Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dacotah Field Memories

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dacotah Field Memories

To young to remember much, but the only game I remember was someone with the band being injured so bad the ambulance needed to come on the field and it was a big deal.

This memory makes little sense so I just write it off as me being a 4 year old in 1990 or so and not knowing what I was watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I remember hosting in the President's suite as a member of the Student Alumni Association. It was far from fancy, but it was fun meeting with key alumni and staying warm on cold days. I also remember playing flag football on the turf. It was very hard and grippy. I was an amazing running back on that field!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The Spectrum put it on page 1 (with photo which really made me feel bad, actually, the wrangler looks devastated.) Spectrum 1978-09-08.pdf (ndsu.edu)

Also, the neo-Puritans who run the state now could find something on nearly every page to get mad about (if they could read.)
    That was fall of my freshman year. I was living in RJ and we had gotten some booze from Moorhead and were pulling into the parking lot and saw them hauling it away.

My favorite version of the Spectrum was the annual Rectum version they did for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    Many years ago, I was allowed to buy my employers seat for playoff games. I saw 3 quarters of games before I went to work.
    Um, I'm not sure how that made you feel at the time, but it made me want to burn something to the ground.
    Last edited by tony; 07-26-2023 at 02:57 PM. Reason: pronouns

Dacotah Field was also used by the high schools in Fargo (except for Oak Grove) so I spent a few Friday evenings there watching the South High Bruins.
    It's OK to not be OK.

I have another. I was in college in the 70s and went to a game against South Dakota. The Coyote quarterback threw a hail mary to the end zone and the receiver caught the damn ball while lying on his back. Game over.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    I have another. I was in college in the 70s and went to a game against South Dakota. The Coyote quarterback threw a hail mary to the end zone and the receiver caught the damn ball while lying on his back. Game over.
    It was 1973. What many dont know is Greg Benson the D back did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play. He knocked the ball down to the ground. Unfortunately the receiver happened to be laying where he knocked it down.

Because we lost the head to head with them they went to the playoffs.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It was 1973. What many dont know is Greg Benson the D back did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play. He knocked the ball down to the ground. Unfortunately the receiver happened to be laying where he knocked it down.

Because we lost the head to head with them they went to the playoffs.
    Were you on that team 73? I remember watching you play. You were really good. I had forgotten that Benson knocked it down. Now I can see it happening. Yes... he did the right thing. Just very unlucky. Had forgotten about the playoff implications too. Those early 70s teams were actually very good and fun to watch. It was Bison Football. I invited a couple of Minnesota friends to a game once... and after it was over they said that the Bison would beat the Gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Were you on that team 73? I remember watching you play. You were really good. I had forgotten that Benson knocked it down. Now I can see it happening. Yes... he did the right thing. Just very unlucky. Had forgotten about the playoff implications too. Those early 70s teams were actually very good and fun to watch. It was Bison Football. I invited a couple of Minnesota friends to a game once... and after it was over they said that the Bison would beat the Gophers.
    Fact is we never should have been in that position to begin with. Our head coach made some terrible decisions that cost us.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Fact is we never should have been in that position to begin with. Our head coach made some terrible decisions that cost us.
    Did you have Kjelbertson as your head coach the whole time you were at NDSU? It seemed like a lull in the program. Still... I thought the over-all caliber of play was very good.