Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Franek/Caliendo both go to Iowa

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Franek/Caliendo both go to Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    It definitely makes it less fun. You get a kid to AA as a freshman/sophomore you can kiss him goodbye.

Kiss him goodbye ... or pay him yourself!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Pretty lackluster showing on a national stage for both Franek and Caliendo on ESPN.

Franek benefits from a 50/50 call at the buzzer to survive vs freshman Cody Chittum. I thought Chittum had the TD just before the clock hit zeros, which would have won it for him, but can understand not awarding the takedown.

Caliendo got absolutely waxed by David Carr and lost by 16-4 major decision.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Pretty lackluster showing on a national stage for both Franek and Caliendo on ESPN.

Franek benefits from a 50/50 call at the buzzer to survive vs freshman Cody Chittum. I thought Chittum had the TD just before the clock hit zeros, which would have won it for him, but can understand not awarding the takedown.

Just missed Franek’s match. Definitely agree on Caliendo. He was totally outclassed by Carr. Looks like O’ Toole and Carr again at 165.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Just missed Franek’s match. Definitely agree on Caliendo. He was totally outclassed by Carr. Looks like O’ Toole and Carr again at 165.
    Franek had a great takedown early and then shut down his offense.

He also didn’t look improved on top and the late lapse on the edge almost swung the dual.IMG_0768.jpg

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

Franek was lackluster? He won 4-2 against a kid who was the #1 overall recruit in his class and most likely a future AA, who’s capable of scoring a lot of points. Call was reviewed and called correctly
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I can’t read this threadline and not see Frank Caliendo.
    I'm glad you said that. I thought it was just me?

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Franek was lackluster? He won 4-2 against a kid who was the #1 overall recruit in his class and most likely a future AA, who’s capable of scoring a lot of points. Call was reviewed and called correctly
    Yes, IMO he was lackluster.

He took one great shot and then shut it down against a (very good) freshman. The final call was as close as it can get and while I think it was a takedown, the call stood.

He didn't show any improvement on top either, which was one area I was hoping to see improvement.

For a guy who is supposed to be a national title contender, I would call his performance today lackluster (and it doesn't have to be an argument if you disagree).

Totally disagree. He wrestled like he always does and beat a kid that will be favored in most all of the matches he wrestles the rest of the year. As far as it being an argument that’s up to you as I’m stating what I saw which was a typical Jared Franek match. At 184 a really good freshman (that moved up a weight) beat a returning AA after getting an early TD and being shutdown after that. That wasn’t lackluster either. It was two good wrestlers going at it. Don’t make a statement like lackluster if you don’t want a response. Time to go pet my cat. Oh wait I don’t have one.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Totally disagree. He wrestled like he always does and beat a kid that will be favored in most all of the matches he wrestles the rest of the year. As far as it being an argument that’s up to you as I’m stating what I saw which was a typical Jared Franek match. At 184 a really good freshman (that moved up a weight) beat a returning AA after getting an early TD and being shutdown after that. That wasn’t lackluster either. It was two good wrestlers going at it. Don’t make a statement like lackluster if you don’t want a response. Time to go pet my cat. Oh wait I don’t have one.
    Sorry about that cat, it was delicious by the way. I agree with you, in that people need to understand that this is not a high school with some first-year wrestlers starting alongside some 10+year seasoned vets with state titles. At this level it only takes one mistake. To go from looking amazing to having people think you lost your mojo. In reality this is a game of milliseconds, angle of view and a slight difference in mindset and physical wellbeing. Obviously, there are levels to this but most recently we have seen one of the best college wrestlers ever get beat along with high level college guys take Ls from High school guys. granted some may have taken a rainbow mix of shirts to stay extra eligible.

This sport is brutal. These guys train harder than any sport out there. Then if they make one mistake, people think they suck and want someone else in there. To have Fans easily flip on you and then for fun we add in you can starve yourself while putting in a ton of work or eat meals that taste like the box, they came in. If I am ever a fan of someone then I am always a fan. Exception would be a crime against a child or openly talking about people like me in a way that I see you are not the person I want to be associated with. We must support our people but not in the process of degrading those that have left or the pipeline will become a river Baison . Everyone wants to know people care about them. They will remember how we made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBison4U View Post
    Sorry about that cat, it was delicious by the way. I agree with you, in that people need to understand that this is not a high school with some first-year wrestlers starting alongside some 10+year seasoned vets with state titles. At this level it only takes one mistake. To go from looking amazing to having people think you lost your mojo. In reality this is a game of milliseconds, angle of view and a slight difference in mindset and physical wellbeing. Obviously, there are levels to this but most recently we have seen one of the best college wrestlers ever get beat along with high level college guys take Ls from High school guys. granted some may have taken a rainbow mix of shirts to stay extra eligible.

This sport is brutal. These guys train harder than any sport out there. Then if they make one mistake, people think they suck and want someone else in there. To have Fans easily flip on you and then for fun we add in you can starve yourself while putting in a ton of work or eat meals that taste like the box, they came in. If I am ever a fan of someone then I am always a fan. Exception would be a crime against a child or openly talking about people like me in a way that I see you are not the person I want to be associated with. We must support our people but not in the process of degrading those that have left or the pipeline will become a river Baison . Everyone wants to know people care about them. They will remember how we made them feel.
    Let’s face it, this most likely isn’t going to be the last time the BiZon lose a quality wrestler in the transfer portal. It’s something we all need to accept and get used to. NIL has changed the landscape of all sports and wrestling is no different. I was cheering for Iowa St to beat Iowa in the dual yet was also cheering for both Franek and Caliendo to win their matches. I will continue to hope DJ Parker has a great two seasons after he red shirts this year at Oklahoma. Kish on the other hand not so much. Btw it was a Tom Cat ��