Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juan Mora in transfer Portal

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Juan Mora in transfer Portal

According to Flo Wrestling Juan Mora was a late addition to the transfer portal. If true, and he were to leave it would leave a gaping hole at HWT with only Lathan Duda at hwt on the roster. I wonder if they have a transfer coming in that hasn’t been announced yet.
    Last edited by PaBizon; 05-09-2023 at 08:57 PM.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Juan Mora in transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    According to Flo Wrestling Juan Mora was skate addition to the transfer portal. If true, and he were to leave it would leave a gaping hole at HWT with only Lathan Duda at hwt on the roster. I wonder if they have a transfer coming in that hasn’t been announced yet.
    Damn. He may not have had a very high top end but I think he would have qualified the next few years. Also loved his effort. We need to hit the portal for a heavyweight.

The transfer portal is very bare at HWT, but making a portal acquisition is a must. That being said, I also don't think losing Juan is a back breaker. He was fine and an alternate for NCAAs, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a fringe NCAA qualifier without major changes to his attack rate, finishing ability, and mat wrestling. He was a genuinely terrible wrestler from top, and that hurt him at HWT (although it is less of a factor under the new rules).

A guy like Indiana's Jacob Kaminski could walk in, give you the same-ish results and have even more eligibility than Mora. He didn't wrestle a lot as a tFr, but did beat Tarvis Stefanik, and I can't imagine Kaminski is swimming in offers.

Boone McDerrmott is probably the top guy in the portal and he's better than Mora, but way less eligibility remaining and only slightly better.

Damarian Lopez out of Colorado ranked #9 at HWT and #95 on Flos 2023 big board is still unsigned. Pick up the phone

Heck, I've never seen the kid wrestle, but I'd take that.

Sounds like NDSU will have some scholarship money available, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Heck, I've never seen the kid wrestle, but I'd take that.

Sounds like NDSU will have some scholarship money available, so why not?
    Right now they’re going to have to try anything and everything to find a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    The transfer portal is very bare at HWT, but making a portal acquisition is a must. That being said, I also don't think losing Juan is a back breaker. He was fine and an alternate for NCAAs, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a fringe NCAA qualifier without major changes to his attack rate, finishing ability, and mat wrestling. He was a genuinely terrible wrestler from top, and that hurt him at HWT (although it is less of a factor under the new rules).

A guy like Indiana's Jacob Kaminski could walk in, give you the same-ish results and have even more eligibility than Mora. He didn't wrestle a lot as a tFr, but did beat Tarvis Stefanik, and I can't imagine Kaminski is swimming in offers.

Boone McDerrmott is probably the top guy in the portal and he's better than Mora, but way less eligibility remaining and only slightly better.
    At least McDermott brings experience and would buy you a year to find a recruit. He beat Minnesotas Joles at Big 10’s and was a NQ which right now I’d take. He also spent two years at Iowa CC before Rutgers so maybe spending a year in the Midwest wouldn’t freak him out too badly.

Boone Wrestled High School in Dubuque Iowa. He would be much closer to home. How much time will he have left, 1 or 2 years?

Is Lopez a football guy, holding out for a football scholarship? Maybe he was waiting to see where the best spot would be to wrestle? if he lived in mountains of Colorado, it would be nice weather for him. If he was more in the sand dunes, then we may need to get him a fur coat.

According to Flo Wrestling Oklahoma HWT Josh Heinsleman is in the portal. Makes it look like Mora will be following Kish to OU.

I'd welcome any of him, McDermott or Kaminski from the portal