a downgrade as the funds are going to the conference partner, with almost all sports being streamed, and not ESPN who isn't sending checks back to anyone. This also will push the schools who aren't providing quality streaming to get it up to par, which is a win for everyone. The only real change for NDSU is people who aren't in market and were already paying for streaming won't have to pay ESPN+ or WDAY for home games. Instead they subscribe to Summit Streaming and get all conference games, home and away.
    The alternative is NDSU could be an independent in all sports if they don't want a "larger" group (aka conference) making the best decisions for the group.

The downgrade is no ESPN+. Many people have ESPN+ included through a streaming service or through a Disney bundle. Using myself as an example I won’t pay for the Mico stream to watch NDSU basketball, but I would watch them because I already have an ESPN+ subscription. Time will tell if I’m an outlier or the norm.

Downgrade is that now I need ESPN+ to watch football, SLN to watch basketball and can’t watch the tourney because it’s in some archaic sports network that you have to have cable or a live TV subscription.

And its laughable to think schools are going to up their broadcast quality because of this.

Guarantee we will see the same top of the bleacher single camera span from half of the schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    The downgrade is no ESPN+. Many people have ESPN+ included through a streaming service or through a Disney bundle. Using myself as an example I won’t pay for the Mico stream to watch NDSU basketball, but I would watch them because I already have an ESPN+ subscription. Time will tell if I’m an outlier or the norm.
    This is my position exactly.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

This not accurate. People out of market (myself) still need ESPN+ for football games AND will need to add a subscription to SLN. But at least we'll miss some "nationally televised" games and the title games because they're on CBSSN, which isn't available on my provider.

At least ESPN+ provides value with countless games in multiple sports. I'm not seeing that value with SLN. Reminds me of Flo.

First world problems, I know. I'm not sure more exposure and CBSSN should be used in the same sentence.
    Last edited by KSBisonFan; 08-11-2023 at 11:17 PM.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    This not accurate. People out of market (myself) still need ESPN+ for football games AND will need to add a subscription to SLN. But at least we'll miss some "nationally televised" games and the title games because they're on CBSSN, which isn't available on my provider.

At least ESPN+ provides value with countless games in multiple sports. I'm not seeing that value with SLN. Reminds me of Flo.

First world problems, I know. I'm not sure more exposure and CBSSN should be used in the same sentence.
    So there is one or two months (November/December) where you have to downs an extra $10 I guess.
    But now you can watch home and away games on one platform. And all other sports.

So there is one or two months (November/December) where you have to downs an extra $10 I guess.
    But now you can watch home and away games on one platform. And all other sports.
    I agree this is an issue, but I don't think it's a huge one either. This is a symptom of FB and Basketball being in seperate conferences though, which is the real issue. Summit shouldn't be restricted by what the MVFC does in regard to tv.