Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Verbal: WR Isiah St. Romain

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2024 Verbal: WR Isiah St. Romain

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Allow me to relate my story: In 1967, my HS played basketball against Dickey, ND High School. The walls at the ends of the court were the out of bounds barrier. To inbound the ball your back had to be against the wall. The free throw circle and the center jump circle intersected. The 10 second line was the free throw line extended on the other side of the court. Only good thing about the joint was that you never got winded.
    Sounds like the same dimensions as the old gym in Zap ND. Also, I could swear the gym in Beach ND had upright pillars right on the half court line about 3 ft in from the out of bounds line. I could be wrong on Beach though, mighta been somewhere else.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Golva had a nice steel building retrofitted to something like a bb court.

Then there was Berg elementary in Dickinson with the rubber floor. The stink from the rubber made a guy get nausea and a head ache.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    You and I must be about the same age. Was it Alsen that had the half inch difference at half court? Played in some serious old school Hoosiers type gyms. I remember Drexel going over the top of me for a rebound, I was about at rim level and he was a good 6-8 inches above my hands and grabbed it like i wasn't even there.
    Alsen's black tile floor also had a permanent heaved up spot (maybe 2 or 3 square feet) near the far corner. Thing raised upward by a few inches.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post

Then there was Berg elementary in Dickinson with the rubber floor. The stink from the rubber made a guy get nausea and a head ache.

Better than the carpet floor at Heart River Elementary. Every kid had multiple carpet burns at that school.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Alsen's black tile floor also had a permanent heaved up spot (maybe 2 or 3 square feet) near the far corner. Thing raised upward by a few inches.
    Our home court was short so the the 10 second line was like 8 feet the other side of the half line and this time of year if you got a warmish day, the building would sweat and the floor (tile of course) would get slick...

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post

The best part about Golva was you could snag a handful of popcorn when inbounding under the one basket lol.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Watched St. Romain earlier this year, he was very bouncy and easily the best athlete. For some reason thought he was smaller than he is.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The former gym in Lidgerwood, ND. It was a Depression-era WPA project, I believe. Had an arched roof and just a few rows of bleachers on each side. The first row of bleachers was REALLY close to the court, so you were right up to the fans when taking the ball out on the sidelines. The locker rooms were way down in the basement. I played ball for Wyndmere, and the towns are only 13 miles or so apart. Heated games between the two in the 70's. Made the place crowded, loud, and hot. Great environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Watched St. Romain earlier this year, he was very bouncy and easily the best athlete. For some reason thought he was smaller than he is.
    Refreshing to see your post

Hard to remember what this thread is about

Should have a thread about memory lane because it is nice reading about these guys experiences, although I like reading about the new recruits more [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not till "death do us part"....unless you make another call like that ...you bum!!
    .........good grief..........

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Allow me to relate my story: In 1967, my HS played basketball against Dickey, ND High School. The walls at the ends of the court were the out of bounds barrier. To inbound the ball your back had to be against the wall. The free throw circle and the center jump circle intersected. The 10 second line was the free throw line extended on the other side of the court. Only good thing about the joint was that you never got winded.
    Just one thing to add to the post above about the Dickey HS gym; the basketball bank boards were not glass, they were not metal, they were wood, some sort of slotted wood. I had never seen anything like that in a HS gym before; had seen wooden boards nailed up above a garage door or on the siding of a chicken coop, but never in a high school gym.