Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kish gone?

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Kish gone?

One thing I do know is that burning a bridge in situations like these is never a good idea. I hope he didn’t blatantly tell everyone to come along. That being said You can’t really blame Kish for taking the money (even if he was their 5th choice) when coaches like Hahn make way more than he was here. As someone stated earlier the university has the opportunity to show what type of support they feel wrestling is worth by what they pay this next coach. If in fact Kish is burning bridges how they pay the next guy is a chance to show him they were ok with him leaving.
    Last edited by PaBizon; 05-04-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Write Ben Askren a check!
    College of Business Alumnus

I follow our wrestling team and appreciate all the posters on this forum for their opinions.

Curious how those in the loop feel about Matt Larson and his level of involvement/knowledge with wrestling? Are there resources and commitment to open the checkbook for the new coach and assistants?

Are we competitive with top 15 -25 programs in our coaching salaries?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

I've heard that Larson just cared about the financials of the wrestling program and otherwise was hands off, that discussion was in 2020 so that may have changed.

As far as salaries in the big 12 ndsu was only paying more than UNC and Air Force (but i couldnt find cbu salary)

Jack Maughan is the Sr Associate Athletic Director overseeing the wrestling program. He is definitely closer to the sport than Matt Larsen. I would assume he would have input in hiring a new coach.

533 In a row

Flowrestling radio live says they heard OU is suggesting to Kish to retain some of the assistant coaches already at Oklahoma.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Flowrestling radio live says they heard OU is suggesting to Kish to retain some of the assistant coaches already at Oklahoma.
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think most college wrestling programs only carry 2 full-time, paid assistants, so hopefully that means OU wants both of their current assistants to stay on staff.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Write Ben Askren a check!
    He’s on-record saying that he’d love to be a college coach but doesn’t pursue it because he couldn’t handle having a boss. He said he likes writing his own schedule and and not being told what to do. He also said that he might not make as much as some of the wrestling coaches out there but he’s not that far off. Throw that in with the fact his kids are about that age where he’ll be following them around with their wrestling I’d say he’s pretty happy with where he’s at. Plus he might be a administrations nightmare with some of the things he says and posts on social media.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    He’s on-record saying that he’d love to be a college coach but doesn’t pursue it because he couldn’t handle having a boss. He said he likes writing his own schedule and and not being told what to do. He also said that he might not make as much as some of the wrestling coaches out there but he’s not that far off. Throw that in with the fact his kids are about that age where he’ll be following them around with their wrestling I’d say he’s pretty happy with where he’s at. Plus he might be a administrations nightmare with some of the things he says and posts on social media.
    Hell, tell the man he doesn't have a boss. "We are basically gonna leave you alone. Just do a good job." Send him an offer!
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Nick Heflin was rumored to be the favorite for the OU job at one point. I wonder if he feels jaded by the process/hiring. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is a contender for the NDSU job if Obe leaves.