Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NDSU Offseason Moves

Thumbs up Re: NDSU Offseason Moves

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Willie talked about the NDSU situation on his latest TFW. Said he is 99.9% sure MN was contacting Caliendo prior to entering the portal. Also said he entered the portal as a "do not contact" and wound up with multiple offers almost immediately. Also said he thinks it is Iowa or MN.

As far as Franek, he said he doesn't know where he is going, but hopes he is back at NDSU next year. Personally, I think Franek to Iowa for 1 year makes a lot of sense. He already has that Iowa style and I think he could flourish there (I almost puked typing that).

As far as Obe and NDSU, he essentially said, yeah they'll be bad this year but he is confident they'll be fine in the long run.

Sounds like Magayna will be coming to NDSU in 2024, which is very good to hear.
    maximus #7.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/IAwrestle
    https://rokfin.com/ranking/3240/IAwr...FAB50-Rankings
    7 Maximus Magayna Jr Waterloo East 3A
    looks like he is still slated to be a bison but the other Iowa hammer Koufax Christensen has now flipped to Oklahoma.
    Last edited by BabyBison4U; 06-06-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Default Re: NDSU Offseason Moves

Two-time state champ Koufax Christensen will be headed to Oklahoma after the coaching changes at NDSU.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Backup Manix Morgan is following Kish to Oklahoma. Rutgers HWT Boone McDermott has moved on to Oregon St
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

With Franek and Caliendo officially gone, maybe they'll finally add some guys to replace all of the departures.

Beyond frustrated with how things have gone thus far.

With Franek and Caliendo officially gone, maybe they'll finally add some guys to replace all of the departures.

Beyond frustrated with how things have gone thus far.
    There’s really nothing to add that’s going to be an upgrade to what they have. With no NIL money they’re not going to be a player in the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    There’s really nothing to add that’s going to be an upgrade to what they have. With no NIL money they’re not going to be a player in the portal.
    Strongly disagree. There are plenty of guys in the portal that are upgrades but not good enough to warrant NIL money.

They should be flush with scholarship money and need to use it to bring in competition and talent.

Strongly disagree. There are plenty of guys in the portal that are upgrades but not good enough to warrant NIL money.

They should be flush with scholarship money and need to use it to bring in competition and talent.
    Who that they would have a chance at ?

No clue.

I'd like to see them go after Carlson at 165 (who is a MN kid), Donald Cates would make sense coming from NC State, a HWT with a pulse would be nice and I don't think Jacob Kaminski has transferred yet, Tyler Eischens is a MN kid and more accomplished than anyone we have on our roster, Darrien Roberts would upgrade 184, Killian Delaney would instantly upgrade 125. Eischens, Carlson, and Cates all have ties to either the staff or the area. No other team can compete with the scholarship money NDSU should have available which should be a big advantage in going after the others.

Even this week, Alejandro Herrera would've been a good get but he just picked mighty Clarion and Finn Solomon from NC State would've been great (and a logical add with Hidlay coming from there) but he is now at Pitt.

The inactivity is utterly baffling. We lost a ton of scholarship athletes and didn't increase our recruiting class at all. Obe was quoted in a Forum article saying he would welcome the portal guys back, but I hope he wasn't waiting on their decision before offering other guys, because that's what it looks like from the outside.

Barreto, Drexler, and Johnson are all promising to varying levels and March is good, but the rest of the team is a bunch of massive question marks or suboptimal options.

This is not good and there is no depth in the upper weights: https://gobison.com/sports/wrestling...path=wrestling

No clue.

I'd like to see them go after Carlson at 165 (who is a MN kid), Donald Cates would make sense coming from NC State, a HWT with a pulse would be nice and I don't think Jacob Kaminski has transferred yet, Tyler Eischens is a MN kid and more accomplished than anyone we have on our roster, Darrien Roberts would upgrade 184, Killian Delaney would instantly upgrade 125. Eischens, Carlson, and Cates all have ties to either the staff or the area. No other team can compete with the scholarship money NDSU should have available which should be a big advantage in going after the others.

Even this week, Alejandro Herrera would've been a good get but he just picked mighty Clarion and Finn Solomon from NC State would've been great (and a logical add with Hidlay coming from there) but he is now at Pitt.

The inactivity is utterly baffling. We lost a ton of scholarship athletes and didn't increase our recruiting class at all. Obe was quoted in a Forum article saying he would welcome the portal guys back, but I hope he wasn't waiting on their decision before offering other guys, because that's what it looks like from the outside.

Barreto, Drexler, and Johnson are all promising to varying levels and March is good, but the rest of the team is a bunch of massive question marks or suboptimal options.

This is not good and there is no depth in the upper weights: https://gobison.com/sports/wrestling...path=wrestling
    Not a top 20 kid in that list nor anyone that wold be worth near full scholarship money. Everyone you listed is a massive question mark and would also have to want to come to Fargo, some after having been places like Palo Alto. Carlson and Eishens would be nice but I would much rather they use the scholarship money on kids coming fresh into the program that they can develop into tournament wrestlers. Plus, Obe had no choice but to wait to see if Franek and Caliendo would come back. I’m glad he’s not panicking and and taking people just because. He’s looking a couple years down the road which is what he should be doing.

But you don't roll scholarship money over and they haven't brought anybody in, other than a JUCO HWT who doesn't look the part.

If this holds true, then they just spread the money out to guys in the program. Great for those guys, but horrible for building out the talent and depth of the team.

We don't have a D1 caliber guy at 184 or HWT right now, and possibly 157 or 165 (whichever one Johnson doesn't go). Unless they start a tFr, which isn't really looking a couple years down the road.