Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Preseason rankings

Default Re: 2023 Preseason rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Going off of who was starting when healthy the returning starters on offense: Miller, Mathis, Sundell, Poncius. On defense: E Mostaert, Derritt, Weerts/Kubitz, Wisniewski. I guess you could count Price too but seemed like Talbert and Eubanks were the starters.

However you want to slice it there was a ton of experience lost off last year's team. They'll need guys to step up at multiple positions to avoid a drop off and Cam Miller needs to take that next step.
    I think the biggest thing that needs to happen this year is Miller playing better. I think he’s better than a lot give him credit for but my god he had some TERRIBLE games throwing. I still think he can be a really good QB but he’s running out of time to show it imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TAILG8R; 05-25-2023 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I think the biggest thing that needs to happen this year is Miller playing better. I think he’s better than a lot give him credit for but my gos he had some TERRIBLE games throwing. I still think he can be a really good QB but he’s running out of time to show it imo.

Agreed... I think the coaches need to help him out too by giving him more easy throws on the early downs. I was pretty disgusted last year when he made a comment in the post-game after the semifinal (when he went 1-12 or something like that) that he told the coaches to use his legs since he didn't have any confidence in his arm. That's not what a QB towards the end of his 3rd year starting should be saying and, if he does, the coaches need to figure out how to give him some confidence.

I think it's tough to be a QB in NDSU's system, especially since Entz took over, because you get so few chances to throw the ball it's hard to get/stay in rhythm as a passer. It's like a shooter in basketball - the only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting but it helps to get some easy ones like layups and free throws. For a QB the layup and free throw type throws are first/second down play action when the defense is triple geared to stop the run. Without a more diverse offense I'm pretty sure the 2023 Bison take a step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Didn't know Poncious ever started? What about Kubas? Believe Zabel started all yr as well. Westburg started at least 3 games the season prior as well as 6 or 7 games last yr.
    Sorry, I meant Mason Miller at RT before he got hurt against SIU. Is Kubas back? that would be another then... I get so mixed up by these guys listed as seniors two years in a row with the COVID years. Zabel and Westberg only started due to injuries to Miller and Sundell I believe.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 05-25-2023 at 02:07 PM.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Agreed... I think the coaches need to help him out too by giving him more easy throws on the early downs. I was pretty disgusted last year when he made a comment in the post-game after the semifinal (when he went 1-12 or something like that) that he told the coaches to use his legs since he didn't have any confidence in his arm. That's not what a QB towards the end of his 3rd year starting should be saying and, if he does, the coaches need to figure out how to give him some confidence.

I think it's tough to be a QB in NDSU's system, especially since Entz took over, because you get so few chances to throw the ball it's hard to get/stay in rhythm as a passer. It's like a shooter in basketball - the only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting but it helps to get some easy ones like layups and free throws. For a QB the layup and free throw type throws are first/second down play action when the defense is triple geared to stop the run. Without a more diverse offense I'm pretty sure the 2023 Bison take a step backwards.
    You seem to be blaming the system for performance issues. But that same system has worked well for many years now. We've won plenty of rings with this system.

Maybe it's more about the players we have now, or the way the coaches are approaching it with practice, training and other aspects. Honestly, I do wonder sometimes if we've taken a small step back on the coaching side.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    You seem to be blaming the system for performance issues. But that same system has worked well for many years now. We've won plenty of rings with this system.

Maybe it's more about the players we have now, or the way the coaches are approaching it with practice, training and other aspects. Honestly, I do wonder sometimes if we've taken a small step back on the coaching side.
    This year will tell. Talent is not the same that won championships under Entz... Can he coach? Can TR coach? Can the new DC coach?
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Could be the players - we did enjoy pro caliber QBs for nearly 10 straight years (Jensen definitely didn't start off like one). Although Cam Miller was very efficient last year with a 66% completion percentage and QB rating of nearly 150 but he only had 243 pass attempts in 15 games (~16 per game) - that's at least 3 pass attempts per game fewer than any other year with this same system. One dimensional offenses are easier to defend than diverse offenses and when they match up against defenses they can't simply overpower (like they will in Brookings this year) they need to have some way to keep defenses honest.

Our defense is my concern. Secondary especially.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Our defense is my concern. Secondary especially.
    Our offense isn't a concern to you? I'd be worried about the defense because they won't be able to stay off the field! MEATHEAD FOOTBALL!!!!!!
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Seemed pretty clear to me the Kopp should have been a started last year.

I’m not nearly worried about the skill of our players as I am the ability of our coaches to get the best product on the field week in and week out. And that means personnel, play calling, team unity, everything.

I’m hopeful though. Don’t want to sound like a Debbie downer.

I co-sign this post.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I disagree. Our playcalling was different under Roehl than with our other OCs. We are run-first, yes, but adjustments are not there and Roehl’s rings benefited from some pretty dynamic QB runners.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    Our offense isn't a concern to you? I'd be worried about the defense because they won't be able to stay off the field! MEATHEAD FOOTBALL!!!!!!
    The offense is definitely a concern, especially the lack of imagination in our playcalling and using the middle of the field in the passing game. The offense didn't do any favors for the defense last season, but the defense repeatedly couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs, and they had plenty of chances. Someone needs to become a leader of the defense and it needs to happen fast.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013