Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NDSU Offseason Moves

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU Offseason Moves

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    But you don't roll scholarship money over and they haven't brought anybody in, other than a JUCO HWT who doesn't look the part.

If this holds true, then they just spread the money out to guys in the program. Great for those guys, but horrible for building out the talent and depth of the team.

We don't have a D1 caliber guy at 184 or HWT right now, and possibly 157 or 165 (whichever one Johnson doesn't go). Unless they start a tFr, which isn't really looking a couple years down the road.
    Stanford had 16 wrestlers on their team this past year. Took their beatings and were forced to wrestle a true freshman they didn’t want to because of injuries. They’re bringing in a top recruiting class and looking towards 2024. You can wrestle a freshman and then RS him the next year. You could start Greenley or Licht next season and then flip to the other one the following year while redshirting the other then.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

This coming season is going to be a blood bath no matter what. I’ll be happy if they bring in Carlson or Eishens but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t. This is the new world of college sports and lesser tier schools like ndsu are going to have to adapt to it. As for telling Mikey Caliendo to pound rocks I think it’s kinda sad. He’s doing what’s best for him as is Franek. I’ll be cheering for them both to win it all.

NDSU isn't Stanford and never will be. Academics, prestige, and recruiting base just aren't the same. Obe also isn't Rob Koll.

As far as Caliendo, cool, I feel differently. For me, he voluntarily went from my favorite wrestling program to my all time least favorite team in any sport after one year in the lineup. Franek gave 5 years to NDSU and was probably the best ambassador the program has had.

Any of the recruits wrestling at Fargo freestyle or greco this summer?

NDSU isn't Stanford and never will be. Academics, prestige, and recruiting base just aren't the same. Obe also isn't Rob Koll.

As far as Caliendo, cool, I feel differently. For me, he voluntarily went from my favorite wrestling program to my all time least favorite team in any sport after one year in the lineup. Franek gave 5 years to NDSU and was probably the best ambassador the program has had.
    That’s my point. It’s not like a kid is going to have fargo high on his list when there are many other places with NIL, scholarships and “prestige”. Caliendo got six figures to go to a top 3 program in the country. He Absolutely should go and anyone with a brain would do the same.

22) North Dakota State

Recruits: #99 Luke Barker (Dodge City, KS - 174 lbs), #132 Markell Rivera-Cain (Ironwood, AZ - 197 lbs), #139 Boeden Greenley (Lisbon, ND - 157/165 lbs), #156 Zane Licht (Lodi, WI - 165 lbs), #178 Adam Cherne (Wayzata, MN - 184 lbs), #187 Amantee Mills (Stone Mountain, GA - 133 lbs), Jesse Aarness (Billings West, MT - 149 lbs)

Transfer: Devon Dawson (Pratt CC)

Immediate Impact: With former head coach Roger Kish taking the Oklahoma head coaching post, it could open up a couple of holes in the NDSU lineup for the 2023-24 season. We’ve already seen last year’s starter at heavyweight, Juan Mora, indicate that he’ll follow Kish to Norman. That paves the way for two-time NJCAA All-American Devon Dawson to step in right away at 285 lbs. Dawson was third last year after making the national finals in 2022.

Recruiting Strategy: Recruiting at home, along with neighboring Minnesota and Wisconsin has been a must for North Dakota State. That has been consistent with the 2023 class They’ve also done well at hitting some of the states that are underserved by DI wrestling (Kansas and Montana). Since Obe Blanc has taken the reins as head coach, I expect those points to continue. Going forward, it’ll be interesting to monitor if Hayden Hidlay (NC State via PA) can open any new recruiting doors.

Overall: Blanc has to get credit for this recruiting class not falling apart after Kish left. It makes sense because Blanc was instrumental in the recruiting process. Amantee Mills, the lowest ranked of the six new Bison ranked in MatScouts top-200, finished his high school career as an NHSCA Senior National Champion. Top recruit, Luke Barker, won NHSCA’s as a junior. Home state product Boeden Greenley was a Fargo Junior freestyle AA last year and Zane Licht was fourth in UWW U17 freestyle last year.

The transition from Kish to Blanc shouldn’t be as drastic as if there was a completely new face in Fargo. Having a deep class like this, should ensure that there’s plenty of talent in the room for Blanc to work with as he sets the foundation for his own program.

Past Classes: 2022: NR 2021: #15

Intermat @ rokfin
    Last edited by BabyBison4U; 06-20-2023 at 04:01 PM. Reason: give footnote

Kids listed in top 200 definitely have what it takes to wrestle at D1 level. Need to continue to improve to AA? yes but they have the skillz

Pentz to Nebraska.

Zach Silvis made the under 20 greco world team yesterday.

Kellyn March got 4th in under 23 greco while Clay Radenz got 5th (and lost to March) at 72 KG.

Spencer Mooberry and Clay Radenz are scheduled to wrestle in freestyle.

Please consider supporting Zach Silvis as he prepares to compete at the u20 World Championships in Poland this August. Here is a link to the t-shirt sale we have running to help off set costs and support Zach at the same time! We appreciate everyones support! Order deadline is July 10

https://zachsilvisworldteamstore2023...com/shop/home/

Cael Carlson to OU…