Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kish gone?

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Kish gone?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    on the surface it feels like this is stinky... but ... i guess we will see.

gotta hire someone with the Minnesota HS Wrestling recruiting pipeline!
    TBH I’d rather have the Oklahoma HS wrestling pipeline which I’m guessing is one of the things Kish had on his Pros/Cons list as a pro. I believe there are currently 9 Oklahoma high school wrestlers on Flo Wrestings top 100 big board for 2024 where I believe Minnesota has less

Edit: I actually went and looked. 2024 OK 9 MN 6 2025 OK 4 MN 2 Granted these are recruiting forecasts and not always correct but the cupboard isn’t bare in OK. Also TX is increasingly putting out more high end recruits.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    TBH I’d rather have the Oklahoma HS wrestling pipeline which I’m guessing is one of the things Kish had on his Pros/Cons list as a pro. I believe there are currently 9 Oklahoma high school wrestlers on Flo Wrestings top 100 big board for 2024 where I believe Minnesota has less

Edit: I actually went and looked. 2024 OK 9 MN 6 2025 OK 4 MN 2 Granted these are recruiting forecasts and not always correct but the cupboard isn’t bare in OK. Also TX is increasingly putting out more high end recruits.
    My pipe dream wish list for a new head coach would have a good recruiting pipeline to Arrowhead high school.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Portal closes Sunday. I would like to see Obe as the next head coach. If they can announce soon that should help guys stick around.

You nailed it. NDSU needs to act fast with Obe or this could be like starting over.

Kish got a better job for over double his current salary. Happy for him, sucks for this program. If not Blanc give me Steiner asap.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    My pipe dream wish list for a new head coach would have a good recruiting pipeline to Arrowhead high school.
    Is there such a person that even exists?

Trevor Brandvold and Obe Blanc should be the top two targets IMO. I'd be happy with either.

Granted, I have no clue who is interested, but Brandvold has done a very good job at the U and Obe would offer the best chance to retain the current guys. Brandvold's brother in law is former NDSU BB player Jaxon Knotek, so he's plenty familiar with the university, athletic department, and facilities.

If Obe got the job, I think my ideal staff for him would be adding Nick Gwiazdoski as the top assistant and adding Sykora to the full time staff.

A third guy I'd love to get would be Mark Perry, but I think he's firmly in the RTC/freestyle world.

Wyoming coach Mark Branch would be my wildcard. I'd love to have him and Wyoming was decimated this past year. Others have been interested in him in the past, but he's remained loyal to Wyoming, but he has sounded like he may need change recently.

Some high level assistants I'd be curious about: Jared Frayer of Va Tech, Tony Ramos of UNC, and to a lesser extent OK States Chris Perry.

Long shots with big names: Nebraska's Tervel Dlagnev, Ohio State's Logan Stieber, and Penn's Mark Hall.

All pure speculation on my part, and I'd expect coach Blanc to get the job, which is a good outcome.

It has to be Obe. I’ll be shocked if it’s not

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    It has to be Obe. I’ll be shocked if it’s not
    Me too. I was stunned when Kish got Obe to come here. He came to be an associate head coach and has done well. His experience, standing in the program, and his outstanding track record at NCST make him the logical choice.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know some ND high school coaches who weren’t huge Kish fans. Thought he was doing an ok job, but I think Kish just rubbed some people the wrong way. Many of these same people have never said a negative thing about Obe.