Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather Causes Schedule Changes - MSU & ORU

Default Weather Causes Schedule Changes - MSU & ORU

The beginning of the Newman Field Experience 2023 has been placed on hold again, as the home opener against Mayville State University has been cancelled due to field conditions and Wednesday's rain.

The Summit League series against league-leading Oral Roberts University has been relocated to Doc Ross Field in Council Bluffs, IA. for the same reasons, field conditions and weather forecast. Game 1 will begin at 3:00 PM CDT on Friday, April 21st. Game 2 is set for Saturday April 22nd at 2:00 PM CDT, with the series finale beginning at 1:00 PM CDT on Sunday, April 23rd. The Bison are 1-1 this season at Doc Ross Field, having split a Summit League double-header with SDSU on March 31st, winning game one 10-2 and losing game two 9-8.

The next scheduled games at Newman Field are a 3 game Summit League set against Western Illinois University beginning April 28th.
    Damn, I'm Good!

Default Re: Weather Causes Schedule Changes - MSU & ORU

Golden Eagle fans wondering about the specifics re: "field conditions" preventing play in Fargo. No tarp? Details would be appreciated.

Also wondering if the change in venue means no streaming to watch the games?
    Last edited by Old Titan; 04-20-2023 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Titan View Post
    Golden Eagle fans wondering about the specifics re: "field conditions" preventing play in Fargo. No tarp? Details would be appreciated.

Also wondering if the change in venue means no streaming to watch the games?
    LoL because ever since the Minor League Redhawks lost their Canadian Groundskeeper a few years back the field has gone to crap.

it's all grass. no turf titan

I would've snow blowed it off about March 1. but that's just me.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

The weather forecast for the Fargo area is calling for somewhere between 2 - 6 inches of snow to fall between Thursday to noon on Saturday. The total snowfall for this winter at Hector International Airport (about 1/2 mile from Newman) this winter was 56.7 inches. The temperature highs for Friday and Saturday are in the mid to low thirties. The ground is saturated with a rapid snowmelt and the Red River is above flood stage in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Even a "Canadian groundskeeper" wouldn't have a solution to these conditions...

The gobison,com website currently shows live stat stream only for these games, but I'd keep an eye on that web page to see if video stream is added between now and game time.
    Damn, I'm Good!

Simple fix, folks: turf infield/base paths/mound/etc. such as so many college baseball programs have installed these days, particularly the ones in the North:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dca...0-e7a661e4.jpg

Your over-achieving baseball program deserves facilities that can be utilized in April and May; short of reconfiguring the Fargodome for baseball (which I assume is logistically impossible), a turf infield is the way to go. If a little ol' bible college like ORU can afford it, then perpetual FCS football champion NDSU should be able to muster up the dollars as well.

That is, if NDSU Athletics is actually serious about supporting baseball...

Simple fix, folks: turf infield/base paths/mound/etc. such as so many college baseball programs have installed these days, particularly the ones in the North:

Your over-achieving baseball program deserves facilities that can be utilized in April and May; short of reconfiguring the Fargodome for baseball (which I assume is logistically impossible), a turf infield is the way to go. If a little ol' bible college like ORU can afford it, then perpetual FCS football champion NDSU should be able to muster up the dollars as well.

That is, if NDSU Athletics is actually serious about supporting baseball...
    Not sure that American Association F-M Redhawks would allow a turf infield is a problem, they control most of what happens at Newman Outdoor Field. NDSU gets to play on it because it is located on NDSU land or formerly was NDSU land. They play from late May to mid-September when almost all wet snow/field issues are non-existent. Next year NDSU could be playing by March 15th, just the way we roll up here.

Unless global warming accelarates exponentially, I'm afraid you are more often doomed to spending March getting beat-up on the road, and April ankle-deep in soggy permafrost, before May finally affords some decent weather.

And, spending half your travel budget on buses to (and motels in) Council Bluffs, IA.
    Last edited by Old Titan; 04-20-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Unless global warming accelarates exponentially, I'm afraid you are more often doomed to spending March getting beat-up on the road, and April ankle-deep in soggy permafrost, before May finally affords some decent weather.

And, spending half your travel budget on buses to (and motels in) Council Bluffs, IA.
    You are correct titan..... ORU is a baseball powerhouse, props to them! Plus the ORU @ NDSU series in the past in Fargo have had great attendence and quite a bit of fan participation and back and forth with the ORU players!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

[QUOTE=Old Titan;1615734]Simple fix, folks: turf infield/base paths/mound/etc. such as so many college baseball programs have installed these days, particularly the ones in the North:

The Fargo-West Fargo area has 2 fields configured exactly as you suggested. Young Field in West Fargo is under the jurisdiction of West Fargo Parks. Starion Field at Tharaldson Baseball Complex is under the Fargo Parks and Recreation umbrella. Having the surface that you think solves the problem does not change the weather forecast for this weekend. Doc Ross Field will provide a great venue for this match-up. It may actually provide for more participation by your fans, as it is a mere 383-mile drive to Council Bluffs vs the 805-mile drive to Fargo.
    Damn, I'm Good!

No question the weather up there is not cooperating. It's a challenge all northern conferences face with the scheduling 'hard stop" of when the College World Series is held.

But I hope the folks in Council Bluffs didn't order more hot dogs in anticipation of ORU fans making the 6-hour drive. It's a perfect 72 degrees here today; I wonder if ORU would have been willing to host the series on short notice and pick up the Bison's tab for travel and lodging (or at least half of it)?