Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patty Corwin retires

Default Patty Corwin retires

I took one of her sociology classes so count me in the 56,000. The class was in the old south engineering building which either was demolished for being a danger to the pigeons that tried to live there or simply disintegrated into its component parts (twigs, pigeon crap and old egg cartons.)

Anyway, I liked the class a lot. As a bonus, she had some pretty cool stories. Example: When she used to work for the Fargo PD, they used to raid hotels looking for unmarried couples staying in the same room.

'It is such a great career:' 56,000 students later, Patty Corwin to retire from NDSU - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports

Default Re: Patty Corwin retires

I had her as well....for intro to sociology. I thought it was pretty interesting and really liked her as an instructor. Reading the Forum article I was amazed that she was a detective....she had to be super young at that time. I always thought detectives had to put in years as a "street cop" before that. Maybe I was wrong about that or maybe a lot has changed over the decades.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

I also took sociology from her. I think I took a 2nd class with her. Enjoyed her very much. Congratulations on a well-deserved retirement.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I had her as well....for intro to sociology. I thought it was pretty interesting and really liked her as an instructor. Reading the Forum article I was amazed that she was a detective....she had to be super young at that time. I always thought detectives had to put in years as a "street cop" before that. Maybe I was wrong about that or maybe a lot has changed over the decades.
    In the early '70s, there were still lots of jobs more or less completely off limits to women, including being a uniformed street cop. Hell, Fargo was more stick-up-the-ass than Bismarck for lots of its history before it flipped around in the '70s. Anyway, plainclothes women cops could do stuff that thumb-shaped guys in crewcuts could not.

<insert the "more you know" rainbow graphic>

I took her class and enjoyed it. She was way too liberal for my liking, but she was clearly a great teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I took one of her sociology classes so count me in the 56,000. The class was in the old south engineering building which either was demolished for being a danger to the pigeons that tried to live there or simply disintegrated into its component parts (twigs, pigeon crap and old egg cartons.)

Anyway, I liked the class a lot. As a bonus, she had some pretty cool stories. Example: When she used to work for the Fargo PD, they used to raid hotels looking for unmarried couples staying in the same room.

'It is such a great career:' 56,000 students later, Patty Corwin to retire from NDSU - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports
    I took her class in 2011 I think. She was very nice.

Shes sorta an institution on her own. NDSU is a lesser place without her. I think she may have given us hugs when we turned in our final exams but I might be imagining that.
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I had her class Fall quarter of my Freshman year (1989). Great class! I remember her detective stories too. There must have been crossover to teaching because I remember one involving finding 2 of her students.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Had her for sociology in 1977.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I took her class and enjoyed it. She was way too liberal for my liking, but she was clearly a great teacher.
    Isn’t that the case for most professors?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Isn’t that the case for most professors?
    Pretty much! However, she was a little more open about it than what I saw from others. With all that said, college was good for me to learn to see things from other perspectives and I did very much value that part of the class. I was fascinated about when we talked about Carl Marx's social theories and it really helped me understand why his message is so addictive, even if completely misguided. (And in fairness, he was not completely off base on everything....)