Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double first base

Default Re: Double first base

NFHS baseball rule book covers this. Rule 8, section 4 , Article 1g.

I was so glad when slowpitch softball made this change 20 some years ago. Way too many hard collisions at first base.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Just finished umpiring a Class A Super Regional high school baseball game. Bottom of the seventh, home team batting and down by a run. The relief pitcher hits the first two batters. The 3rd batter lays down a bunt. The pitcher fields the ball, throws to first, it's a banger play but there's a collision at first between the batter runner and first baseman. Ball gets by the first baseman and then goes out of bounds. Dead ball; however, the away coach is claiming batter runner was out of the runner's lane and should be called out for runner's lane interference. It's the home plate umpires call, why, because he's supposed to be watching that shit. Me, the first base umpire, have nothing. ...why, because it's not my damn call to see if the runner is inside the runner's lane. When the dust clears, the score is tied, runners at second and third, no outs. Next batter hits a single ...... game over. Now, back to the OP. Had there been a double first base, it would have been so much easier to ascertain for the plate umpire if the batter runner was outside his lane. Anyway, the first baseman took a shot in the chest by the batter runner because the throw from the pitcher pulled him into the batter runner's path. He was knocked down and hurt; he was removed from the game; the extent of his injuries I have no idea. Wake up, baseball fans, it's time for double first bases.